2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

OEM Interior "carbon fiber" trim pieces

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 01:44 PM
Originally Posted by CrystalFiveMT
Last nite I was up till 2 am. This morning woke up at 8:30 - 9. Can't go back to sleep.
Oh that's awful! I went through a patch like that so know that it's no fun. Hopefully you get back on track soon.

Psstt....we're both now at Rep Power 9! And I don't post at 1 AM...just saying.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:47 PM
5 Year Member
Lol. I know. And you're leading # of posts by just a little. Looks like I'll be up at 3 am to post more and overtake you, hehe.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:48 PM
I suppose it's better than the plain old silver, but carbon fiber stuff doesn't grab me like it used to, unless you build the entire car out of it. Maybe I'm getting old.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:48 PM
5 Year Member
bump in posts

Old 10-13-2008, 01:50 PM
Lol. I know. And you're leading # of posts by just a little. Looks like I'll be up at 3 am to post more and overtake you, hehe.
Well at least there's 1 advantage to getting less sleep!

Old 10-13-2008, 01:51 PM
Originally Posted by n2oinferno
I suppose it's better than the plain old silver, but carbon fiber stuff doesn't grab me like it used to, unless you build the entire car out of it. Maybe I'm getting old.
Well I AM getting the carbon-fiber B pillars next!

Old 10-13-2008, 01:55 PM
5 Year Member
Maybe you should then call your car "Carbon Pumpkin"?

Old 10-13-2008, 02:03 PM
Maybe you should then call your car "Carbon Pumpkin"?
Oh no, it's definitely the "GR8 Pumpkin". Just waxed it yesterday and it's looking especially spectacular today, with all the fall leaves cascading down around it! Ah and it's Thanksgiving Day today in Canada too. Better head out and hug the Pumpkin. On second thought, that would cause smudges after all that hand buffing....

Old 10-13-2008, 02:07 PM
5 Year Member
Today's Canada Thanksgiving? I dint know that. I'm off from work to for Columbus Day. Thanks Columbus!!

Old 10-13-2008, 02:10 PM
Today's Canada Thanksgiving? I dint know that. I'm off from work to for Columbus Day. Thanks Columbus!!
Yup. I gave thanks yesterday (day early) by hand washing and waxing the Pumpkin. I really am very thankful for that little car after the fiasco that was my prior car, the Mazda3! Loving it more by the day....

Old 10-13-2008, 02:11 PM
5 Year Member
I thought you loved your 3. What was wrong with it?

Old 10-13-2008, 02:19 PM
I thought you loved your 3. What was wrong with it?
we're hilarious! Playing tag all over this forum and all. We really should get out more.

To make a very VERY long story short, I purchased my Mazda3 Sport GT in 2004. Had to order it from Japan as it was the first release year and none in my color (winning blue) could be found. I had it Krown rustproofed yearly (cost $125/year) yet the car developed serious rusting on the rear panels (quarter panels, lower trim of rear passenger doors, rear bumper seams) within 1 year. Mazda wouldn't do anything about it.

This year the car developed bubbling/blistering over most panels (all doors, liftgate, front quarter panel). I got serious about having Mazda take responsibility since it was clearly due to a factory defect. Eventually, after 3 months and organizing a group effort, I got them to fully cover the repair bill (over $2500 CAD) for myself and the others in my group. After viewing the pictures of the repair process, I decided to trade the car in since they did a patch job on the rust. I'm sure many of you know that rust is like "car cancer" and is very difficult to get rid of, unless you do an excellent repair job. Well, they didn't so I opted to have the paint repairs done then buy my new Fit. Pretty sure it was a wise decision....

Old 10-13-2008, 02:22 PM
5 Year Member
I know. I'm just trying to catch up to your # of posts, hehe. First one to Rep Power 10 wins!

Did you see any evidence of "rustproofing" from Krown? That's why I don't opt for any of those aftermarket "protection" products from the dealers. I don't think anything gets applied.

Old 10-13-2008, 02:51 PM
I know. I'm just trying to catch up to your # of posts, hehe. First one to Rep Power 10 wins!

Did you see any evidence of "rustproofing" from Krown? That's why I don't opt for any of those aftermarket "protection" products from the dealers. I don't think anything gets applied.
Oh it got rustproofed all right. They drill holes so I saw the plugs in my doors. Also, the stuff was heavily applied so all my hinges were super greasy afterwards. It also smelled for a few days and leaked so I had plenty of evidence that they did actually apply the product. It just never worked on my Mazda3 since the OTHER side of the metal (where no Krown rustproofing was applied) was obviously defective. Either Mazda didn't properly treat the metal or the primer was defective.

In any event, it was a real mess in the end so I had to cram on new cars in July! Basically opened Consumer Reports, looked for non-hybrid vehicles with overall mileage of a minimum of 30 MPG in a hatchback form (don't like sedans....just me!) and ended up with a list of 3: Nissan Versa CVT (really did like it but reliability can't touch Honda), Toyota Yaris (off list since too ugly for words), and Honda Fit. Then I found out the Fit was coming out with a second generation.

