2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Interior / Exterior Temp Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 02:50 PM
Originally Posted by AWDturbo
So far, so good. For $10, you can't go wrong.

Here's a link to some info & pic of the product:
Bell Automotive: Product Details
I bought the same one at Walmart. Here are a couple of picture of the sensor, on the left hatch jamb (avoiding the exhaust but maybe subject to water damage). The display seemed to fit nicely in front of the shift lever.

Also 'installed' the floor mats, driver's shown here.

cargo cover and tray ;-)

Old 07-16-2009, 08:06 PM
5 Year Member
hmm, I was just thinking about buying something like this for my 07 lol... damn, at least I know i'm not the only one that misses an outside temp gauge lol...

Old 07-17-2009, 04:07 AM
5 Year Member
My Jazz has the outside temp shown in the multifunction display - thought that was standard

Old 07-17-2009, 12:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ThomP
My Jazz has the outside temp shown in the multifunction display - thought that was standard
I'm just going to assume that USDM models don't compare to the UK/Canada/JDM models.
USA FTL haha.

Always thought this was kinda dumb to fret at... but seeing pictures, this is a really neat addition to the fit.

Old 07-20-2009, 02:16 PM
Very cool mod! I was just thinking about doing something like that... on that note, has anyone used the digital thermometer found here:

Automotive items at Sears.com

It looks like it will blend with the interior of the car too, I hope it won't be hard to install..

Old 07-20-2009, 02:25 PM
Originally Posted by Firephoenix1980
Very cool mod! I was just thinking about doing something like that... on that note, has anyone used the digital thermometer found here:

Automotive items at Sears.com

It looks like it will blend with the interior of the car too, I hope it won't be hard to install..
Interesting find. The other one that I installed isn't very accurate and I was thinking of replacing it with another of the same type. Maybe a different unit of the same type might help. I may have damaged the first when I moved it from one side to the other... a different model might be worth considering.

Old 07-20-2009, 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by pharmpk
Interesting find. The other one that I installed isn't very accurate and I was thinking of replacing it with another of the same type. Maybe a different unit of the same type might help. I may have damaged the first when I moved it from one side to the other... a different model might be worth considering.
Hi Pharmpk, are you saying the one you installed was the same manufacturer?

Old 07-20-2009, 02:40 PM
Originally Posted by Firephoenix1980
Hi Pharmpk, are you saying the one you installed was the same manufacturer?
No, the one I bought was by Bell (from Walmart). Bell Automotive: Product Details see my earlier post in this thread.

I was going to buy another Bell (since I suspect I damaged the one I installed) but the Sears one may be another choice. I first installed it over the exhaust :-( and then thought better of it. The double-sided foam didn't like the move all the much.

Old 07-20-2009, 04:03 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
lol i have that same thermometer. works great until sun hit it on the panel where the sensor is at. best is to place it near the intake area. i took mine off.

might do a scan gauge later on...

Old 07-20-2009, 04:14 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
lol i have that same thermometer. works great until sun hit it on the panel where the sensor is at. best is to place it near the intake area. i took mine off.
How do you get to the intake area?

Old 07-20-2009, 04:24 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
you will need to go through the front fender (above the liner ofcourse) and out near the stock intake opening. if you run
the wire through the engine room it wont work.

Old 07-20-2009, 06:10 PM
Originally Posted by pharmpk
I bought the same one at Walmart. Here are a couple of picture of the sensor, on the left hatch jamb (avoiding the exhaust but maybe subject to water damage). The display seemed to fit nicely in front of the shift lever.

Also 'installed' the floor mats, driver's shown here.

cargo cover and tray ;-)
Pharmpk, I used some of your ideas and some of the ones listed above. First, the thermometer model you used is identical to mine, and matches the interior pretty well. I mounted it where yours is, but pried out the cup holders, made a small notch for the wire, and routed it forward thru' the console and up across the removable panel under the dash. (only about a half inch of wire is visible at the console) Then I went out past the accordion pleat boot that takes wires to the door (pop it loose to pass the wire, then pop it back), out across the inner fender, around the battery and over the radiator to the grille. I attached the sensor to one of the grille slats and tied it all off with wire ties. Works great, and very sanitary; sitting still in traffic makes it climb a little, but it isn't a problem. Sun angle doesn't bother it at all. Out in front of the radiator is where many OEM sensors are mounted.
Thanks for all the great ideas here.
Moon

