2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Install of '09 Fit Cargo Cover (P/N 08U35-TK6-110)

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 10:36 AM
5 Year Member
I had no idea there were pre-drilled holes for the cover. I thought I'd be having to bore into metal without good measurements.

The button flap is a very un-Honda design.

Old 09-24-2008, 10:53 AM
Originally Posted by txmatt
I have to say, though, what a dumb design by Honda. All the hoopla about the 1-pull Magic Seat improvement and then they create an accessory (which by my book is a must-have in a wagon/hatchback) that completely defeats the simplicity of the design. It's still worth it to have the cargo contents covered, but a retractable cover would have been a better design and retained the pull-the-lever-and-drop functionality of the Magic Seats.
To folow up on my previous criticism. The auto-open (when you open the hatch) of the new design IS convenient for the things I'll likely do most often. Things like loading groceries and such is easier than trying to swing them in under a retractable cover or have to retract the cover after opening the hatch to load the groceries.

In addition, while not designed to hold objects on top, if you have something like a sunshade or reusable canvas shopping bags in the back seat, the hard cover is much better for temporarily storing that stuff if the seat is needed for passengers.

Old 09-24-2008, 03:23 PM
09 Fit

Is there any way to like Jimmy rig the 07/08 cargo covers to fit a 09 Fit? I think I actually ordered one of the retractable types for my 09 and I've read that it isn't compatible with the 09's cargo area. But I like it better and want to use it. I don't like the design of the hard cover type they currently have for the 09. Thanks a lot guys.

Old 10-17-2008, 01:43 PM
h2o
Just put mine on last night and remember reading this thread about the not very intuitive design from Honda, I couldn't agree more. So what I have done instead was removing the whole fabric button flap all together. That way, as long as the rear seats are reclined, the one finger gap between cover and seat doesn't really show my stuff in the cargo area, and I'm able to put rear seats down without undoing the buttons. I do prefer the older retractable type as well.

Old 10-17-2008, 07:56 PM
5 Year Member
The button design isn't that bad. If you put the seats down when the flap is attached to the seat, it just unbuttons itself. I thought about the velcro as an option too though.

Old 10-17-2008, 08:02 PM
Originally Posted by h2o
Just put mine on last night and remember reading this thread about the not very intuitive design from Honda, I couldn't agree more. So what I have done instead was removing the whole fabric button flap all together. That way, as long as the rear seats are reclined, the one finger gap between cover and seat doesn't really show my stuff in the cargo area, and I'm able to put rear seats down without undoing the buttons. I do prefer the older retractable type as well.

I did exact what you did and it seems much cleaner. I don't like the look of the buttons on the back of seat in cargo mode.

Old 10-17-2008, 08:36 PM
CBX
I considered those various options, but ended up installing the snaps, which worked out fine for me.

To lower the seat, it's simple to reach behind and undo the two or three snaps. No drama. Having it lift when the hatch is raised is very convenient. With the seats in the lowered position, the snaps are close enough to the top bolster to not be in the way of anything I would load in there.

I like the overall design, but it seems like it should be standard equipment in a hatchback. I remember my mom's '78 Corolla included a cargo cover!

mega56; I lived in Vancouver for a while, just up from Jericho Beach. Beautiful region... I have been back several times on holiday.

Last edited by CBX; 10-17-2008 at 08:47 PM.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:10 PM
Originally Posted by CBX
I considered those various options, but ended up installing the snaps, which worked out fine for me.

To lower the seat, it's simple to reach behind and undo the two or three snaps. No drama. Having it lift when the hatch is raised is very convenient. With the seats in the lowered position, the snaps are close enough to the top bolster to not be in the way of anything I would load in there.

I like the overall design, but it seems like it should be standard equipment in a hatchback. I remember my mom's '78 Corolla included a cargo cover!

mega56; I lived in Vancouver for a while, just up from Jericho Beach. Beautiful region... I have been back several times on holiday.

What do you do with the fabric when the seats are folded down? Don't they just dangle there?

Jericho Beach is very nice indeed. Beautiful region but also the most expensive in Canada.

Old 10-17-2008, 11:08 PM
CBX
I haven't had a need to fold the seats since installing the cover, but yes, they would dangle perhaps six inches. Not a problem, really.

I had a 10th floor balcony overlooking the English Bay, North Van, Grouse Mountain, Stanley Park, and downtown. Amazing, really! I need to plan a trip, on one of the two-wheeled Hondas. Too late this year, though.

Cheers!