So yes, bought the car in exactly the WRONG circumstances: hadn't test driven it let alone SEEN it and in super hot demand so little flexibility on pricing (though I did get $400 off MSRP) and financing. Oh plus the 2.5 month waiting period didn't help either. Oh well, it's all good now...

Old 10-13-2008, 03:15 PM
5 Year Member
I dint know you got $400 off sticker, (or maybe my sleep deprivation affected my memory) but that's amazing. I don't know if anyone else bought theirs for under sticker.

So how would you compare your 3 to your new Fit overall?

This is funny - we're chatting off topic, accumulating post count. Yes we need more distractions in our respective lives.

Old 10-13-2008, 03:28 PM
It is true if you have the carbon fiber trim installed then doors visors cannot be installed?

Old 10-13-2008, 03:30 PM
I dint know you got $400 off sticker, (or maybe my sleep deprivation affected my memory) but that's amazing. I don't know if anyone else bought theirs for under sticker.
I might as well contribute to this OT conversation.

I paid MRSP and got this stuff for free:
- 3M clear bra package $695
- Security package including wheel locks and window etching $288
- Administration fee $199

Admin fee they can eat 100% and if I assume the other stuff cost them 50% of what they charge, then I probably got about $500 off MSRP.

Old 10-13-2008, 03:40 PM

So how would you compare your 3 to your new Fit overall?

This is funny - we're chatting off topic, accumulating post count. Yes we need more distractions in our respective lives.
Well as long as we're amused, right? Yes, I got $400 off sticker.

Going from a 160 hp "Zoom Zoom" compact to a 117 hp subcompact, I expected to be downgrading. Honestly, the '09 Fit Sport is so much better than my '04 Mazda3 Sport GT in almost all categories! Ok, the trunk is 6" shorter in length (yes, I took measurements pre/post trade in) and when I really step on the accelerator it's like "the little engine that could" if there's any slight incline, but those were the only compromises. With the Magic Seats, the cargo space is so flexible as to easily make up for the 6" less trunk length.

One more thing...the cupholders for the 2 front passengers were superior in my Mazda3 as compared to the cupholders in front of the shifter in my Fit. Those are too short to accomodate a taller item like a bottle. And yes, I know there are bottle holders in the doors. I'm just saying those front cupholders should be deeper. I typically use the ones at the corners of the dash BUT using those blocks the side vents.

Other things I prefered in my Mazda3: 2 map lights, gear indicator, 2 trip odometers (liked to set 1 for trip and the other between fill-ups), automatic lights/wipers, light switch on trunk light so could turn off if trunk open for an extended period, centre console (with deep CD compartment and top shelf) standard, floor mats and cargo cover standard, remote release for fuel door, audio controls on steering wheel, 55 L gas tank, seat height/lumbar adjustment, and I did prefer the seating material which was woven fabric vs. "velour" edges in the Fit (picks up lint/hair like crazy)! Oh and my Mazda3 glovebox was DEEP.

Things I prefer in my Fit: trunk is hard plastic vs. cheap carpet, trunk is deeper/taller than my Mazda3, hello MAGIC SEATS!, more rear passenger leg room, seats are 3" higher, fuel cap holder in lid, front grille is tightly placed black plastic vs. painted in Mazda3, positioning of climate control buttons, quality of audio system, ability to play my ipod, contour of seats (built in lumbar support and side bolstering), fuel economy display, maintenance minder system, and hello ORANGE color!

I did like the styling on my Mazda3 Sport GT and the color (winning blue) though I like my '09 Fit Sport (orange revolution) just as much, if not more! There's a bunch of other small things that separate the two cars in my mind, but overall the Fit is a much nicer package and is more fuel efficient to boot! I'm averaging about 1 L/100 KM less fuel so far which I'm pleased with. Oh then, of course, there's the Honda reliability/owner satisfaction factors which were major influences on my buying decision.

Phew! Need a snack after that...

Last edited by FitCanada_Girl; 10-13-2008 at 03:50 PM.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:44 PM
Originally Posted by FiveFreshFish
I might as well contribute to this OT conversation.

I paid MRSP and got this stuff for free:
- 3M clear bra package $695
- Security package including wheel locks and window etching $288
- Administration fee $199

Admin fee they can eat 100% and if I assume the other stuff cost them 50% of what they charge, then I probably got about $500 off MSRP.
Dang! Oh well. Considering the fluke of my ordering a Tidewater LX and the dealer just happened to have a "non-reserved" orange Sport auto coming in, on top of my Mazda3 drama, and I was just happy to get into an '09 Fit this year! Didn't want to chance another winter with the Mazda.

My dealership didn't have a clear bra package. I paid $900 cash to have this done 400 km from where I live (but where my sister resides). My "security package" was just window etching for $399 which my dealer added to the contract without consulting me. I had that removed the minute I actually noticed it.

Old 10-13-2008, 03:48 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the review.

Did you know that the 09 Fit is classified as a "mid-size"?

Was your 3 an auto?

When I saw your post I went to the kitchen and grabbed a snack.

Quick Reply: OEM Interior "carbon fiber" trim pieces