2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

09 fit manual or auto????

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 12:50 PM
its not a sports car get an auto.

Old 10-14-2008, 01:32 PM
5 Year Member
It may not be a sports car, but a manual tranny will make nearly any car more enjoyable to drive.

Old 10-14-2008, 02:50 PM
5 Year Member
After driving a Lexus with paddle shifters for this past week or more, I still can't get used to the paddles.

I definately need a MT, I'm so glad I decided to go with the MT, now its just a matter of waiting a little more time.
I would have never been fully satisfied with the paddles.

It really depends on what you're used to. MT or auto, you will have to drive it so be comfortable with it.

Old 10-14-2008, 03:32 PM
5 Year Member
I have the AT. I love it! Gotta love no having to drive a stick in L.A. traffic.

Old 10-14-2008, 04:46 PM
Originally Posted by JDMxGE8
I have the AT. I love it! Gotta love no having to drive a stick in L.A. traffic.

Yah, definitely agree with that. Driving manual trans. would really be un enjoyable in stop and go traffic. Big time.

I'm way too lazy to shift every time I have to slow down or speed up. My friend drives manual and he hates it.

Old 10-14-2008, 05:28 PM
Originally Posted by noxikon
Yah, definitely agree with that. Driving manual trans. would really be un enjoyable in stop and go traffic. Big time.

I'm way too lazy to shift every time I have to slow down or speed up. My friend drives manual and he hates it.
I think it just depends on what kind of person you are. My brother got a manual (I have one also) and he was really worried about the stop & go traffic on the way to work - and he drives ~30 miles in stop & go. He's loving the manual and has not been a bit bothered by driving it in stop and go traffic (neither have I - and I drive about 20 miles to work in stop/go traffic).

One other thing to remember is that by going with a manual you'll also save ~$850 over the cost of an automatic. When I go out of town and have to rent an automatic, the driving experience is no longer fun for me and I get extremely bored!

Old 10-14-2008, 05:32 PM
5 Year Member
Here here. I have a manual and live in L.A. I have no regrets. All my cars have been manuals, though I grew up in NY.

One you're not in traffic, the manual rocks. This car, unlike the GDs, are happy to rev to redline and make pretty linear power right up to it. The manual really makes good use of the power.

Old 10-14-2008, 05:37 PM
5 Year Member
I love driving stick. I'll probably always have one car that's a stick in my life. I still have my DB8, which I still drive a lot. But I gave it a lot of thought and went with the AT. I live 10 miles from my work in Downtown L.A. It takes me at least 30 minutes to get to work. It takes about 30-45 minutes to get home. My girlfriend lives in San Diego. Approximately 120 miles away. Went to go see her on Friday afternoons/nights, it takes me about 3 hours to get there. I spend about 1.5-2 hours in traffic on the 5 freeway. Driving stick isn't fun sitting in mad traffic.

Old 10-14-2008, 05:47 PM
Originally Posted by SeattleRain
I think it just depends on what kind of person you are. My brother got a manual (I have one also) and he was really worried about the stop & go traffic on the way to work - and he drives ~30 miles in stop & go. He's loving the manual and has not been a bit bothered by driving it in stop and go traffic (neither have I - and I drive about 20 miles to work in stop/go traffic).

One other thing to remember is that by going with a manual you'll also save ~$850 over the cost of an automatic. When I go out of town and have to rent an automatic, the driving experience is no longer fun for me and I get extremely bored!
im the same way.....when my prev. car was auto i found myself getting bored / sleepy during traffic...at least with manual, you are forced to take action and concentrate more

Old 10-14-2008, 05:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by EzeE1o
im the same way.....when my prev. car was auto i found myself getting bored / sleepy during traffic...at least with manual, you are forced to take action and concentrate more
Very true.

Old 10-14-2008, 06:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JDMxGE8
Driving stick isn't fun sitting in mad traffic.

Exactly. I drive 44 miles each way everyday in the Dallas area. Even with air conditioning, in the summer you can feel the road rage building when traffic is at a complete standstill, and every time it does move everyone is cutting in and out of traffic. My brother leaves his WRX up here for me to "babysit", and I occasionally drive it to work. The stop and go takes all the fun out of that car.

I do take it out in the country from time to time for some air

Old 10-14-2008, 06:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cranky18
Exactly. I drive 44 miles each way everyday in the Dallas area. Even with air conditioning, in the summer you can feel the road rage building when traffic is at a complete standstill, and every time it does move everyone is cutting in and out of traffic. My brother leaves his WRX up here for me to "babysit", and I occasionally drive it to work. The stop and go takes all the fun out of that car.

I do take it out in the country from time to time for some air
And it make it worse. I have an ACT Heavy Duty clutch with Street Disc and an ACT Prolite flywheel (8lbs.). Definitely not fun.

^ DB8, not the GE8.

Old 10-14-2008, 06:09 PM
I ride my bike 16 miles each way to work. It's fun cruising past bumper to bumper traffic...

How many AT people actually drove an MT? I was amazed at how soft the clutch is. It's almost effortless.

Old 10-14-2008, 06:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cyclefit
I ride my bike 16 miles each way to work. It's fun cruising past bumper to bumper traffic...
I'm an avid cyclist as well. If I could I would ride to work and back everyday!

Old 10-14-2008, 06:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cranky18
I'm an avid cyclist as well. If I could I would ride to work and back everyday!
x2!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-14-2008, 06:19 PM
Sorry! Didn't mean to rub it in. I guess reading this thread has reminded me that I am lucky to be within reasonable riding distance to/from work.

The Fit is my fun car ... and my wife's commuter.

Old 10-15-2008, 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by Neebs
It's joke on Honda-tech.
lol poping v-tec...

well im a manual driver also but the A/T fit sports w. paddle shifting isn't that bad what so ever. other then the damn paddles are stuck on the steering wheel, which makes turns and shifting pretty retarded. lol

GOOD LUCK! choose wisely

Old 10-15-2008, 08:46 PM
I'm getting a manual transmission, but it's a lot easier to find an automatic (if that matters)... I'm having a really hard time finding a manual in Oregon.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:28 PM
Originally Posted by pizzicato
I'm getting a manual transmission, but it's a lot easier to find an automatic (if that matters)... I'm having a really hard time finding a manual in Oregon.
Good choice!!!

Old 10-16-2008, 09:26 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by pizzicato

Congrats!!!

I'm going thru the same wait. I figure I've waited this long (been wanting to buy the Fit since 2006) I can wait a few more weeks.

If I was willing to get the Auto version I could have driven the car off the same day, a different dealership had the Sport Navi AT in my 2 favorite colors, but I needed my Manual.

Quick Reply: 09 fit manual or auto????