Old 02-04-2009, 04:26 AM
No need for velcro, wood, masking tape, laser levels, or any cutting or drilling. It's a very simple install. Instructions pdf file here:
http://www.bernardiparts.com/Images/...r_AII39855.pdf

Put the rear seats in folded down position. Measure per the instructions to find the location of the PRE-DRILLED HOLES in the seat back. You can feel with your hand that there are vertical metal ribs running up the seat back under the fabric. The holes will be on those ribs, about 1-3/4" down from the seam.

In fact, you don't even really need to mark the spot with a marker as the instructions recommend. After measuring to the approximate spot, just poke around with the push pin until you locate the hole. You won't damage the fabric by making multiple pokes. Then take one of the black plastic washers (they are called "covers" in the instructions), put it in place, and use the push pin again to verify that you are in the exact right spot. Push the screw through the fabric with your fingers, then fasten it with the screwdriver. You might find that the screw goes in at an angle. If that happens, back it out and straighen it up. Easy!

Old 02-04-2009, 12:05 PM
the pushpin part is cruicial. Without it i couldn't find the holes. the instruction that came w/ the cover didn't say that, or the measurements. I relied on the printed PDF from collegehill and it worked!

The cover is stiff enough to hold a bunch of lightweight stuff. I put a long thin stick umbrella in the grove.

Last edited by Surviver of the Fittest; 02-05-2009 at 08:21 PM. Reason: typos
Old 02-04-2009, 01:56 PM
Exclamation

I lost my instructions to this. By the time I put it on, I realized it was easy to just put it in the side mounting slots.

The flap is stupid. I think I'm going to cut it off. What a PITA.

By the way, mine had 2 strings on the back that I cut off as well. what are they for??? Did I make a booboo?

Old 02-04-2009, 03:19 PM
Originally Posted by jrlnc
By the way, mine had 2 strings on the back that I cut off as well. what are they for??? Did I make a booboo?
sorry but it's a Big BOOBOO! These 2 strings will be hung to the top of hte back door (w/ the enclosed black metal hooks) to lift hte cover up when the door is open. you should NOT cut these off or else the cover will go up automatically when hatch door is opened.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:24 AM
Our 2009 Jazz (in SG, it's branded as Jazz) comes with the cargo cover. Here are some of the photos taken on the horizontal beams/columns that's required in order to support and fill up the gaps at the side of the cargo cover:

Horizontal Beam/Column at Right-Side of Boot:

Horizontal Beam/Column at Left-Side of Boot:

Zoom-in View of the Catch Mechanism:

Old 02-22-2009, 08:06 PM
I got the cargo cover for my new Fit. I didn't like the idea of those snaps on the backs of the seats at all. If I have to slide anything large into the back with the seats down, it would snag on those things. More possible is that I rip them off. As mentioned before, the space that fabric is covering is 3 inches with the back seats in the normal position and 1/2 inch with them reclined.

The idea of the cover is to hide what is in your trunk. At 3 inches, it is going to be hard for anyone to see what is in there even with full daylight and no tint. At 1/2 inch, it is just about impossible to see what is in there.

So, my solution was to just pop out the clips holding the fabric to the shelf and tossing it in my garage. It works great like that.

Old 02-22-2009, 09:54 PM
I was wondering this same exact thing, mine didn't come with instructions though! I think I'll probably just lean the rear seats back and call it good. Thank you for all the comments!

Old 02-23-2009, 01:31 PM
I did the install too and my experience has been covered by others, but FWIW, here's my take:

- Nice cover, but a bit pricey
- PITA install, but still only about 15 minutes ONCE you have the instructions
- cover did not come with instructions, I used the one that bentsoe posted (Thanks man +rep for you!)
- Yes, only about 1/2 inch gap without flap but still a gap so I put the snaps on
- fringe benefit of flaps: with seats up, it creates a nice little pocket the whole width of the seats so you can store a long thin item (golf umbrella?) in there; this is, until you lower the seats and it falls down
- and no, don't cut the strings! They serve a very useful purpose.

Overall, I'm glad I have it.

Old 02-23-2009, 01:34 PM
5 Year Member
For those who have installed the cover...have you noticed any decrease in road noise from the rear since the cover covers the wheel wells and the hatch?

Old 02-23-2009, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by CrystalFiveMT
For those who have installed the cover...have you noticed any decrease in road noise from the rear since the cover covers the wheel wells and the hatch?
Not really, but I didn't find road noise an issue to begin with.

Now passenger noise, that's a different story.

Old 02-23-2009, 02:30 PM
5 Year Member
I think those of you with the cargo cover might want to avoid putting objects on top of it. I can imagine that golf umbrella impaling somebody if you get into an accident or even have to slam on the breaks super hard.

Quick Reply: Install of '09 Fit Cargo Cover (P/N 08U35-TK6-110)