2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

interesting facts: little stuff.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 06:51 PM
5 Year Member
I've found something really cool while browsing the service manual You guys are going to like this!

1. Turn the ignition switch to ON (II). Make sure turn off the audio unit.

2. Push and hold the preset No. 1 and No. 6 buttons. While holding the buttons, push the power button (A). Release the buttons and the self-diagnostic mode begins.

3. Press Preset button 5. Now, when you drive the vehicle, the VSP indicates the vehicle speed in km/h.

4. The self-diagnostic mode ends when you turn off the audio unit or turn the ignition switch to LOCK (0).

Old 06-25-2009, 06:53 PM
5 Year Member
Here is another one for Speaker Check Mode!

1. Turn the ignition switch to ON (II). Make sure turn off the audio unit.

2. Push and hold the preset No. 1 and No. 3 buttons. While holding the buttons, push the power button (A). Release the buttons and the speaker check mode begins. Low-Frequency hum should sound from left front door speaker.

3. Each time you press the << or >> button, the speaker outputs a beep and test the speakers in the order listed. The volume of beep can de adjusted with the VOL PUSH SELECT knob.

4. The speaker check mode ends when you turn off the audio unit or turn the ignition switch to LOCK (0).

(Table removed... basically cycles through all speakers in order)

Old 12-16-2009, 12:07 PM
5 Year Member
Re: washer solution level warning light

Not (yet) having a Fit to examine, do the US models have the indicator light present (according to the owner's manual, it's within the fuel gauge cluster)?

If so...hmmm...seems like it wouldn't be too hard to slip over the border and purchase a Canadian-model washer solution reservoir with the sending unit.

And also assuming if the light is present, they left the wiring for it in the harness, vs. a separate US-spec harness version.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:09 PM
5 Year Member
Re: washer solution level warning light

Dang, shoulda read further. P. 68 has the US Model IP layout...no light shown.

Shucks.

Old 01-02-2010, 11:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Ando
Something I just noticed last night. I was trying to find a place near the front door hinge to place the outside sensor for my new thermometer (I'm still looking for a good place, by the way--I can't seem to get consistent readings anywhere I've tried yet). That's why I was scrutinizing that area, or I wouldn't have noticed this. The triangle windows in front of the door have an odd-looking curved corner where they fit against the door and mirror. It looks perfectly normal when the door is closed, but looking closely when the door is open, it looks a little strange.
I mounted my temp sensor under the front bumper in the plastic panel there. I fished the cable through the plastic panel and ground a slit in the panel with a Drummel tool to mount the sensor. This is the general location where the factory mounts them. The area is depressed up toward the engine, so there is protection against scraping the sensor. Temperature accuracy in all situations is very good.

Old 01-03-2010, 01:30 AM
5 Year Member
I did not read all 10 pages of posts and I apologize if this was already mentioned. But one neat thing I found was, if you press the fob button to unlock your car and you DO NOT open your door within ~20 seconds, it re-locks by itself! I assume it's for in case a child is playing with it or you accidentally press it. Neat!

Old 01-03-2010, 10:23 AM
Noticed a little something with the rear wiper. If you put it on the intermittent mode, its clears twice to wipe away whatever is there, THEN goes to intermittent. Neat.

Also notice that the defrost will remember if it was on when you shut the car off, and turn itself back on. My Sentra or my older Civic never did that.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:41 PM
How jazz protects the battery!
There is a module (MICU) that “sees” everything!!
Here are only a few of the possibilities.

MICS System Description
The MICU that is combined with the under-dash fuse/relay box is one of the B-CAN network components. The MICU controls many systems related to the body controller area and security system, and also works as a gateway to diagnose the other B-CAN connected ECUs with the HDS.

Wake-up and Sleep Function
The multiplex control system has ‘‘wake-up'' and ‘‘sleep'' functions to decrease the parasitic draw on the battery when the ignition switch is OFF.
• In the sleep mode, the MICU stops functioning (communication and CPU control) when it is not necessary for the system to operate.
• As soon as any operation is requested (for example, a door is unlocked), the related control unit in the sleep mode immediately wakes up and begins to function.
• When the ignition switch is turned OFF, and the driver's door is opened, then closed, there is a delay of about 40 seconds before the control unit goes from the wake-up mode to the sleep mode.
• The sleep mode will not function if any door is opened or if a ignition switch is in any positions except LOCK (0) position.
• The draw is reduced from 200 mA to less than 35 mA when in the sleep mode.

