2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Winter tires/wheels for 2009 Fit Sport?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 03:29 PM
Originally Posted by mahout
If they already have the wheels they can be tried without tires mounted. if they don't fit, saves mounting cost.
PS we all are awaiting your result so we;'ll know what we can do. cheers, and good luck.
The delay is due to having to order the wheels in so they're not available quite yet. I'll tell them that I'll bring the car in to test these out, "just in case". They seemed confident but, as you said, you don't really know until you put them on the actual car. Good idea! I'll be sure to let everyone else know if these Civic wheels fit on the '09 Fit Sport....

Old 09-28-2008, 11:30 AM
So I went to the tire shop yesterday to have them check how the wheels fit on my '09 Fit Sport. Perfect. I can now report that the following works on this car for a winter set: 185/60R15 88R XL Nokian Hakkalepiitta (sp???) R winter tires on "Civic 15x6 4on100" steel rims.

Old 09-28-2008, 04:31 PM
Anyone know the spec of the 2009 fit sport 16" wheels- width, weight and offset?

Old 09-28-2008, 07:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitCanada_Girl
So I went to the tire shop yesterday to have them check how the wheels fit on my '09 Fit Sport. Perfect. I can now report that the following works on this car for a winter set: 185/60R15 88R XL Nokian Hakkalepiitta (sp???) R winter tires on "Civic 15x6 4on100" steel rims.

Terrific. Thank you very much on behalf of all those needing snow tires on steel wheel.

Old 09-29-2008, 10:29 AM
Terrific. Thank you very much on behalf of all those needing snow tires on steel wheel.
Hey no problem! Glad to be the guiney pig for a winter set of wheels/tires for the 2009 Sport. Since I live in Northeastern Canada, it isn't even an option NOT to get them, especially on a smaller car with no stability control! It is now mandated by law that people in Quebec MUST run winter tires. Hopefully the same will happen in my neck of the woods since it really does make a huge difference during our 5 months of winter.

Old 11-06-2008, 02:59 PM
Just bumping this up since this is prime time for purchasing/installing winter tires up here in Canada! It's been freakishly hot here lately so I'm hoping temps drop back down to normal by November 15th when I'm booked for installation. Since my tires are "heavy duty" winter dedicated, I can't be running them in weather this hot...

Old 11-06-2008, 03:10 PM
Ok, now I'm confused. I just called Kal tire for details on my steel wheels. They informed me that they are Honda FIT steel wheels, not Honda Civic ones (despite what is written on my receipt, apparently). Couldn't give me details on the offset. Hmmm...is there any info on the wheels themselves to confirm if these are Honda Fit wheels and what the offset is?

Does anyone know offhand the specs on the 2009 Honda Fit DX steel wheels? Running a search here now but thought I'd ask in case someone knows the answer....

Last edited by FitCanada_Girl; 11-06-2008 at 03:43 PM.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitCanada_Girl
Ok, now I'm confused. I just called Kal tire for details on my steel wheels. They informed me that they are Honda FIT steel wheels, not Honda Civic ones (despite what is written on my receipt, apparently). Couldn't give me details on the offset. Hmmm...is there any info on the wheels themselves to confirm if these are Honda Fit wheels and what the offset is?

Does anyone know offhand the specs on the 2009 Honda Fit DX steel wheels? Running a search here now but thought I'd ask in case someone knows the answer....

The base Fit wheel is supposedly 5.5x15/53 offset so that wheel isn't the same as Civic wheels.
On your base Fit check the back of the stock wheel to see what offset is stamped on the back. It should say 53. It does mean the wheel will clear your calipers and fit the hub. If it does say 53 the wheels and tires should fit great. Let us know if thats not the offset stamped on the back. You can use a mirror but you may have to roll the Fit forward a few times to get the offset stamp exposed where you can see it.
PS unless its less than 45 mm it shouldn't be a problem
Good luck. i just watched WC say ND and SD got 43" of snow today.

Last edited by mahout; 11-06-2008 at 07:07 PM.
Old 11-07-2008, 08:28 AM
I'm having Kal Tire install these for me on the 15th. Free change over twice/year came with the purchase of the wheels/tires. When you say "back", where is that exactly is that on whe wheels?

We're due for our first (minor) snowfall on Monday, this after a week of record setting highs (15+ Celcius = 59+ Fahrenheit)! Next week we're due for temps below 5 Celcius (= 41 Fahrenheit) which is seasonal so I think I'm "safe" having my winter set installed then...

The base Fit wheel is supposedly 5.5x15/53 offset so that wheel isn't the same as Civic wheels.
On your base Fit check the back of the stock wheel to see what offset is stamped on the back. It should say 53. It does mean the wheel will clear your calipers and fit the hub. If it does say 53 the wheels and tires should fit great. Let us know if thats not the offset stamped on the back. You can use a mirror but you may have to roll the Fit forward a few times to get the offset stamp exposed where you can see it.
PS unless its less than 45 mm it shouldn't be a problem
Good luck. i just watched WC say ND and SD got 43" of snow today.

Old 11-07-2008, 11:39 AM
another Canadian here but from the other side of country, Kelowna, BC. Getting my 195/55R15 Nokian Hakks mounted as we speak (at Kal tire also). Had to wait a week for the steel rims - will check the specs on them this evening. Wet snow here yesterday (didn't last in town), hills are white, will be boarding soon.