Old 07-20-2009, 06:38 PM
Originally Posted by halfmoonclip
Pharmpk, I used some of your ideas and some of the ones listed above. First, the thermometer model you used is identical to mine, and matches the interior pretty well. I mounted it where yours is, but pried out the cup holders, made a small notch for the wire, and routed it forward thru' the console and up across the removable panel under the dash. (only about a half inch of wire is visible at the console) Then I went out past the accordion pleat boot that takes wires to the door (pop it loose to pass the wire, then pop it back), out across the inner fender, around the battery and over the radiator to the grille. I attached the sensor to one of the grille slats and tied it all off with wire ties. Works great, and very sanitary; sitting still in traffic makes it climb a little, but it isn't a problem. Sun angle doesn't bother it at all. Out in front of the radiator is where many OEM sensors are mounted.
Thanks for all the great ideas here.
Moon
Thanks for the directions I'll have another look around the forward route.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:29 PM
JGW
I miss having a temp gauge as well. I like what you guys have done.

I've seen this one, and for $55, doesn't seem a bad deal since it includes a compass, but not sure how it would look. Function is important, but so are looks. I'd rather have a wireless one, preferably something that can be mounted above the mirror.

Automobile Digital Compass With Dual Zone Car Thermometer/Ice Alert

Old 07-20-2009, 09:14 PM
Originally Posted by JGW
I miss having a temp gauge as well. I like what you guys have done.

I've seen this one, and for $55, doesn't seem a bad deal since it includes a compass, but not sure how it would look. Function is important, but so are looks. I'd rather have a wireless one, preferably something that can be mounted above the mirror.

Automobile Digital Compass With Dual Zone Car Thermometer/Ice Alert
Had a wireless thermometer and I have now shifted to one like pharmpk's.
Two problems; one was appearance, as the one I had was bulky. The other was reliability. About once a month, the interior readout would lose the exterior connection, even tho' they were mounted about a foot apart on opposite sides of the firewall. (The actual sensor was in the grille as a hardwired probe). When I mounted the interior readout in another spot where its bulk was less of an issue, I lost the signal all the time, or picked up one from another thermometer in my house. While the compass combo you showed is designed for auto use, you still might lose connection in a setting that is full of metal and stray electircal impulses.
Not meaning to whizz on your cornflakes; just MHO.
Moon

Old 07-20-2009, 09:21 PM
5 Year Member
Pharmpk, I have the same thermometer. I tried the sensor in several different places before I found one that works pretty well. (For the record, the double-sided foam tape originally on the sensor lasted only through the first 2 moves. After that, I had to use new foam tape.)

I finally mounted the thermometer to the blanks on the left side of the dash (where the VSA off switch is). I ran the cable under the dash, out the driver door, and to the middle bottom of the driver-side mirror (where I put the sensor). There's about 2 inches of cable hanging free in the door hinge area (I used electrical tape to secure it on both sides, and also on the black part of the mirror housing and the mirror bottom). Just make sure to leave enough slack so you can fold in the mirrors (in either direction) before you begin taping the cable down. I'll try to get some pics and post them this weekend.

This location for the sensor seems to make the thermometer pretty accurate. If the car has been sitting in the sun (or on hot asphalt) for awhile, it will measure fairly high. Once you begin driving, though, it cools down to the real temperature within a couple of miles. It does heat up some in stop-and-go traffic, but it seems pretty accurate once you get moving.

Old 07-21-2009, 03:44 AM
It is in Europe.

In Australia we get the same multi function display as you without the temp gauge.

But then, we don't get icy roads either.

Old 07-21-2009, 04:52 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by rosswond
It is in Europe.

In Australia we get the same multi function display as you without the temp gauge.

But then, we don't get icy roads either.
That sucks! Seems like at stupid place to save money - It must be cheap to install, and only having it in some models must make logistics more complex.

BTW: According to the manual the sensor is placed under/behind the front bumper

Old 07-21-2009, 05:26 AM
That sucks! Seems like at stupid place to save money - It must be cheap to install, and only having it in some models must make logistics more complex.

BTW: According to the manual the sensor is placed under/behind the front bumper
Yeah, they save the sensor and a page in the software.

I guess people don't expect to see it in an economy car here. What they do demand is a sub A$20,000 drive away price for a small car. Stuff gets left out.

Old 08-19-2009, 02:20 PM
Any updates on this ?

I'd love to have a working exterior temp gauge.

Quick Reply: Interior / Exterior Temp Gauge