2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Fit owners: what caused you to choose the Fit over the Civic?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 04:44 PM
You can haul a pinball machine in the back of a fit. You can not do that in a Civic.

Old 10-07-2008, 04:49 PM
5 Year Member
I debated between the Civic SI Sedan and the Fit Sport for a while. I decided to go with the Fit cause my fiancee has a Civic already so I didn't want to have 2 Civics.

Old 10-07-2008, 05:11 PM
5 Year Member
I was in the same boat between a non si civic or the fit and on of the main reasons I choose the fit was for the hatch. I plan on going on a few road trips and the fit can fit 4 comfortably plus luggage. The fit is also only 2600 lbs so it makes it more nible and fun to drive compared to the heavy civic. I also took a look at the corolla and that car was just way to plain and boring. Also I love the fit sport at with the paddles On a side note though I'm pretty sure that the civic has a better mpg rating then the fit 36 vs 33/35 hwy.

Old 10-07-2008, 05:25 PM
I had a Jeep Wrangler '98 before my Fit ..and ended up trading it in at Honda ..wanted the '07 Element ..but the boyfriend convinced me to get the Fit instead ....like really really bad! For weeks thats all he talked about ..so I got it even though I really didn't like it! I was suppose to get it in white but they didn't have any and there was a wait so I was semi-forced into picking red + black + silver! Got the night hawk and I'm glad I did ..I love my Fit! <33

Old 10-07-2008, 05:53 PM
Civic is too heavy, not a H/B, and I know its dumb, but I don't like the steering wheel. At all. Actually the interior overall is kind of fugly imo.

Old 10-07-2008, 06:07 PM
More bang for the buck. More room, better (for me, at least) driving position, better handling, and I just like it better. The Fit actually reminds me of my first Civic, a '95 DX hatchback, in terms of overall useability, but it's even better with 5 doors rather than 3 and "tall" mode. Besides, it's a lot more refined and the construction quality is much higher. The Civics these days are a bit too smooth for my taste; they've lost some of the fun factor.

Old 10-07-2008, 06:28 PM
First Honda - I'm a changed man!

Originally Posted by Trastan
My question to you all, therefore, is: What made you choose the Fit for your new car over similarly priced and equipped competition?
I chose the FIT for price, Honda reliability, gas mileage, interior room, and it was really fun to drive.

I also thought it was cute as hell!

Old 10-07-2008, 06:40 PM
Highway Happiness!

Originally Posted by Trastan
I have, however, taken a very short ride in a manual '09 Fit a few days ago, and I was surprised at how stiff it was; the Fit doesn't seem to be a very smooth ride, and that concerns me a bit for long highway commutes. Do any of you regularly do highway driving with your Fit?
My '08 Fit handles highway driving perfectly. Even at 70-75mph it feels steady and stable with excellant road feel. I have a MT so there isn't any searching for gears on inclines happening while using the cruise control. It seems to maintain speed effortlessly (once it gets there) and the ride is smooth. I will be taking a 10 hour road trip to Virginia in December and I don't anticipate any comfort problems.

Old 10-07-2008, 06:44 PM
5 Year Member
I choose the fit at the time when i lived in San Diego. It had more cargo room in it for its price range. It got better gas millage. And it was smaller which was great in the city there for finding parking. But now that i am in pensacola FL i whish i had a different car here. The fit was great in the city for me but here i whish i got something a little bit more comfy on road trips and a bit more sporty. But i will get something better next time all in all the fit is fun car to drive good on gas and its quaility is great

Old 10-07-2008, 06:48 PM
5 Year Member
yes there is i have done a lot of road trips in my Fit. From San Diego,CA to Pensacola,FL. Than to Oklahoma back to Tampa,Fl. I love the fit but its not at all a good car for road trips. Its really hard to drive the car any longer than about 4-5 hours for me. That is my only problem with it i do a lot of road trips now and it sucks on them.

Old 10-07-2008, 07:03 PM
Resale value. Looks. Civic strikes me as a womans car. Also I test drove the civic and the emergency handle rubbed on my knee when I drove it. It drove me crazy!! I drive with my legs spread and could not handle it. I also dont like the split dash display on the civic.

The fit does have a few things I dont like though: no tagging of songs. NAVI unit IS NOT worth it. The only reason i got it was for the VSA. Paint is cheap. Scratches way too easy. Perhaps I will have more things I dont like in the future but over all it is a great car

Old 10-07-2008, 07:14 PM
5 Year Member
I'm choosing the fit because of the versatility. There is just more cargo space. We can put the dog in the back while we still have 4 passengers.

I love the Civics though, but the higher cost and insurance cost are also factors.

Old 10-07-2008, 07:18 PM
Not the reason it was purchased but it fits my mountain bike in Tall Mode. Mostly for low purchase price, fuel economy and practicality.

