2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2009 Sport--Rear View Mirror Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 10:51 PM
5 Year Member
I ordered the CIPA 36500. It's an auto-dimming mirror with compass, temp, and LED map lights. The 36500 has a wegde type mount, the one used in my 09 FIT. Ordered from amazon for about $150. Here's the link. Amazon.com: CIPA 36500 Auto Dimming Mirror w/Compass, Temp & Light: Automotive

EDD is 27FEB. I'll be out of town when it arrives, but I'll be sure to update this thread with pics when i get it installed.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:00 AM
Antone have a lead on a version that runs on battery power? I've heard they exist anyhow.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:54 AM
Originally Posted by minnemike
Antone have a lead on a version that runs on battery power? I've heard they exist anyhow.
Bell markets a compass that mounts on your existing mirror, with a sensor that mounts on the windshield behind the mirror. The compass is self adjusting, but with no provision for declination. They run on a watch battery (which doesn't last too long), and the installation is simplicity itself. It is also very tidy; the readout is on the mirror face, and the wires that supply it wrap up over the top of the mirror. You only turn it on when you need it, and it continues to run until it detects no motion for 10 minutes. Cost is about $35; I got one at Wally World, and have seen them in autoparts stores (been meaing to get one for the Fit).
It's a simple and inexpensive mod.
Moon

Old 02-20-2009, 05:15 PM
I have the navi, so no need for the compass feature. I'm mostly talking about the auto dimming rear view mirror... but thanx for that tip.

I did google up this interesting item: Battery-Powered Cordless Clip-On Auto-Dimming Mirror :: Sigma Automotive

I wonder if it is any good though.

Old 02-25-2009, 01:57 AM
5 Year Member
Auto Dimming Mirror

Got my mirror in this evening. Install took about three hours, most of it was trying to find an ignition wire to tap. I live in a condo/apt community, so no garage with adequate lighting, just a parking lot with crappy light posts. I just couldn't wait to install it. My back hurts from spending the evening under the steering wheel probing wires with a multimeter. I eventually found a good wire, not sure what it belongs to, but it gets 11.75 VDC when the key is in position II. Voltage is removed when the key is in off and the door is opened.

I installed the temperature sensor in front of the radiator, right on the bumper grill. It's away from anything producing heat and is in a path where fresh air passes over. I routed the temperature cable along the driver side, through the driver door wire bundle, and into the fuse panel area. Instead of cutting a hole in the grommet, i made a small slice on the bottom of the grommet, put the wire in, and installed the grommet, making sure it sealed up against the cabin.

The wiring from the mirror was routed along the same path as my radar detector install. https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...-detector.html

After finishing the install, i took my car out for a drive. The auto dimming feature is responsive and quick to react to changes in light. The compass was easy to calibrate.

Things that would make it better: LED bulbs and a larger mirror, it's roughly the same size as the stock mirror. The map lights are regular bulbs, someone said they were LED on amazon.com.

Overall, i'm happy with the mirror. I'll upload pics tomorrow afternoon.

Old 02-25-2009, 02:14 PM
Originally Posted by caliban10010

Things that would make it better: LED bulbs and a larger mirror, it's roughly the same size as the stock mirror. The map lights are regular bulbs, someone said they were LED on amazon.com.

Overall, i'm happy with the mirror. I'll upload pics tomorrow afternoon.
The OEM compass/temp mirror in my TJ Jeep has the LED bulbs; three colors to end up with white light, so some versions certainly have it.

How DARK does the mirror get?
Thnx,
Moon

Old 02-25-2009, 07:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by halfmoonclip
The OEM compass/temp mirror in my TJ Jeep has the LED bulbs; three colors to end up with white light, so some versions certainly have it.

How DARK does the mirror get?
Thnx,
Moon
I'm going to upgrade as many of the interior bulbs to LED anyway, so no big deal.

Here are some pics comparing the shades of the mirror going from light to dark.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:16 PM
5 Year Member
Here are pics of the install.

Temperature sensor is in the center of the pic.

Close-up on the temperature sensor.

Routing the sensor wires along the driver side.

Into the cabin with the door wire bundle.

Here's where i tapped the ignition wire. This is on a 2009 Sport Auto w/o NAVI. I'm not sure if the other configurations look different. Looking directly at the fuse section below the steering wheel, the bottom row has three connectors: white, blue, and yellow. The next row up will have three green connectors of different sizes. I tapped the purple wire on the middle connector.

Hope this helps someone in the future.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:50 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the pix. Great project. Looks like a great project for a nice day.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:54 PM
Great pix, and thanks.
I may have to try again on a hardwire thermometer; I'm currently wireless to avoid the firewall issue. Like how you got around that.
Moon

Old 03-26-2009, 08:39 AM
Hurry up, guys:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190288765101&sspagenam e=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&viewitem=

WEDGE mount. Give him $60 (or try less, not sure) best offer. He'll accept. Enjoy!

Last edited by euge65; 03-26-2009 at 08:43 AM.