2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Install of '09 Fit Cargo Cover (P/N 08U35-TK6-110)

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 03:08 PM
5 Year Member
I installed the cargo cover w/ buttons over the weekend. The pushpin part IS crucial. The first time I thought I found the right hole I was wrong, so now I have a hole & stretched carpet near the far left button (GRRR!).

I like the auto-open of the cover, but now I can see those strings hanging in the rear window from my rear-view mirror. That's a little annoying.

The cover is also a bit inconvenient to stow away if you DO have to haul something big. I helped a friend return a 32" LCD TV to Best Buy that night, and while the TV fit fine lying down in the trunk, the replacement TV & box didn't. His daughter was with us, so I had to put the driver's side rear seat in Tall Mode and put the box in on it's side. With a roll-up cover, I could have easily taken it out and put the seat down instead. This one turns into it's own big piece of cargo.

I don't really like the cover, but I hate having everything exposed even more. In hindsight, I would have not installed the buttons, but now they would leave holes in my seats if I took them out... oh well. I'm eventually going to get some nice custom seat covers, so I guess I'll take them out when I get those.

Old 02-23-2009, 03:25 PM
Originally Posted by secondspassed
I think those of you with the cargo cover might want to avoid putting objects on top of it. I can imagine that golf umbrella impaling somebody if you get into an accident or even have to slam on the breaks super hard.
Ohh, where is the fun in that? I was going to keep some boxes of nails and broken glass on mine just to keep me on my toes.

Old 02-23-2009, 03:43 PM
Originally Posted by Trogdor!
I don't really like the cover, but I hate having everything exposed even more. In hindsight, I would have not installed the buttons, but now they would leave holes in my seats if I took them out... oh well. I'm eventually going to get some nice custom seat covers, so I guess I'll take them out when I get those.
That makes me glad I made the decision not to install the buttons. I didn't like the idea of drilling those things into the seats but I was sure I would have snapped them off at some point and do even more damage to the seats.

The cover is a little more difficult to remove than my last car with a similar cover. But it really isn't that bad. Just unhook the strings, pull the shelf and turn it a little to get it out. I had to do the same thing with my last car except for the turning part. It just came straight out. But my last car had no where near as much cargo capacity.

I too can see the strings in my mirror but they don't bother me. Coming from a car that was one big blind spot, this car is a breath of fresh air with it's superiour visability.

Old 02-23-2009, 04:14 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i got the same cover but i think im going to just cut the
excess felt (where the buttons are located) and not use
that flap.

it's really just an inconvenience when you need to
undo that thing...

Old 02-23-2009, 07:56 PM
Originally Posted by secondspassed
I think those of you with the cargo cover might want to avoid putting objects on top of it. I can imagine that golf umbrella impaling somebody if you get into an accident or even have to slam on the breaks super hard.
On top of the cover, yes. What I meant was, the fabric forms a u-shaped pocket between the cover and the back of the rear seats . . . that is where you could store the umbrella. The pocket is below the top of the rear seat so the danger would not be high.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:31 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
i got the same cover but i think im going to just cut the
excess felt (where the buttons are located) and not use
that flap.

it's really just an inconvenience when you need to
undo that thing...
You don't have to cut the fabric off. Just release the plastic clips with some needle nose pliers and it will come right off. It will look a lot better than having cut fabric hanging off of there.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:36 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FireFox91
You don't have to cut the fabric off. Just release the plastic clips with some needle nose pliers and it will come right off. It will look a lot better than having cut fabric hanging off of there.
ooo! thanks for that tip. will take a closer look next
time.