Originally Posted by h2o
Fit and finish.
Fit 100% Made in Japan.
Civic 70-80% Made in US.
Not the main reason, but one of them.
I thought Civics were made in Alliston, Ontario.

Old 10-07-2008, 07:56 PM
5 Year Member
Like the interior of the Fit better. The 2 tear layout and the fabric of the Civic is not to my liking, especially the SI model. If the interior was better I might have look into it.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:19 PM
5 Year Member
When the odometer on my '99 Civic EX turned 169,000, I thought it was time for another late model Civic, but I couldn't find one without a zillion miles on it at a reasonable price. I briefly considered buying new, but couldn't justify the price vs the Fit. The Fit has worked out very well. Love the extra space and the way it handles. Until recently, most of my driving has been highway and I've been averaging 40-43 MPG utilizing no special techniques other than keeping my speed below 60 and using a light foot during acceleration in town. Love my Fit!

Old 10-07-2008, 10:10 PM
5 Year Member
I'm new to the site, and I think I qualify as a Fit Freak given that 6 days ago I walked in to a dealership and bought a pair of Fits. But first I drove a 2009 Civic LX 4 door. It was nice, rode about the same as my wife's '99 EX sedan. It felt like a Civic should, I guess. Did nothing wrong, really. Then I drove the 2009 Revo Orange Fit sport. It made me smile. I was concerned about the taut ride, but liked the handling. I was concerned about the lack of oomph, but figured I wanted the mileage, and after break-in it'd be a little more willing to zing up to redline (430 miles on the clock and today she was more alive). I liked the layout, the room, and the how it reminded me of the '86 Civic Si hatch we used to have. So, when I got back to the dealer I bought the Revo Orange sport and a tidewater blue base model. The only two they had. Both automatics. I probably could have gotten a pair of Civics for about the same money, but I felt they'd be less useful for us. I paid MSRP plus destination, tax, and tags. Got the dealer to toss in keyless entry and security system for the base model, and given that they told me mats were included and the cars were delivered without any (cuz they're not actually included) I'm going to get them to toss in the mats when I go back to get the keyless stuff that was not in stock.

I'm enjoying my Fit, my wife is enjoying hers. We took mine for a 200 mile ride (round trip) and it was a good trip with some great backroad twisties included. My commute is more enjoyable and economical than it was with my Odyssey (now parked). Given all the stuff two Fits can haul, we might be able to sell off the Ody too.

So there ya go.

Last edited by TKZ12NO1; 10-07-2008 at 10:15 PM.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:22 AM
June 2007 3rd Place Fit of the Month Winner
5 Year Member
Fit>Civic

I had a 1999 EX Civic. I was about to get a Civic hatch, but didn't like how so many were getting broken into or stolen. That's when the Fit came out and I immediately new that it was the car for me. I wanted to fuel economy of the Civics, the compact size of a hatch, and the room of an Odyssey. I can step on the gas and take tight corners, get great fuel mileage, and have room to place furniture in it. The usually quote I get from passengers is, "Wow, your seat is all the way back? I still have a lot of room back here."

Old 10-08-2008, 12:31 AM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member
Well, as others have said, the hatchback and super flexibility of the cargo area make the Fit far more useful to me. Form always follows function in my book.

Now for a bit of a different perspective. I have an 05 Element EX 4WD, an 07 Fit Sport and an 07 Civic EX Navi. The primary reason I traded the Civic for an 09 Fit Sport Navi was because the seat in the Civic had finally worn out my back. I live in San Antonio and work in Houston, so I drive 500 or more miles a week. The seats never were comfortable in the Civic, but the Element and the Fit are just fine. We've had the 09 Fit for a month now and my back is much better.

For the record, I drive the 09 Fit, my wife drives the 07 Fit and we're lending the Element to my in-laws, since they just need something to run around in and only drive 2000 miles a year. I am completely happy with these 3 cars. It doesn't matter which one we're in - if something needs to be hauled we can handle it.

PS - Although not as good as the Element, the Fit makes a very nice camping vehicle.

Old 10-08-2008, 12:41 AM
5 Year Member
Fits are better hands down =P

-Dennis Kong

Old 10-08-2008, 09:15 AM
Why we choose the fit over the civic and others cars

I had a BMW 330ci 2 door coupe premium M-sport for 5 years great car if you drive one up a lot of the time, not great for passengers. My wife had a 1999 civic most of that that same time and we would end up driving the 4 door civic any time there was extra people or cargo.

1) Had a kid so 4 doors is a must now, hatchback is better than a trunk.

2) Our MT/Sport Fit can be driven like a BMW.

3) The price point is better than a civic.

4) Civics feel old (granny would buy a civic not a fit).

5) Love the what kind of car is that factor when people see the Fit.

6) My wife had enough of civics (boring old things).

Quick Reply: Fit owners: what caused you to choose the Fit over the Civic?