2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Problematic front headrests AND B-pillar trim

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 01:57 PM
Problematic front headrests AND B-pillar trim

I thought I'd combine my two questions into one thread.

First, I had a 4 hour drive the day after I picked up my '09 Sport last Wednesday. I like to keep my driver's seat fairly vertical but immediately noticed that the headrest was too tilted forward. It kept on bopping me in the head which really strained my neck. I had to tilt my seat back until it wasn't hitting me any more, which then strained my back. Has anyone else had this issue with their front headrests?

Secondly, I'm considering getting the B-pillar carbon fiber trim. I noticed that my B-pillars are constantly dirty and show smudges very obviously. However, I'd like to see how this trim looks installed on an '09 before I order it. College Hill only has a picture of the pieces themselves, not the trim ON the car.

Old 09-28-2008, 02:32 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Yup, the Honda factory Fit seats are not the greatest. I even purchased these thinking they would make it alittle more comfortable:

Here are some pictures of Fit of Rages' car with the pillars you were looking at. He has the great visors on the last picture with the CF pillars.

Hope this helps!

Cat :x

Old 09-28-2008, 02:35 PM
Originally Posted by Cat
Yup, the Honda factory Fit seats are not the greatest. I even purchased these thinking they would make it alittle more comfortable:

Here are some pictures of Fit of Rages' car with the pillars you were looking at. He has the great visors on the last picture with the CF pillars.

Hope this helps!

Cat :x
Great! Thanks. Thought I was going nuts with the headrests. I find the seats and driving position very comfortable but that darn headrest angle is really dumb!

Old 09-28-2008, 02:38 PM
I noticed the headrest too, I believe this is because of the active head restraints. The headrests move foward in an accident to help avoid whip lash. I have gotten used to the head rest being closer to my head and I dont seem to notice it as much as when I first got the car....

Last edited by GR8SHAG; 09-28-2008 at 07:00 PM.
Old 09-28-2008, 02:43 PM
The 09 does have active headrestraints and the headrests are tilted more forward. They should have just kept them more back...i mean wouldnt the active head restraint system push them forward to catch your head anwyays?
I suppose the double whammy will get honda a Good rating on the rear impact tests.

Old 09-28-2008, 02:44 PM
Originally Posted by GR8SHAG
I noticed the headrest too, I believe this is because of the active head restraints. The headrests move foward in an accident to help avoid whip lash. I have gotten used to the head rest being closer to my head it I dont seem to notice it as much as when I first got the car....
Note that I switched the headrests in the front and this seemed to help my situation. That and I tilted the seat back a tad so that my neck/head are comfortable AND my back isn't strained. Think I've found that "sweet spot" but we'll see after a full week of driving.

Old 09-28-2008, 05:00 PM
5 Year Member
I've had the same problem finding the "sweet spot" It doesn't bother me a lot, but it is a bit annoying. Next month, I'm driving to New Orleans, so that will give me a lot of time to experiment.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:22 PM
5 Year Member
I am pretty comfortable with mine. I think the headrest is a high point of the seat design, as I can comfortable lean my head back while driving without tilting my head back much at all. It doesnt bump me when not leaning my head back though, probably because I like my seat reclined back more than y'all. I guess they couldnt please everyone.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:28 PM
Originally Posted by FitCanada_Girl
Note that I switched the headrests in the front and this seemed to help my situation.
What did you switch them with? Or do you mean switched the driver's with the passenger's?

Old 10-15-2008, 07:29 AM
5 Year Member
I am happy with the seat and headrest position. Maybe I recline the seat more than most?

Old 10-15-2008, 08:33 AM
Originally Posted by FiveFreshFish
What did you switch them with? Or do you mean switched the driver's with the passenger's?
Correct (on the last point)

Old 10-15-2008, 10:36 AM
My wife had the same issue with her Element. It's used mostly w/o the rear seats, so I put the rear seat head rests in the front seats and problem solved. I don't know whether that solution is applicaple to the Fit.

Old 10-15-2008, 03:03 PM
All the Honda models have this defect. The test dummy they use to design these must have a broken neck. I always have to pull the headrests out and turn them around even though they look stupid this way and defeat their purpose.
Honda must think everybody stares down at the floor.

Old 10-15-2008, 03:05 PM
Originally Posted by CMag
Honda must think everybody stares down at the floor.
Or has flat heads.

Old 10-15-2008, 03:08 PM
Oh good, it's not just me who thinks EXACTLY the same thing! Hopefully they keep a tally of "stuff to improve on next year" as per the second generation vs. the first. They really fixed most of the items people complained about but bam, crappy headrests. Wonder if the first generation had this same issue?

Old 10-15-2008, 05:03 PM
5 Year Member
I know what you're saying and I didn't encounter this until you posted about it and then tried it out to see what you're talking about. I don't recline my seatback too much but I don't rest my head on the headrest ever unless I do long highway drives, which, here in L.A. is never. But when I do lean my head back it does immediately hit the headrest. To me it's fine. It's supposed to prevent whiplash. But I can see if I were on long highway drives and I wanted to transform my seat into a barcalounger that would be a problem.

Old 10-15-2008, 05:29 PM
whats the proper positioning of a head rest? I put mine all the way down and never use it, probably not the safest thing.

Old 11-08-2010, 06:26 PM
In other cars, I've turned the headrest around, but in the 2009 Fit Sport it won't go in backwards. So far, all I've done is raise it to the maximum height, so the furthest-forward part is above the top of my head. (I'm 5'4" ish.) I'm sure that's not safe!

Now I'll definitely try swapping it w/the passenger's and rear head rests, to see if that helps. Thanks for those ideas!

For me, the combination of the forward-jutting headrest and the weak lumbar support threw my back out. I'd never had back problems in a car before. I've tried a bunch of different lumbar cushions, and I've found one that works pretty well. Stopping every hour to stretch helps, too. I wish the Fit had adjustable lumbar support (like my 2000 Hyundai Elantra did).

Old 11-08-2010, 06:36 PM
+1 on uncomfortable seats. I will eventually get a bucket to replace the driver seat

Old 11-08-2010, 11:26 PM
Agreed...Looking at Recaros (dreaming) or some Corbeau's....Love to have a comfy seat like my prelude again!