2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2009 Cargo cover and the magic seat

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 10:14 PM
2009 Cargo cover and the magic seat

Just got my 2009 blue sensation sport AT and I love it. My 7 year old daughter is going through here pokemon stage, and named the car pikablu (hence the login).

I really want to get the OEM cargo cover, but I'm concerned how it affects the magic seat configuration. I downloaded the installation instructions, and you actually connect the cover to the back seats.

For those who have installed it, how much effort is it to fold down the backseats, and store the cover. If it turns out to be a pain, does anyone no if the 2008 pullover cover is an option?

Any help is appreciated.

Old 09-12-2008, 10:54 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Well, I have a 2007 and the cargo cover just drops into the slots behind the back of the seats. It is spring loaded and very easy to pop it out if you need to haul something and it would be in the way. I have taken mine out several times without any problems. I love the cover for hiding shopping bags in the cargo space so no one can see what you have back there. It is so nice since you don't have the privacy of a trunk.

Cat

Old 09-12-2008, 11:01 PM
'09 cover is different: hard cover that is hinged and snaps to back of seats. As such, you have to detach from seat backs to fold them down.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:23 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by pikablu
Just got my 2009 blue sensation sport AT and I love it. My 7 year old daughter is going through here pokemon stage, and named the car pikablu (hence the login).

I really want to get the OEM cargo cover, but I'm concerned how it affects the magic seat configuration. I downloaded the installation instructions, and you actually connect the cover to the back seats.

For those who have installed it, how much effort is it to fold down the backseats, and store the cover. If it turns out to be a pain, does anyone no if the 2008 pullover cover is an option?

Any help is appreciated.
I would think an aftermarket shop will be bringing one out. Give them a couple more months.

Old 09-13-2008, 02:27 PM
5 Year Member
I installed the cargo cover on my '09 Sport - - your correct that it snaps to the seat backs - - not hard to unsnap and remove if you want to lower the seats - - not as simple as the "blind" style we have on the '07 but it serves the purpose of hiding stuff left in the hatch area.

Old 09-14-2008, 04:18 AM
Originally Posted by kamakurakid
I would think an aftermarket shop will be bringing one out. Give them a couple more months.
Was just wondering if any '09 owners could check how possible this might be. If it is easy, wonder why Honda didn't go this route.

Who do you folks think would be likely to make/distribute this. Sorry I am not much for accessorizing, but if I get the Fit I would like this feature.

Thanks.

Old 09-14-2008, 09:47 AM
Zeta products...

Honda Fit

...made quite a few accessories for the 1st Gen Fit and they posted recently they were working on a center console for the 09's. They'd be high on the list for a vendor that might create one.

Old 09-14-2008, 03:15 PM
Originally Posted by rhinox
Was just wondering if any '09 owners could check how possible this might be. If it is easy, wonder why Honda didn't go this route.
I heard that the 09 does NOT have the groves on the back where the roll-up cover can slip into. honda usually pays a lot of attention to little details. they must have a good reason to take those groves out and replace it w/ the shelf cover.

i will get the cover anyway since i dont' need to haul big things all the time. for groceries it's better to shield it away from direct sunlight or ice cream will melt faster in the summer. most of all i almost always have some junk in the trunk and i really don't want anyone to see it. i'd rather use the tall mode for items that can fit there rather than resorting to the utility mode. only when i absolutely need to use the utility mode will i actually use it, and by then the hassle of removing the cover isn't going to be a big deal.

Old 09-14-2008, 09:27 PM
Originally Posted by txmatt
Zeta products...

Honda Fit

...made quite a few accessories for the 1st Gen Fit and they posted recently they were working on a center console for the 09's. They'd be high on the list for a vendor that might create one.
Thanks for the tip. I wonder if there is a high demand for something like this? Just seems the solution they have for the 09 is so inelegant...

Old 09-14-2008, 09:32 PM
Originally Posted by Surviver of the Fittest
I heard that the 09 does NOT have the groves on the back where the roll-up cover can slip into. honda usually pays a lot of attention to little details. they must have a good reason to take those groves out and replace it w/ the shelf cover.

i will get the cover anyway since i dont' need to haul big things all the time. for groceries it's better to shield it away from direct sunlight or ice cream will melt faster in the summer. most of all i almost always have some junk in the trunk and i really don't want anyone to see it. i'd rather use the tall mode for items that can fit there rather than resorting to the utility mode. only when i absolutely need to use the utility mode will i actually use it, and by then the hassle of removing the cover isn't going to be a big deal.
Yeah, if there is no other choice, a more cumbersome cover is better than none. Drat.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:41 PM
Unhappy No cargo covers for 09 Fits

I just picked up my 2009 Fit yesterday and was informed by the dealer that there were no cargo covers available. I contacted Honda Canada today to find out why and they said there was a complete recall in both Canada and the US because of toxic materials used in the cargo covers. They also mentioned that they are waiting for some responses on another supplier. I wonder if Honda is seriously going to pursue getting another supplier or if they're going to let this quietly die and just not worry about the cargo covers. That would be a shame because I think for any semblance of security, particularly at this time of year, you need a cover for the cargo space to prevent prying eyes and greedy hands from knowing what you're carrying.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:51 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by dynahthirst
I just picked up my 2009 Fit yesterday and was informed by the dealer that there were no cargo covers available. I contacted Honda Canada today to find out why and they said there was a complete recall in both Canada and the US because of toxic materials used in the cargo covers. They also mentioned that they are waiting for some responses on another supplier. I wonder if Honda is seriously going to pursue getting another supplier or if they're going to let this quietly die and just not worry about the cargo covers. That would be a shame because I think for any semblance of security, particularly at this time of year, you need a cover for the cargo space to prevent prying eyes and greedy hands from knowing what you're carrying.
I think you are over worried really, with the mark up Honda makes on these cargo covers they are pure gold to the profit margin. Much cheaper in the USA if you Google about, though I bought from the dealer in Canada for my 2007.

