2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Check in if you bought a fit 08 or 09 in the last 30 days.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 11:54 PM
5 Year Member
I've had my 2009 Honda Fit Sport MT in Storm Metallic Silver for a month now, and i've already driven it 1800 miles, primarily just for work. Its a great car so far, I was gentle on it for the first 600 miles, only revved to 3k max for the first 400 miles, then 4k for the next couple hundred miles, and only went to 5k once before I hit 600 miles. Shortly there after I let vtec kick in and took it up to redline, then I would baby it for a while, and I've been progressively driving it harder, and varying between 4 different "modes" of driving, hypermiler, relaxed, normal, and sporty, you know mixing it up a bit, but for the most part I take it easy. I've averaged 33-35 mpg driving 85%/15% city/highway so far with the a/c running all the time (houston, tx). The mpg gauge is off between 2-4mpg, speedo is dead on, i've had the low pressure indicator come on due to colder climate for fall.

All season floor mats.
Datadots
Diamondguard windshield
Tint
Interior and Paint Protection (The interior does collect lint and hair easily, reminds me of the scotchguard effect, but it is really easy to clean "blemishes" from where you rest your arms with Meguairs Quik Out), The paint protection does a great job protecting from bugs, sap, and other contaminates.

All these things were dealer installed options that I couldn't have them remove, and they did upgrade from carpeted mats to all season for no additional charge. The selection for 09 Sports with MT is slim, and I didn't want a high profile color like orange or red, I also didn't want another black car in this texas heat. There were no white cars, so I got Silver, which is a color between black and white. (I love black cars, but the heat here in a black car is terrible)

I haven't hauled anything requiring folding down the back seats, and I was able to fit my GF's two HUGE suitcases in the hatch area no problem. I've done a couple grocery runs, and trips to the pet store. I do wish the hatch cover over the spare was stronger, as it didn't like two 40lb cat litter buckets on it. I guess I could always use tall mode and put the buckets behind the driver and passenger seats in the future.

Overall the Fit is a great car, and I look forward to the many years of service it will provide me with.

Last edited by cloudasc; 10-20-2009 at 12:01 AM.
Old 10-23-2009, 02:46 PM
5 Year Member
Thought I'd peck a few words, and now realize I have done a GWTW-length post. Sorry. First post, so I'll try to do better next time.

So ... last January, I successfully convinced my wife, Kathi, a treehugger of the first rank, that she should replace her daily commuter, a '99 Honda Civic at c.160K miles, with something newer. It was in quite good shape, but repairs loomed. A believer in the laws of physics, I had in mind bigger, as she slogs 60 miles on the local interstates every day, and contends with crazies in 3-ton SUV's. She had in mind hybrid or some other such itty-bitty green vehicle.

We went to the Atlanta car show earlier in the year, and, to our mutual surprise, she narrowed her look to a VW EOS or a MINI convertible.

The VW demo went fine, tho I almost fell asleep. The hard-charging MINI sales guy said he'd bring the demo to our house. Well, OK.

Naturally, he brought an S model. My Sierra Club queen turned into Danica Patrick in about three blocks; in a few weeks, Kathi had a MINI Cooper S convertible, fresh off the boat. Pepper white, chocolate top, matching leather interior. More.

Surprised me, but, after I drove it (wow, btw), I convinced her that she needed to keep it garaged and saved for weekend trips, etc. What she needed now was a daily commuter that we (code for me) wouldn't be afraid to park in the Publix parking lot for fear of dings and we (ditto re code) wouldn't get reckless-driving tickets unless they were "worth it," i.e., in the twisties, etc.

The search was on again.

Looked at Toyota Yaris, because we'd thought we try a "Nonhonda" after 18 years of an Accord and the late Civic. Unfortunately, the local sales folks revealed some integrity issues that closed that door for me. Know that can happen in any brand, but the VW and MINI experience had none of that, so we next looked at Honda. We live in downtown Atlanta, so the Fit seemed a good choice.