Old 11-07-2008, 11:44 AM
I think Kal Tire is the only place in Canada that we can get Nokians, in store. What type of Nokian Hakks did you get? Mine are the R, size 185/60R15 for my '09 Fit Sport. As for my wheels, I think they cost $60 apiece are they're Hondas, but I'm not sure if they're Civic or Fit. My invoice says Civic but when I called them yesterday, they said Fit. Anyhow, it's important to report back here so others know which wheels fit correctly on our '09 Fits...

Originally Posted by Sabunim
another Canadian here but from the other side of country, Kelowna, BC. Getting my 195/55R15 Nokian Hakks mounted as we speak (at Kal tire also). Had to wait a week for the steel rims - will check the specs on them this evening. Wet snow here yesterday (didn't last in town), hills are white, will be boarding soon.

Old 11-07-2008, 12:38 PM
195/55R15 XL Hakkapeliitta R 89R (as per the invoice)

my rims cost $70 and are from Honda

Old 11-07-2008, 12:48 PM
Yup, that would be my identical set-up, except for the tire size. Since the stock size for the '09 Sport is 185/55R16, my local Kal Tire recommended 185/60R15, which many here agreed was the best sizing. What model/year Fit do you have and why did you go with the 195/55R15 size? Just curious.

Please provide some input on what you think of the tires! Mine are only being installed on the 15th and we're not expecting any significant snowfall in the next 2 weeks, at least...

Originally Posted by Sabunim
195/55R15 XL Hakkapeliitta R 89R (as per the invoice)

my rims cost $70 and are from Honda

Old 11-07-2008, 01:04 PM
Winter Tech - Higher Tire Pressures for Winter Driving

That article from tirerack actually recommends to pump up winter tires 3-5 psi higher to "increase tire stability and help offset the reduction in responsiveness." Interesting...

Old 11-07-2008, 02:36 PM
5 Year Member
I got a set of 4 steel rims form my Honda dealer. J 15X5½ for $61 CND each. (PN. 42700-TF0-N0)
I did check aftermarket but there were only 6" wide rims. I could have gotten those for $45 each but I wanted the exact stock size.

Bridgestone is releasing the Blizzak WS-06 in the stock 175/65R15 size soon. Best info I can find online is they should be out around 11/14/08. Hope so. I'm waiting for those.

Old 11-07-2008, 02:55 PM
Did you get the Honda Fit steel rims or the Honda Civic ones? Likely the ones for the '09 Fit DX, I would think. Thanks for providing the part number! I'm hoping there will be some info. stamped on the wheels I'm getting installed next week so I can confirm the sizing for others here....

When do you guys in Quebec HAVE to have your winter tires on by? I'm assuming there must be a date range, right?

Originally Posted by Virtual
I got a set of 4 steel rims form my Honda dealer. J 15X5½ for $61 CND each. (PN. 42700-TF0-N0)
I did check aftermarket but there were only 6" wide rims. I could have gotten those for $45 each but I wanted the exact stock size.

Bridgestone is releasing the Blizzak WS-06 in the stock 175/65R15 size soon. Best info I can find online is they should be out around 11/14/08. Hope so. I'm waiting for those.

Old 11-07-2008, 03:24 PM
5 Year Member
Yes they are specifically for the Fit. Civic ones are 6" wide (also available at dealer).

The new Quebec law says the winter tires must be on from Dec. 15th to March 15th. I'm truly happy about this new law.

I'm also not worried about getting the tires on time. My Civic will be fine for the white stuff. I have a set of rims and winter tires for it. I plan on keepping the Fit in my garage for the worst weather anyway.

Old 11-07-2008, 03:26 PM
Good to know! They must be the stock DX ones then. Thanks. I'll write down your wheel specs so I can verify with mine next week....

Originally Posted by Virtual
Yes they are specifically for the Fit. Civic ones are 6" wide (also available at dealer).

The new Quebec law says the winter tires must be on from Dec. 15th to March 15th. I'm truly happy about this new law.

I'm also not worried about getting the tires on time. My Civic will be fine for the white stuff. I have a set of rims and winter tires for it. I plan on keepping the Fit in my garage for the worst weather anyway.

Old 11-07-2008, 03:30 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Sz28r
order from tirerack.com - - they will come mounted and balanced to your door step - -

Man, am I glad I don't have to worry about winters anymore (ohio to florida 10 years ago - - aaahhhhhh)
TireRack is terrific for tire information, here in Canada the shipping, duty, exchange rate and lack of a longer term repair warranty make the deal very much less attractive. I spent many hours seeking a deal, ended up going with a local shop who knew all about the winter conditions in this area. Each geographic area is different in their snow and ice conditions. The west coast differs from the plains and the east coast is another ball game as well.

Old 11-07-2008, 03:33 PM
Exactly! Lots of recommendations to go with TireRack but not the best plan for us Canadians. I think there are local websites for tires, but I haven't found any that list packages (tires AND wheels) for the '09 Fit. I just went with my local Kal Tire, mostly because they're the only place that sells the Nokian Hakkas!

Originally Posted by kamakurakid
TireRack is terrific for tire information, here in Canada the shipping, duty, exchange rate and lack of a longer term repair warranty make the deal very much less attractive. I spent many hours seeking a deal, ended up going with a local shop who knew all about the winter conditions in this area. Each geographic area is different in their snow and ice conditions. The west coast differs from the plains and the east coast is another ball game as well.

Quick Reply: Winter tires/wheels for 2009 Fit Sport?