2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

What do you DISLIKE about the 2-Gen Fit?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 01:12 AM
What do you DISLIKE about the 2-Gen Fit?

We are all aware of the many strong features of the 2-Gen. Fit, but . . .

I've always found it valuable to learn of the negative characteristics of a car from its owners . . . flaws in design that may likely never be covered in a typical review, but come out when living with the car day to day.

This information maybe a useful tool for those thinking about getting a 2- Gen. Fit

So, what criticism do owners have of the 2- Generation Fit (GE)?

Old 09-09-2008, 01:29 AM
5 Year Member
None of the following is by any means a major complaint with the car. They're all minor. But here's what I came up with:

- gauge cluster windows are angled towards light and creates glare, but also easily shows of any microscratches. (There were already some when I took delivery. It's unavoidable it seems)

- MT shifter is a quite low and forward. Plus, ideally I would like a little shorter throws, and I prefer a heavier shift feel.

- Torque. (duh)

- Steering feel outside of just off center turns into a more artificial feel, though it's still accurate and linear at that point. I myself prefer a very heavy steering effort.

- Brake pedal effort is a little high, at least compared to what I'm used to. And, so far anyway under panic stops the rear becomes a little unsettled. Wider, grippier tires will mitigate this substantially.

- Radio bass is at times a little boomy, which is pretty standard across the Honda/Acura line.

- No satellite radio capability.

- fan speeds are far apart. Lowest setting is low and quiet, while the next setting is strong and a little noisy.

- A/C not the strongest.

- No outside temp gauge.

- No concealable storage compartments up front for cds, keys, coins, etc.

- Would like standard center armrest with storage.

- Would like standard radio controls on steering wheel.

- Horn is whimpy.

That's about all I can think of now. Again, I iterate that though this list seems long, they're all minor and if all of them were addressed and included in this car I would say it is the best car on the planet, ever.

But I can dream can't I?

Old 09-09-2008, 01:33 AM
5 Year Member
no refresh mode

Old 09-09-2008, 08:55 AM
5 Year Member
+53 offset wheels with a wide track that's going to make running anything else difficult.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:08 AM
5 Year Member
I am on tones of car forums and every time there is a new redesign model of any car comes out current owner of the old out going model would bash it. It's just the way it is. It's a good way to feel better about your purchase, it's human nature.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:08 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mole177
no refresh mode
How many times have you use your refresh mode?

Old 09-09-2008, 10:50 AM
its pretty bumpy and the rear seat backrest is not tall enough. would be uncomfortable on long trips.

Old 09-09-2008, 11:06 AM
5 Year Member
What is "refresh mode?"

Thorough list, CrystalFiveMT. I know where you're coming from, but (as you seem to realize) if the feel of the steering and shifter were heavier, and the engine had more torque, we'd be talking about a different car.

No chance to drive one yet myself. They're all sold out in my area.

Old 09-09-2008, 11:27 AM
  1. The Instrument cluster scratches up on the plexiglass alot, they need to use glass or use more durable and coated transparent plastics.
  2. Cup holders are inadequate unless you have a 55 gallon drum of cola, but I guess they made it that way for us Americans--I hate Dodge Caravan's but the front seats get superb cup holders--why can't the Fit?
  3. I just recently started getting this annoying high pitch vibration from somewhere in the dash as the engine hits 6000-6500RPM between redline shifts getting on the highway or just having fun. I am going to try to pinpoint the vibration this weekend.
  4. Totally weak maximum volume with the Premium 6 Speaker!
  5. Black B-Pillars (between front and rear windows) are not painted but covered with Polyvinyl that scratches, scuffs, and looks like doo doo easily so I highly recommend the durable brushed aluminum B-Pillar Garnishes from your dealer.
  6. All-Season mats should be standard, I got them thrown in on the deal but Honda chose to use poor quality carpet and I think they could have used something rubbery or more durable.
  7. The Paddle shifters are great but they feel so artificial because of the hard smooth plastic they are made out of. It would be great if they used more textured and more padded ones (aka the silicone on F1 shifters), and most importantly they need to change the paddles so that they are mounted on the steering column, not the WHEEL!? So you can shift during cornering more easily...
  8. The factory alarm sucks, you could get your window broken into and your radio stolen and you wouldn't hear the alarm--it's 2008, almost 2009, when are they going to have glass break detectors and more sensitive functions integrated?

All of my dislikes for the car (which really aren't much compared to with other cars in the past) have been and will eventually all be remedied!

Last edited by TekXoID; 09-09-2008 at 11:32 AM.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:36 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hanzo
I have a GD3 and oddly enough my brother messed up his leg last week and BAM! refresh mode got him home from the hospital in comfort. Annnnd that was the only time I've ever put the seat that way.