The new car would be an outside car. The not-so-large garage has the MINI and several motorcycles in it, none of which I will permit to camp out of doors unless on a road trip! That (and Georgia's sun much of the year) made white smart. And, Kathi insists on manual transmission. We had also spent (WAY) more on the MINI than I believed we would, so we wanted the base model Fit. The local Honda dealers said they couldn't find one, so, as we (code for Kathi) seem spend as much time in grandbaby land (northern Virginia) as in Atlanta, I tried there.

Next thing I knew, we flew into Reagan, squeezed the grandbabies, and drove away in a white, M/T, 2009 Fit from Rosenthal Fairfax Honda.

As a motorcyclist, I prefer back roads; as an indulgent wife, Kathi goes along without (too much) complaining. As a (moderately) smart husband, I know when to jump the slab. So, we did the 657 miles home last Sunday via a combo of interstate, back roads, and about 40 miles of the BRP.

We were both very pleasantly surprised by the Fit. After the MINI -- which would kick the Fit silly in any sort of performance (except mpg) category -- the Fit actually seemed a more pleasant long-distance ride in terms of comfort, noise, etc., after etc., for well below half the price.

After reading the last few pages of this thread, think we got a very good deal (tho I'll keep the $ details private), and our sales guy at Fairfax Honda (Mike Kim) was quite responsive to an out-of-town buyer on a low-profit car.

Only drawbacks I've noticed so far are:

* needs hands-free set-up. I have pretty well convinced Kathi that using a cell phone while driving is irresponsible (actually, worse; I tone down my views for Kathi and this post ), and she has pretty well convinced me that she HAS to talk on the move, but will use a hands-free device. Have PM'd a member here about a Parrot product. If that works, fine.

* Needs floor mats. The dealer put on splashguards without me asking. Said they "do that for all Fits." Surprised me, but n/c, so great. But nada else. I bought some $12 (really) mats at an auto-parts store, but looking for something better. The prices of the OEM mats are silly, so I'm looking for a better fit (so to speak) than my cheap ones, which are destined for the '93 pickup, which will feel tarted up with those.

* Needs door moldings to protect from the inevitable cretins who bang their doors into yours and look surprised when you take offense. I'll probably break down and buy the OEM ones, as they look better than the after-market versions I've seen. I'll install 'em myself; the $100 to stick those on is insulting. [Note to self: don't put 'em on crooked or you'll regret saying that.]

* The TPMS light stays on. Fairfax Honda said it was "the weather." I didn't and don't think so, because it's still on, 900 miles and lots of weather changes later.

Otherwise, happy with car. Fuel consumption is much better than expected, at least if computer is accurate. I'm going to check against actual usage to see if the computer isn't "optimistic."

And, also happy to see this forum. Maybe I'd still have my first brand-new car -- a 1972 VW 411 -- if the internet and boards like this had been around then. Nah ... probably not.

If you got this far, you need to think about getting a social life or work hard at keeping a job that lets you surf that much!

Bill

Old 10-23-2009, 02:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GuzziGuy
If you got this far, you need to think about getting a social life or work hard at keeping a job that lets you surf that much!
Wellll... I'm unemployed. :P

Congrats on the Fit and I'm a (fair weather) motorcyclist as well!

Old 10-23-2009, 03:57 PM
5 Year Member
Picked up my Fit LX a week ago 2day 260km's now on the clock and it's been awsome! Now... what 2 mod? Are there any front lips or bumpers for non sport fronts?

Old 10-23-2009, 11:33 PM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GuzziGuy
Thought I'd peck a few words, and now realize I have done a GWTW-length post. Sorry. First post, so I'll try to do better next time.

Bill
Dang and I thought I was chatty! You just used up 4 mos. worth of posts, now you have to sit down and shut up!

Seriously, welcome and ... hush! ha ha.

