2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Fit owners: what caused you to choose the Fit over the Civic?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 10:10 AM
I had 2 car accident and they lended me a honda fit and a civic 06. I had a civic 2002 coupe lx.

I disliked the civic 2006 because of the numerical dash. I didnt like the feel not enough trunk space and weird to drive.

The fit is a small versatile car. You have alot of trunk space and i mean ALOT for a small car. Its really easy to park anywhere in town. It consume as much gas as the civic. There plenty of windows . fun to drive felt like a small go kart(lol).

Old 10-08-2008, 10:28 AM
What started it all was my old Civic Hatch frame broke at the strut tower that caused the break like to bend at the master cylinder. Needless to say I was without brakes and I pulled in my driveway. I went to Honda and Toyota dealers. I thought about the Corolla but it was about 1k more for the base model than the Fit Sport. For what I do such as bike riding, haul kids to doctor's appt including car seats, wheel chair without taking apart (sweet!) to hauling junk such a 55 Gal fish tank, a 24" mountain bike (it fit ok in my hatch why not in the Fit). I considered the Fit due to the lower cost of ownership from day one and for many days to come. Lacks power but it's a trade off for fuel economy which is what is meant to be used for. At the end of the day I still get 40 mpg and that is what matters. Maybe I'll get me a Toy car for the weekends at the track.

Last edited by rreyes99; 10-08-2008 at 10:30 AM.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:06 PM
I'm a hatchback girl! After trying to fit a built Ikea dresser in both my boyfriend's WRX and his Dad's huge sedan (before I received my car) I realized how much I love having a hatchback. My previous car was a VW Golf. I love having functionality, and felt like the Civic was too big for me.

Old 10-08-2008, 01:05 PM
h2o
Originally Posted by FiveFreshFish
I thought Civics were made in Alliston, Ontario.
Some were also made in Ohio IIRC.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:33 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
My salesman would not rest until I test drove a Civic SI and I did but it just did not do it for me. I did not feel that the car handled as nice as the Fit, I did not like the blind spots in the car and I just did not have fun driving the Civic as I did driving the Fit. My salesman said he could tell that it did not wow me like the Fit had and he was right!

Cat :x

Old 10-08-2008, 10:51 PM
5 Year Member
I went with the Fit because we currently have an 04 Civic sedan as the family car and I'm sick of driving Civics. Told my parents they can keep their sedan but I'm getting a Fit because I'd rather pay for a hatch. I've always loved hatches so it made the decision even easier.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:56 PM
I actually had the same choices you did. The Corolla did not impress me at all. The Civic wasn't that bad, but the angle the windshield was, actually made me nauseous to drive. So, Fit it was! And I love it.

Old 10-09-2008, 03:34 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Fit's rule! Regardless of your generation.

Old 10-09-2008, 07:59 PM
Trastan: if you want a fair comparison of Fit and Civic, check both a Fit and Civic forum, and also make sure you test drive both. Remember this is not only a Fit forum, but most of us here are Fit FREAKS! Most of us here already owns or prefers a Fit, because the Fit fits our needs or preferences the most. If you want to hear more pro-Civic opinions, go to a Civic forum. Once you get the buzz from both camps, and test drove both cars, you can reach your own conclusion. There's no one car that makes everyone happy. Some people hates Fit's look and some people go gaga over it. Individual opinions can vary a lot. There are people who like "go-cart" like performances, and there are also someone like me who prefer "creamy smooth" and "float on air" kind of rides. It's really up to you. So do your research and list your priorities.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:06 PM
5 Year Member
FYI, I traded in my '06 Civic after a year and a half for an '07 Fit. Mind you, I was also going from AT to MT, so that made a big difference for me.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:20 PM
I seriously hate bsg (battlestar galatica) gauges in the new Civics...it drove ok... but just wasn't as fun to drive...what can I say... & def. not as fuctional as the fit!

Old 10-09-2008, 09:24 PM
I've owned a Corolla in the past, but have not looked at the new ones.

I liked the Civic of old, but dislike the new Civics. When sitting in them the quarters feel cramped. The car feels big and lumbersome. the seating position feels sunken and like I can't see over the hood of the car. Driving it, the car feels cumbersome to me for some reason.

the Fit feels open inside with room to move. The drive feels spry and quick, like it's a small car.

Some of it is specific features, but mostly the Fit just gives me a more satisfactory feel of what I like in a small car.

Old 10-10-2008, 12:50 PM
5 Year Member
Wow I am slacking. I never saw this thread to reply until now. I chose the Fit over a Civic because of the room and magic seat functionality.

Old 10-11-2008, 08:49 AM
5 Year Member
After seeing the '09 Fit and ordering one, the Civic now looks plain boring... its your basic run of the mill car. Plus the magic seats and extra space in the Fit is the perfect utility/versatility. And a manumatic mode for the automatic is a nice plus too.

Old 11-16-2008, 11:48 PM
CBX
Reviving this 'resting' thread. "He's not dead! He's just resting" (+rep for identifying the reference!)

I have never been a sedan person.

The only sedans I drove for any length of time were company cars, where I wasn't offered a choice.

Give me a pickup & camper, a 4X4, a street bike, a dirt bike, an 80/20 dualsport, a 20/80 dualsport... anything but a sedan!

If it's even close to a sedan, I had better be able to make the top retract!

My convertible needed to find a new home. I had long ago decided my next vehicle purchase had to be a Honda, whether two wheels, or four. I contemplated the Civic, or the Element, before I read about the Fit.

With only 103,000 miles on my ST1100 street bike, there was no need to replace it.

I do enjoy camping, but my F-250 with pop-up camper gets about 11mpg. I thought the Fit might permit me to load an amply stocked cooler, plus other camping bits. It has worked out 'most excellently' in that regard.

Plus, "You meet the nicest people on (or in) a Honda".

Old 11-17-2008, 12:02 AM
one thing - cargo space, including the ability to have 30/60 splits (civic LX doesn't) and magic seats configurations. if i don't care about the utility aspect I think the Civic is a more comfortable car.

Old 11-17-2008, 12:13 AM
CBX
30/60 splits!

Where did that other 10% go? LDS?

Jk!

Old 11-17-2008, 01:11 AM
hehe... my cat ate the other 10%! ;-)

Old 11-17-2008, 06:59 AM
2 reasons

1. The civic si sedan is overpriced in puerto rico the cost is 29k i don't pay 29k dollars for a car this ain't a sports car or a SUV

2. The fit have a great MPG and look very good compare to the civic

Old 11-17-2008, 09:47 AM
Originally Posted by CBX
Reviving this 'resting' thread. "He's not dead! He's just resting" (+rep for identifying the reference!)...
The Monty Python "Dead Parrot" sketch.

lmao remembering...

Quick Reply: Fit owners: what caused you to choose the Fit over the Civic?