2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2009 Sport--Rear View Mirror Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 01:32 AM
2009 Sport--Rear View Mirror Replacement

Future FitFreak here . . . I'm expecting my 09 SSM NAV Fit at the end of the month.

In the meantime, I'm ordering a few items that I KNOW I'm going to mod. I'm looking at one of the Gentex Auto-Dimming mirror (with HomeLink) (GENK40A).

Has anybody bought this/similar? How do you like it? Did you purchase a "Cam Lock Adapter" (which is what I'm being told I need for the Fit)? Does it attach to the SAME location as the OEM mirror--or does it go on the window and leave a space where the original one was removed from?

What about the size? Is this mirror noticably larger (or smaller) than the original mirror? Anybody willing to measure the stock mirror so I can compare?

Thanks in advance for any info!

Old 10-07-2008, 05:57 AM
5 Year Member

looks nice. i'd like to see one installed.

Old 10-07-2008, 12:00 PM
5 Year Member
might as well buy the one with compass as well.

Old 10-07-2008, 12:47 PM
I've found that the Gentex mirrors are 10.5" W x 3.25" H.

Would anybody be willing to measure the 2009 Fit Sport mirror so I can see if it will look wierd OR if the visors would hit it? If it will fit, I'll buy it and post some photos.

Old 10-07-2008, 01:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitscott
I've found that the Gentex mirrors are 10.5" W x 3.25" H.

Would anybody be willing to measure the 2009 Fit Sport mirror so I can see if it will look wierd OR if the visors would hit it? If it will fit, I'll buy it and post some photos.

The Sport mirror is 9.5" W x 2.75" H.

Old 10-07-2008, 02:16 PM
How Interesting

I just decided against getting a Gentex mirror (I was looking at the 50, with Homelink, temp, compass, etc). The main thing I cared about was the outside temp, but I fixed that with $10 and a little ingenuity.

See my post elsewhere on this form at:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/32308-interior-exterior-temp-gauge.html

Old 11-24-2008, 04:38 PM
So, I got the mirror, and it appears that the Fit does NOT use a CAMLOCK mount (like several other Hondas). Has anybody removed their mirror on the 09? Or, does anybody have access to a service manual that shows how to remove it? The LAST thing I want to do is break off the rear view mirror . . .

Old 12-03-2008, 12:37 PM
fitscott

Did you install the mirror yet?

Old 12-03-2008, 03:10 PM
UPDATE: I have installed the mirror, however I've not had the time to run the wires.

The stock mirror came off very easily. Just pry the plastic cover off (very little effort) and push on the bottom of the mirror and it slides off.

It is DEFINATELY not a CAMLock connector. It is a standard wedge mount, and the Gentex mounted to it perfectly right out of the box.

I'm planning on trying to get ground and constant power from the map lights, but I'll probably have to get down to the fuse panel to get ignition-switched power. I've got to get down the A-Pillars, which means disconnecting the battery because of the side air-bags. I'll want to take my time because there is STILL no service manual available for the '09.

If anybody has a recommendation on which wire/fuse to tap into (ignition-switched), it would be appreciated!!

Old 12-03-2008, 03:52 PM
Bump for more information. Very interested in this mod.

Old 12-03-2008, 04:50 PM
I just purchased a Gentex mirror on ebay, and I'll be installing it in the next couple of weeks. I may try to get a Honda Service Center/Dealer to have them do it.

Old 12-03-2008, 05:03 PM
I also purchased mine on EBAY. I wasn't interested in a bluetooth, compass or map light. But I really missed the auto dimming of my previous cars, and I REALLY wanted to get rid of multiple garage door openers. So I bought the cheapest one I could. I got an "OEM" version (for some other Auto mfgr) for $129, which is WAY better than $300+ that I've seen elsewhere!

I purchased them from a guy with an eBay store. He has all different types for sale--at great prices!
eBay Store - WembleySells: Brand New Mirrors, HomeLink Compass Mirror Kit, HomeLink Mirror Kit IO

He also has a web site (under development) with lots of info about Gentex mirrors, the adapters, etc.
Gentex HomeLink Autodimming Mirrors GNTX-313 and GNTX-453 Series comparison

I had a good experience and would recommend others buy from him!

Old 12-03-2008, 07:40 PM
5 Year Member
Where did you see one with bluetooth? That would be tits.

Old 12-03-2008, 11:45 PM
5 Year Member
Good call on the OEM versions! Those are significantly cheaper; assuming the pigtails are the same, wiring should still be quite easy!

Old 12-04-2008, 12:34 AM
Originally Posted by S0L_GT
Good call on the OEM versions! Those are significantly cheaper; assuming the pigtails are the same, wiring should still be quite easy!
Yeah, wasn't that interested at $300+. Mine has a connector at one end that plugs into the back of the mirror. The other end is just wires.

Originally Posted by SheepNutz
Where did you see one with bluetooth? That would be tits.
Somebody asked about it in another thread. I saw one at WalMart. I also Googled "Rear View Mirror" +bluetooth and found a bunch, but that's not why I wanted it . . .

Old 01-04-2009, 01:23 PM
Question Did anyone get this mirror fully installed ?

I would like to have one , but need details on who could install it and whether any major mods had to be done to run all the power and ignition wires . Thanks in advance
Tigerman

Old 01-20-2009, 02:38 PM
My auto-dimming mirror was installed this morning. I was going to do it myself, but when I went to buy the replacement clip for the A-pillar trim, I asked the service department if they would do it, and surprisingly they said yes. I ended up having the dealership do it because I was nervous working around the airbag.

A generous member of fitfreak typed up the service manual instructions for me on how to remove the A-pillar trim, and it wouldn't be tough to do it yourself. There is one clip that needs to be replaced and the part is about $3 from the dealer.

Old 01-20-2009, 02:45 PM
I had auto dimming in my CL-S so when I got the Fit I was in shock the first time I drove it at night. I too looked at aftermarket auto dimming mirrors but then decided to just tint my windows...problem solved.

Old 01-20-2009, 05:26 PM
I have auto dim in the VW and the Jeep; the VW doesn't dim nearly enough, while the Jeep, being taller and heavily tinted, works much better.
Soooo, I'm sticking with manual dimming; it's much darker.
Moon

Old 01-20-2009, 05:27 PM
u guys got any pics?

Quick Reply: 2009 Sport--Rear View Mirror Replacement