2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

09 fit manual or auto????

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 06:51 PM
5 Year Member
09 fit manual or auto????

which do you prefer and wat do u think is better

i cant find a manual anywhere =[

Old 10-09-2008, 08:31 PM
This is something you must choose. But the auto is a 5 speed and is very good and gets good gas mpg. I think you need the sport so you can shift when you want.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:43 PM
5 Year Member
Manual Transmission FTW. I've heard no complaints about the MT of either the GE or GD. From what I've seen, people who go from AT to MT swear they'll never go back to AT.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:14 PM
I gotta have a manual. Especially from Honda. They are always silky smooth and a joy to drive. I don't like automatics; it's like driving a bumper car. As of today, I won't even consider the car if it doesn't come in Manual. I think the whole Automatic Transmission with those paddles is beyond stupid. But to each his/her own.

I'm dreading the future if a Hybrid is the only car one can buy because so far it appears Hybrids only come with Automatic Transmissions.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:30 PM
5 Year Member
Manual all the way for this car/engine combo.

Old 10-10-2008, 10:03 AM
5 Year Member
I agree

Originally Posted by jenhonski
I think the whole Automatic Transmission with those paddles is beyond stupid. But to each his/her own.

I test drove the 2007 Fit way back in 2006 - July (Auto) , August (5spd & auto again for comparison). I can't get used to the paddles, and don't like the feel of the auto. The 5 speed is more to my liking, probably cause I've been mainly driving manual cars for 20yrs. To each his/her own.

I would have bought the 07 Fit but couldnt get the deal I wanted, and I was frustrated with the majority of the dealerships mistruths. Thanks to fitfreak.net I knew more about the car than all the sales people, all except for one, and he's the one I bought the 09 Sport Navi 5spd from (whenever it gets here).

I think if you've been driving auto's most of your life go with the auto, and vice versa. Whatever you're more comfortable.

Old 10-10-2008, 10:24 AM
I just drove 300 miles to pick up my new silver 09 Fit Sport MT. Couldn't find one locally with the manual (lots of AT though). After 5 years with a car with an auto, it was time to go back. Shifts very nicely, and seems a good match for the engine.

MT vs AT is always a matter of personal preference. I just like manuals better, even though it means I now have to teach my wife to shift.

Old 10-10-2008, 10:46 AM
5 Year Member
09 Fit's equipped with the manual seem to rev 1000+RPM's higher than the auto at highway speeds - this was the deal killer for me as I drive 90% highway. I was going 65 in 5th gear, I forget the exact RPM of each but there was a difference of over 1000 rpm's, therefore the engine was louder/more noticeable with the manual...just one thing to consider if you prefer a more quiet ride on the highway.

Last edited by reako; 10-10-2008 at 11:44 AM.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:17 AM
Engine does rev a bit with the manual. I was pulling a bit over 3500 at 75 on the freeway drive back from the dealer. Didn't sound too bad, though, and Honda engines are known to be a bit revvy. Still should have gotten around 40 MPG, so no complaints.

Then again, my last motorcycle cruised at 6000 rpm (redline at 9,500) so I'm used to higher numbers.

Old 10-10-2008, 11:23 AM
Retired Moderator
Get the MT, cheaper, more fun, better MPG, more control, ect...

Old 10-10-2008, 12:42 PM
Originally Posted by jenhonski

I'm dreading the future if a Hybrid is the only car one can buy because so far it appears Hybrids only come with Automatic Transmissions.
well there is hope, the honda insight (the first 3 dr crx-looking one) was stick

Old 10-10-2008, 12:55 PM
I love my MT. I was a little concerned early on about the higher rpms on the highway. Non-factor at this point. I'm getting great mpg and having fun at the same time.

Old 10-10-2008, 01:21 PM
Even though they are getting better on the making auto tranny (a tad smoother now) nothing beats the control and feel of MT.

But you might want to consider your driving condition when making the decision.
If you do long commute on heavy traffic it will be less tiring with Auto.
It (auto) might be easier to sell too.

The drawback for long term is auto tranny will be more expensive to fix than MT.

Old 10-10-2008, 02:55 PM
Black Pearl fit sport auto. Wanted the stick but rpms to high and the paddleshift in sport mode is just as easy to short shift...THUNDER

Old 10-10-2008, 05:42 PM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by LittleFit
which do you prefer and wat do u think is better

i cant find a manual anywhere =[

first things first you have to decide for yourself.

but here is my way of looking at this.
first you have to think.
do i do more city or highway driveing?
i did 90% highway. so it was a no brainer.
auto for me.
the auto revs lower than the manual.

now mind you i love manuals i even ordered one.
but when i found out there was new gear ratios
and the manual was going to be reving higher on the
highway i changed my order to automatic.
so my way of looking at it if you do alot of city driving
go for the manual.
if you do alot of highway get the auto.

i also love these paddle shifters. just put the car is S
and it drives like a stick anyway. just the clutch is missing.

Old 10-10-2008, 05:47 PM
I don't think a comparison strictly on rpms is right. Apples and oranges in my opinion. If they were directly comparable then we would see a drastic difference in EPA estimates between AT and MT. There are also more drivetrain losses in the AT. Feel free to tell me I am wrong... I could be.

Old 10-10-2008, 05:57 PM
The way I see it...

Go manual, or go home!

I don't care how much highway driving you do, manual will always afford you more control over the car, especially in emergency situations.

I'm really going to miss manual when most cars are electric (ie. transmission-less) :/

Old 10-10-2008, 07:20 PM
5 Year Member
It does matter on your preference. I use my fit as my daily driver and I driver over 100miles a day and with the traffic here in LA I choose the auto for the convenience. Don't get me wrong I love manual cars which why I still have my 5spd coupe for the weekends It all depends on the driver and situation.

Old 10-10-2008, 10:59 PM
Never buy AT

Just like everybody else says. Its preference. We aren't buying your car, you are

Old 10-10-2008, 11:50 PM
Originally Posted by pinballlooking
This is something you must choose. But the auto is a 5 speed and is very good and gets good gas mpg. I think you need the sport so you can shift when you want.
I've never owned an automatic before--always sticks.

However, this sport shift is better than the versions by other manufacturers.

Most manufacturers you have the shift override on or off. This car is always on--even when it is in regular drive, you can still override the shifting by using the paddles. Then, if you put it in manual mode, you control when it shifts... It will downshift when you stop, but I think that is all it will do.

So, in short--I'm a manual driver that is pleased and enjoying my AT with sport shifting.

Without sport shifting paddles? NFW.

Best of luck with your decision.

Quick Reply: 09 fit manual or auto????