2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Unplayable file

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 10:16 AM
5 Year Member
Unhappy Unplayable file

I get this error on about every other file in my USB Flash Drive. The manual states that it's a DRM issue, but I'm getting the error on other songs from the same album that play just well.

Old 10-08-2008, 12:32 PM
Drm

OK, I'm walking in IFFY intellectual territory here since it's been a while since I've been the computer geek. DRM files are usually "tied" to one player with some identifying number. If you purchased these songs through Itunes or whatever they may only be playable with that player, probably an Ipod. Most computer freaks avoid anything with DRM (digital rights management). DRM means limitations as far as the number of devices you can play it on or how long you can play it. Any computer geeks with more recent knowledge especially as it relates to the GE-8s need to chime in. I wish I had a USB port on my GD-3 but I don't!

Old 10-08-2008, 12:38 PM
5 Year Member
yeah.. pretty much music from walmart or places like that has the copyrighted digitalized material embedded into the song.

just think of a hotel door and card keys... all keys fit the door, but only 1 can open it.

Old 10-08-2008, 04:21 PM
Probably a DRM issue. I think that are programs that will strip DRM from songs, but if you already bought it, might as well run over to a Bit torrent site and download some non DRM copies, considering you already own the album.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:49 PM
Depending on where you got the music from, like the others say Itunes etc, most of those files are bugged with DRM and playing on any other device which supports the file format just wont happen. Using an Ipod however, the ipod itself acts like a handshake agreement with the USB adapter in the fit and plays everything either purchased or ripped.

There are programs available which strip the music files of their DRM handcuffs, but the act itself isn't allowed but I say stuff that. What was ever wrong with buying a CD and playing it whatever you wanted. Now because MP3 is convenient and you can make playlists etc, they had to find some way of making it impossible for the average Jo.

Old 10-09-2008, 02:01 AM
5 Year Member
If its a DRM issue then the file is a DRM-Protected WMA audio files most likely from Itunes. The only way to get the music playing and avoid the error is to convert the DRM protected files to unprotected files (MP3, nonprotected WMA, etc) using an MP3 or WMA converter.

Last edited by Neebs; 10-09-2008 at 11:46 AM.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:01 AM
Amazon's songs are not DRM protected at all. I will not buy digital songs from elsewhere because of the DRM issue.

Old 10-09-2008, 10:29 AM
5 Year Member
There are programs available that will strip the DRM encryption from the files. You just have to search for them.

Old 10-14-2008, 05:53 PM
I am having the same issue as the original poster. Every other file inside of a folder is displayed as an "Unplayable File". These are files that I ripped from my own CDs, so DRM isn't an issue.

The first file in a folder plays fine, the second one is unplayable, third is fine, and so on. The USB drive is USB 2.0, and formatted in a MS-DOS (FAT) filesystem (not NTFS). And the files were copied onto it manually with a Mac.

If anyone has any ideas I'm all ears. I'm going to try a few things and if there is any change, I'll post what caused it.

Last edited by ravensight; 10-14-2008 at 06:03 PM.
Old 10-14-2008, 05:55 PM
5 Year Member
Hmmm I'm using a Mac too.

Old 10-14-2008, 06:25 PM
Okay, looking at it more closely, I have a theory as to what is wrong. (Won't be able to test it for a couple hours until I'm off work.)

The Mac OS saves some extra files when it saves on a non-Mac formatted (HFS+) drive. These extra files are the same name as the original file, but with ._ in front of them. I think that the way the Fit's stereo is reading the directory, is that it sees the original file, plays it, then sees the resource fork file, shows "Unplayable File" and skips it, and moves to the next file.

I'm going to manually remove those resource fork files and test it out.

EDIT: Those files were indeed the unplayable ones. Removing them got rid of the message.

Here are a few solutions to the problem:

1. Just deal with it, you're not actually missing hearing any music files.
2. Manually remove the resource fork files (either using the Terminal application, or by tossing the drive onto a Windows or Linux machine and deleting them).
3. Format the drive as a Mac-formatted drive (HFS+) BUT: I don't know if the Fit stereo will read this format, and you wouldn't be able to use the drive on a Windows machine. I wouldn't recommend this solution unless you know what you are doing, and have a way to re-format the drive back to a FAT filesystem if it doesn't work.

Last edited by ravensight; 10-15-2008 at 12:37 AM. Reason: discovered solution
Old 10-15-2008, 09:33 AM
5 Year Member
Yeah I've noticed those files when I transfer files from a Mac then go view them on a PC.
Now I know to just delete them on my flash drives before I play them, so I wont have this problem when the car finally arrives.

Good thinking! +1

Old 10-15-2008, 09:38 AM
5 Year Member
So, the solution is get rid of mac, buy PC

Old 10-15-2008, 09:50 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ravensight
Okay, looking at it more closely, I have a theory as to what is wrong. (Won't be able to test it for a couple hours until I'm off work.)

The Mac OS saves some extra files when it saves on a non-Mac formatted (HFS+) drive. These extra files are the same name as the original file, but with ._ in front of them. I think that the way the Fit's stereo is reading the directory, is that it sees the original file, plays it, then sees the resource fork file, shows "Unplayable File" and skips it, and moves to the next file.

I'm going to manually remove those resource fork files and test it out.

EDIT: Those files were indeed the unplayable ones. Removing them got rid of the message.

Here are a few solutions to the problem:

1. Just deal with it, you're not actually missing hearing any music files.
2. Manually remove the resource fork files (either using the Terminal application, or by tossing the drive onto a Windows or Linux machine and deleting them).
3. Format the drive as a Mac-formatted drive (HFS+) BUT: I don't know if the Fit stereo will read this format, and you wouldn't be able to use the drive on a Windows machine. I wouldn't recommend this solution unless you know what you are doing, and have a way to re-format the drive back to a FAT filesystem if it doesn't work.
+1

I deleted the "crap" files using my PC and the messages went away. Also you were right that all the songs were playing anyway. The Mac doubled the number of files I put on the drive which caused me to think only half was playing. Darn Mac.

Old 02-08-2011, 05:31 PM
Darn FAT32 file system.
I am going to find a way to get rid of these files in GUI mode rather than the terminal. There must be a way. Has anyone tried formatting in HFS+ format?

Old 02-09-2011, 12:43 AM
I have the same problem...tried formatting to Mac Journaled, but FIT stereo didn't like that. Need to find those extra files and delete.

BTW...my flash drive sound quality is like 2x's better than going through the Ipod connection!