Fail-safe Function
To prevent improper operation, the MICU has a fail-safe function. In the fail-safe mode, the output signal is fixed when any part of the system malfunctions (for example, a faulty control unit or communication line).
Each control unit has a hardware fail-safe function that fixes the output signal when there is a CPU malfunction, and a software fail-safe function that ignores the signal from a control unit, which allows the system to operate normally.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:46 PM
Originally Posted by pbanders
The Sport A/T "+" paddle shifter has two ridges on the back of it that aren't on the "-" paddle, to distinguish it by touch when you're shuffle steering and want to shift up or down.

alright, braille for blind drivers

Old 01-04-2010, 10:34 PM
Regarding the "pen-holder" in the upper glove box:

Isn't it about the perfect size to hold a USB drive?

I found it a little too small for my tire guage and a little too big for my pen. I assumed it was meant for a USB drive, but haven't tried it yet.

Has anyone tried this?

Great thread, btw.

I also noticed the rear-seat recline position by accident today. Neat-o!

Matt

Old 01-04-2010, 11:41 PM
Originally Posted by kawracer
Regarding the "pen-holder" in the upper glove box:

Isn't it about the perfect size to hold a USB drive?

I found it a little too small for my tire guage and a little too big for my pen. I assumed it was meant for a USB drive, but haven't tried it yet.

Has anyone tried this?

Great thread, btw.

I also noticed the rear-seat recline position by accident today. Neat-o!

Matt

Before reading this thread, that's what I thought it was for! My Sony 8gb USB thumb drive fits perfectly! Pft... Who needs a pen when you have your Blackberry!

Old 01-05-2010, 11:27 AM
Originally Posted by Troubler
Before reading this thread, that's what I thought it was for! My Sony 8gb USB thumb drive fits perfectly! Pft... Who needs a pen when you have your Blackberry!
Awesome! Mystery solved.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:59 PM
5 Year Member
My tire gauge fits perfectly in the pen holder.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:43 AM
Originally Posted by SheepNutz
My tire gauge fits perfectly in the pen holder.
But can your tire gauge store a few thousand songs? My gauge fit too-- but not nearly as well as my USB drive.

Last edited by kawracer; 01-06-2010 at 01:44 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-06-2010, 02:25 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dtrotzjr
The Sport w/ Navi when switching between my wife's and my own iPod remembers the last song that was playing.

Somewhat annoying, the USB device (iPod in my case) must be unplugged when trying to use the Aux input. I do this when playing my Inno XM radio on the Aux channel.
Sorry if someone else responded to this, but I didn't see it. And correct me if I'm wrong, but I've had my iPhone plugged into the Aux input (for streaming radio) and had my iPod plugged into the USB port with no problem. I just hit the Aux button to cycle through the two...

Old 01-06-2010, 10:39 PM
5 Year Member
But can your tire gauge store a few thousand songs? My gauge fit too-- but not nearly as well as my USB drive.
Nope, I keep my few thousand songs on my 32GB iPhone or 80GB iPod.

Old 01-07-2010, 01:29 PM
Originally Posted by SheepNutz
Nope, I keep my few thousand songs on my 32GB iPhone or 80GB iPod.
Yeah, sorry for being a smartass. Love your avatar, btw. great show.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:05 PM
Yeah, sorry for being a smartass. Love your avatar, btw. great show.
I was honestly shocked and a little disappointed that no one makes a combination USB memory stick/Tire gauge....seems like you can get just about anything else with a USB stick attached to it!

Old 01-07-2010, 07:54 PM
5 Year Member
Love your avatar, btw. great show.

Thanks!

Old 01-07-2010, 11:44 PM
Originally Posted by jzerocsk
I was honestly shocked and a little disappointed that no one makes a combination USB memory stick/Tire gauge....seems like you can get just about anything else with a USB stick attached to it!

I almost said the same thing! We nearly bought about 1000 USB drive keychains to promote the new website of a not-for-profit I volunteer for. At the last minute we chose LED lights instead. Both can be attached to damn near anything and given away...

Quick Reply: interesting facts: little stuff.