Old 10-30-2009, 10:17 AM
I just picked up a 2009 Blackberry Pearl Fit Sport AT w/o NAV for $18,500 out-the-door at Motorcars Honda here in Cleveland. It took us over three weeks to find Blackberry Pearl. My wife and I are loving it!

Old 11-02-2009, 10:11 PM
BlackBerry Pearl MT Sport 5 sp

Everyone loves this little car for getting around town. Parking, Cornering, utility, and cheap on gas.

Cons - you sit a little low for checking out traffic ahead.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:02 PM
Hi, I'm really new to the forum. I think this is my second post. Any hoo.. I'm picking up my 2009 Honda Fit Sport AT with Nav tomorrow after work. Not sure whether I got a good deal but hoping I did. Took both the manual and automatic transmission models for a test drive and was pleased with how both responded. Overall it seems like a really good car and I'm excited about getting it tomorrow.

I posted a note in another section about getting window tinting done. I'm in IL about 30 miles southeast of Chicago. Anyone near that area who has a good shop that they can recommend?

Thanks,
Deb

Old 11-03-2009, 12:52 AM
I got my 2009 Milano Red Fit Sport M/T on Saturday Should I wait til after the break in to start modding it? I dont really have the money atm anyways but would it affect the break in?

Old 11-03-2009, 01:28 AM
Picked up my Tafetta White 2009 Fit Sport w/o Navi for $19675 out the door. I think I could have gotten it lowered a few hundred, but I was honestly tired with dealing with these salespeople and just told my friend (who's an auto broker) to get me a price below $20k and I'll take it. So, yep. :]

Old 11-03-2009, 02:02 AM
2009 Orange Reveloution Fit 10/30

I picked up a Sport Auto on 10/30/09 From Frank Kent Honda In Ft Worth .A Little slow but otherwise love the car . Gas milage keeps getting better every fill up .Love the Navigation unit . Changing out Factory Speakers already .Handles nice and interior is comfy and roomy and instrument heads up is easy on the eyes .Using Car for in town Weatherford Tx College driving and occasionally toting twin 3yr olds .The car is growing on me ,Not the most stylish car but amenities are nice for price and MPG is awesome .I do love the color though. Also Night driving sux without HID .Stock halogens had to go.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:04 AM
Got an 09 Orange Rev auto sport, Last Sat. Picking it up today after heated leather seats and tint were installed.

Old 11-03-2009, 01:56 PM
Totaled my 2008 Fit Sport AT ($17200 Out-the-Door with no accessories (CT) ) in Oct =( ...Just bought my 2010 Fit Sport AT ($18800 Out-the-Door with no accessories (CT) )...

The difference between the generations is pretty impressive...One of my pet peeves was that I couldn't stick my gps on the window next to the drivers window in the 2008...With the 2010 It fits perfect now with the bigger window!!! Also the fact you can hide things under the magic seats is pretty awesome...one problem I had was in the 2008 everything out in the open if it wasn't in the glovebox or under the cargo cover...but the seats in the back seem like some cushioning was lost to make that happen. The cloth change was also good as I was so tired of using a lint roller on my seats to get rid of fuzzies that seemed to appear out of nowhere...=) I really love the fact they added a fuel consumption display...I can finally get rid of ScangaugeII...never found a good home in the 2008.

Some tips on getting a good price are be a member of an auto buying program like Costco or BJs...I'm a member of Costco so can't comment on BJ's auto buying program...Even thought the Costco program hasn't negotiated a price on the 2010 Fit most places will show the invoice price from the dealer and offer $100 to $150 over invoice price. You may have to keep asking to see the invoice sheet as a Costco member they are required to show you it and the Costco price. And use Edmunds.com to figure out what price you should be under using the Edmunds autoloan calculator. In CT I needed to be under $19000 to make sure I was getting fair deal.

Also get financing done through your local bank first and then have the dealer beat it they usually can through Honda Financing. Don't let them hit every single bank in the tristate area and ding your credit report.