You might want to look at a window tint as well, these Fits really heat up in the summer and as you mention the eyes might be on your cargo area for the gifts in back. A nice band across the upper windshield is a wise tint as well, in case you have not noticed the sun does find a way.

There will be after market goods for the 2009, I would think in early in the new year the selection will be as good as for the current 2007-8 models.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:53 PM
5 Year Member
You don't have to even attach the buttons to the rear seats (I didn't). In fact, you could just cut the hanging black fabric off and just use the cover. It has 2 hinges that clip into the black plastic on the sides of the car. The only thing that black fabric flaps (which button into the back of the back seats) do, is cover a 3 inch gap btw the seats and the lid ---when the rear seats are not reclined---!!! When you recline the seats there is hardly any way to see down in there (maybe 1/2" gap). Of course if you lay the seats down flat, they would just unbutton as you laid them down and you would have 2 flaps hanging down to afford some privacy for whatever may be back there while the seats are down.

Heres the instructions for anyone who may not have seen them (look at where the hinges attach on number 6):
http://www.collegehillshonda.com/ins...cargocover.pdf

Also, you Canadians may want to check out: http://www.collegehillshonda.com/hon...ccessories.htm
They will ship to Canada, but say to call for a shipping quote.

Last edited by BlackUp; 12-03-2008 at 10:02 PM.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:00 PM
Originally Posted by kamakurakid
I think you are over worried really, with the mark up Honda makes on these cargo covers they are pure gold to the profit margin. Much cheaper in the USA if you Google about, though I bought from the dealer in Canada for my 2007.

You might want to look at a window tint as well, these Fits really heat up in the summer and as you mention the eyes might be on your cargo area for the gifts in back. A nice band across the upper windshield is a wise tint as well, in case you have not noticed the sun does find a way.

There will be after market goods for the 2009, I would think in early in the new year the selection will be as good as for the current 2007-8 models.
Thanks very much, kamakurakid! For the time being, I'm going to make a shelf out of foam core to hide the cargo area and then I can just wait until the new year and start looking. From what I've heard about Honda, they do, in fact, care about their customers, so I'm sure they'll be coming up with something. And thanks for the window tint suggestion. I'll definitely look into that.

Old 01-01-2009, 10:17 PM
Originally Posted by dynahthirst
I contacted Honda Canada today to find out why and they said there was a complete recall in both Canada and the US because of toxic materials used in the cargo covers. They also mentioned that they are waiting for some responses on another supplier.
Hmm, this might explain why the Cargo Cover is not available on the Honda Website. But if there was a complete recall, how come College Hills Honda is selling the covers? They wouldn't be able to sell the toxic covers, would they?

Old 01-01-2009, 10:45 PM
Exclamation I don't know about the cargo cover, but the cargo organizer smells horrible!

I bought both of them for my 09 Fit.

The cargo organizer is the one used for the Odyssey also. It has such a strong plastic/chemical smell that I can't stand it and refuse to put it in my car.

I thought it was just the "new" smell that some vinyl/plastic/synthetic materials have. So I let it air out for a couple of days. It started smelling so bad in the house that I threw it out in the garage. The smell is not dissipating from this awful thing and I am going to ask Bernardi to give me a refund.

I've never had a product smell like that.

I'll bet it's another case of low-grade toxic Chinese-made goods that have been invading the US.

Old 01-01-2009, 10:47 PM
5 Year Member
Just tint your windows and be done with it.

The cargo cover seems like a pain in the a$$ to use. It is not very sturdy and where do you put it if you have something large.

Tint baby.

Old 01-01-2009, 11:07 PM
Originally Posted by jrlnc
I bought both of them for my 09 Fit.

The cargo organizer is the one used for the Odyssey also. It has such a strong plastic/chemical smell that I can't stand it and refuse to put it in my car.

I thought it was just the "new" smell that some vinyl/plastic/synthetic materials have. So I let it air out for a couple of days. It started smelling so bad in the house that I threw it out in the garage. The smell is not dissipating from this awful thing and I am going to ask Bernardi to give me a refund.

I've never had a product smell like that.

I'll bet it's another case of low-grade toxic Chinese-made goods that have been invading the US.
Where did you buy it from--direct from the dealer?

Old 01-01-2009, 11:14 PM
Thumbs down Cargo organizer was from Bernardi

I bought it from Bernardi Honda Parts.

As I remember, every box I opened had Honda's logo on it and came from Japan.

Just to be clear -- I don't blame Bernardi at all for this. This is the manufacturer's problem.

Does yours smell bad?

Old 01-01-2009, 11:18 PM
Bernardi is a dealer that sells the cars? or do they just sell parts only?

Quick Reply: 2009 Cargo cover and the magic seat