2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Is the oil drain plug recessed?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 07:38 PM
5 Year Member
Is the oil drain plug recessed?

I plan on buying the Fumoto valve with the nipple (106N) for the '09 Fit.

If the threads to the plug are not recessed into the pan, there is no need for the adapter. I believe Fumoto lists our cars as having a recessed drain plug, but it doesn't look recessed to me.

Can somebody please confirm either way? Thanks!

Old 11-01-2008, 02:10 PM
I would say not recessed on my '09 Fit...

Old 11-01-2008, 02:22 PM
5 Year Member
I've looked at that valve and have concerns about it. Isn't there risks that the valve could be hit by debris while driving? Could it open the valve lever or even break it and cause an oil leak?

I guess I'm just conservative and think that removing the drain plug for oil changes is no big deal.

Old 11-01-2008, 02:50 PM
Originally Posted by Virtual
I've looked at that valve and have concerns about it. Isn't there risks that the valve could be hit by debris while driving? Could it open the valve lever or even break it and cause an oil leak?...
Not really, I've never heard of that happening. The valve lever must be pushed up and over a stop before it can be pushed open, so a simple impact will not move it. The impact would have to move it up AND over to the side in the same motion. Almost impossible to do. Probably much more likely to come unscrewed (like a conventional plug) than to be opened by impact. In the picture below, you can see it in the fully open position and clearly see the indent that the lever sits in when closed.

I've used a Fumoto Valve for my last several cars and plan to use it on my Fit also. I like to use the one with the nipple attached. I can then connect a piece of tubing to the nipple and drain off to the side into a small mouthed container. More convenient.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by TheSaint; 11-01-2008 at 02:57 PM.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:25 PM
5 Year Member
The stock drain plug on the '09 is an "outie" as opposed to an "inie".

Old 11-01-2008, 09:46 PM
I've installed the Fumoto N-vavle on my Fit, and it fits/works fine - go for it.

Old 11-01-2008, 11:27 PM
5 Year Member
For anyone interested, coupon code YM4 gets you 10% off the Fumoto valve:

www.QuickOilDrainValve.com

Old 11-02-2008, 10:32 AM
Originally Posted by badself
For anyone interested, coupon code YM4 gets you 10% off the Fumoto valve:

www.QuickOilDrainValve.com
Doh! About 8 hours too late.

Old 11-02-2008, 10:44 AM
Sorry for asking stupid question, but after my first oil change, I am planning to do my own. What valve are you referring to? I thought it's just a matter of unscrewing that plug and let the oil out? And what special equipment do you need tighten that thing? the user manual said it has to be tightened at a certain torque or something......

Old 11-02-2008, 11:06 AM
Originally Posted by wskwong
Sorry for asking stupid question, but after my first oil change, I am planning to do my own. What valve are you referring to? I thought it's just a matter of unscrewing that plug and let the oil out? And what special equipment do you need tighten that thing? the user manual said it has to be tightened at a certain torque or something......
There is a picture of the fumoto valve that we're discussing just a few posts up from yours. post #4. The Fit comes with a plug that you can unscrew just like any other car. See picture in post #3.

This fumoto valve is an aftermarket mod that makes oil changes a bit easier. No more replacing washers and no more unscrewing plugs. Plus, if you get the version with the nipple, you also wind up with a cleaner oil change, meaning less mess.

I hope that helps.

Old 11-02-2008, 10:48 PM
5 Year Member
Drain Plug

If you are going to use the stock drain plug, take a paint pen (I like green) and match mark the drain plug and the pan boss that it screws into. Then you can retighten to align the marks and it should be pretty close to correct. I use a torque wrench but I've found the match mark thing is close enough. Of course this depends on the plug being correctly tightened to start with.

Old 11-03-2008, 12:01 AM
please provide exact link

to the part you purchased for the 09 fit. I would like to get one

Old 11-03-2008, 04:26 AM
I have Fumoto valves on two of my VWs. They are great. I prefer the nipple-free variety so I can just slide the drain pan under there, open the valve, drain the oil, then close it off and slide out the drain pan when done.

I recommend the Fumoto valves.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:27 AM
Retired Moderator
Wow.. nice little valve there... might have to get one..

Old 11-03-2008, 07:42 AM
5 Year Member
Nice post.. I didn't know these things existed. I enjoy changing my own oil and this would come in quite handy.

Old 11-03-2008, 08:27 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by concorde
Nice post.. I didn't know these things existed. I enjoy changing my own oil and this would come in quite handy.
Just be aware that oil flows out of the Fumoto slower than simply removing the OE plug. However, this is the only negative I've experienced.

Just give yourself an hour (have a cup of coffee, or do whatever), and when you get back to it, just close the valve, and finish the job.

Old 11-03-2008, 11:48 AM
5 Year Member
This might have saved my old, old car; damn hack mechanics wore out the threads.

I think I'm gonna be doing my own oil changes again, and getting this valve should make things smoother.
So is the 106N the correct size/part for the 09 Fits?

Old 11-03-2008, 01:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by badself
Just be aware that oil flows out of the Fumoto slower than simply removing the OE plug. However, this is the only negative I've experienced.

Just give yourself an hour (have a cup of coffee, or do whatever), and when you get back to it, just close the valve, and finish the job.
Willdo... I sometimes just let it sit and drain overnight with the old filter off and just finish up in the morning. I'm one of those anal types who like every last bit of old oil, sediment, metal shavings, etc., out during oil changes. Heck, I'll even go as far as tilting the car on jacks in different angles just to be sure. That's pretty sick, I know..

Old 11-03-2008, 07:17 PM
i have one on my rsx since 02, no problems what so ever

Old 11-03-2008, 09:43 PM
5 Year Member
Please post the direct link to the plugs that fit the FIT.

Quick Reply: Is the oil drain plug recessed?