Play the dealers against each other. Do two things: Give yourself a good 3 to 4 weeks to get the car and go to atleast 6 dealerships and to see what they offer you as far as price and tell them you'll be making your decision in a week. This does two things it gives you an idea of what the market price is in your area and the demand. Then wait a week and let them sweat it out. They have your email and phone number so they will try to get ahold of you. The first dealer that contacts you is the hungriest and wants the deal the most.

Also I've been to like 6 dealerships only one dealer had a manual on the lot. So you could go in asking for a manual they might counter with offering the auto at the manual price...that's what they did on the 2008. I ended up loving the paddle shifters. Dealers wanna sell what's on the lot rather then find you a car, so be flexible about color and they should work on price to sell the car on the lot. Regardless of what the say they make money even at invoice prices so don't feel bad if it's only a couple hundred over invoice the dealers get holdbacks that keep them profitable even under invoice.

Also right now is a great time to get an 2009 car as most dealers just got the 2010s on the lot and if they have any 2009s on the lot too they may be willing to undercut the price to move it.

I really wish I had more time to work some of the deals but I had a time issue as I was in a rental car that I was paying for...which sucked...I found that the NJ dealers are willing to meet and beat the price over the phone so that leads me to believe that better deals can be made there...Also don't buy the accessories at the dealer or get them to beat the prices at hondapartsdeals.com or bernardiparts.com I've actually bought from both and both were good deals just watch the shipping costs...

Not bad for a first post even though I was reading the forums before
i got my 2008.... =)

Old 11-07-2009, 05:27 PM
5 Year Member
Owner of 2008 and 2009 Sport

I'd like to start a thread for owners of both 2008's and 2009's Fits so we can compare notes on the differences. My 2009 only has 4000 miles on it and is still in the break-in period but I do have some comments on my first impressions. I looked all around to find out how to start this tread. I'm missing something. Can anyone tell me the HTML page to get this info? I went to FAQ's. Just can't find that info. Hopefully, the thread will be of interest.

Old 11-08-2009, 11:44 PM
New Fit Owner

I bought a Fit last week. Just in time too, since the 1998 Chrysler Sebring just had a starter failure. :-(

$17358 before tax, invoice, and a reimbursable Honda Care warranty for 8 years/100k miles. Still wondering if that last bit was worth it, but it is reimbursable.

Old 11-09-2009, 07:50 AM
5 Year Member
You can usually stop service warrantees and get a refund.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:29 PM
5 Year Member
Wow, been off the board for awhile and it seems this thread hasn't been updated in 2 years. Let's get it started back up.

I still have my MR '09. Several months ago, my oldest son needed a new vehicle. We found a used TW '09 AT with Nav and about 36k miles. He bought it and has been loving it ever since. Another happy Fit driver!

Old 12-28-2011, 06:23 AM
Bought my 09 Fit Sport. Love it! 50k miles 12,600$

Old 12-28-2011, 05:39 PM
Originally Posted by doublebullout
Wow, been off the board for awhile and it seems this thread hasn't been updated in 2 years. Let's get it started back up.

I still have my MR '09. Several months ago, my oldest son needed a new vehicle. We found a used TW '09 AT with Nav and about 36k miles. He bought it and has been loving it ever since. Another happy Fit driver!
doublebullout, I just bought a MR '09 Sport (Auto) with Navi with 44K. I need to PM you when I get my post count up over 20 about what I paid for my car. I paid below NADA, KBB, etc. but it seems WAY higher than the Sport without Navi.

Last edited by schwimmair; 12-28-2011 at 05:44 PM.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:25 PM
5 Year Member
Still rockin' my '09 Fit Sport MT (non-navi). ^_^

So far, I've put about 60k miles on it. I've had it since October 2008.

Edit: Hah! Oct '08 is also when I joined the forum. :-)

Quick Reply: Check in if you bought a fit 08 or 09 in the last 30 days.