Old 09-09-2008, 11:39 AM
I thought I would be upset about refresh mode until I realized it wasn't all seats down like I thought it was. There is still tons of room, we don't need refresh mode! I'm just going to put a bed in the back or something.

Really, I can't think of anything I don't like about my Fit. I think it has tons of storage and all the cupholders are great!

Old 09-09-2008, 11:40 AM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mkaresh
What is "refresh mode?"

Thorough list, CrystalFiveMT. I know where you're coming from, but (as you seem to realize) if the feel of the steering and shifter were heavier, and the engine had more torque, we'd be talking about a different car.

No chance to drive one yet myself. They're all sold out in my area.
Refresh mode is where you lay the passenger seat ALL the way back so it's completely flat, resting on the rear seat. Obviously, you can't have anyone in that rear seat! And, the bottom of the top half of the front seat has a bump in it, so I'm not sure just how "refreshing" laying on that seat would be, but...the Fit is all about flexibility. The '09 cannot lay back completely.

Oh, and I think the driver's side can do the same thing, but only when you aren't driving the car!

Old 09-09-2008, 11:44 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by honda2112
I have a GD3 and oddly enough my brother messed up his leg last week and BAM! refresh mode got him home from the hospital in comfort. Annnnd that was the only time I've ever put the seat that way.
I don't think refresh mode is intended to be use during driving condition from Honda.

Old 09-09-2008, 11:55 AM
5 Year Member
I was considering trading in my 08 Black Berrry Pearl Fit for an 09 but...NO REFRESH MODE... NO WAY...

I use Refresh mode at least once a week with my Girlfriend. We go places like the beach and park and hook the laptop to the speakers and bust REFRESH Mode and watch a movie.

We also have little picnics everytime we order TO-GO we eat in the Car REFRESHMODE.....kus its so SPACIOUS.

REFRESH MODE FOR THE WIN.

And the 08 looks more cute and dorkier than the 09...which to me looks like a PRIUS...yes...I've seen the RED, Silver and ORANGE in Person of the 09 because I live in socal....

I've seen that Orange Fit from Hermosa on the 405 FReeway last week and I saw a Silver just yesterday driving next to me in Brentwood. And the Red at Gardena HOnda.....I've seen the 09...and no thank you....

Old 09-09-2008, 12:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hanzo
0 since i dont have it.

Old 09-09-2008, 12:33 PM
steering wheel audio controls

Old 09-09-2008, 12:51 PM
Originally Posted by CrystalFiveMT
- Would like standard center armrest with storage.

- Would like standard radio controls on steering wheel.
I haven't even bought an '09 Fit yet but have researched it heavily. These are two of my biggest gripes about the 2nd gen. And while I can buy the center armrest with storage as an accessory, I can't get steering wheel radio controls because there is no Nav option for us poor Canadians. So sad! The other gripe I have is that the glovebox has no lock on it. I don't think I've seen any other car on the market that doesn't come with a locked glovebox!

Oh ya and re: no refresh mode, I agree with others who say "who cares?". The concept sounded nice at first but then when you realize the effort it took to put the old Fit in Refresh mode, plus the fact you'd get your dirty feet all over the drivers seat, isn't it easier just to recline the drivers seat to lie down?

Old 09-09-2008, 01:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TekXoID
  1. The Instrument cluster scratches up on the plexiglass alot, they need to use glass or use more durable and coated transparent plastics.
  2. Black B-Pillars (between front and rear windows) are not painted but covered with Polyvinyl that scratches, scuffs, and looks like doo doo easily so I highly recommend the durable brushed aluminum B-Pillar Garnishes from your dealer.
  3. All-Season mats should be standard, I got them thrown in on the deal but Honda chose to use poor quality carpet and I think they could have used something rubbery or more durable.
  4. The Paddle shifters are great but they feel so artificial because of the hard smooth plastic they are made out of. It would be great if they used more textured and more padded ones (aka the silicone on F1 shifters), and most importantly they need to change the paddles so that they are mounted on the steering column, not the WHEEL!? So you can shift during cornering more easily...
All of my dislikes for the car (which really aren't much compared to with other cars in the past) have been and will eventually all be remedied!
#1: I'm not sure anyone uses glass anymore, if only for crash safety. But clearly this isn't a problem in most cars.

#2: I once observed a discussion about paint vs. tape inside an automaker. Apparently the paint is hard to apply well and tends to have even more reliability issues than tape. And it's more expensive. So tape is on more and more cars rather than paint.

#3: I don't think all-season mats are standard in any car; in some special SUVs, yes

#4: This is a HUGE one for me in many cars. I've driven some $60,000 cars with cheap plastic shift buttons mounted to the wheel. but padded and weighted is much nicer, and especially nice if they're fixed to the column (as in the 2009 Maxima).

Old 09-09-2008, 01:08 PM
the only complaint i have about the car is that the clutch and brakes are way to close to each other.... and the brake pad and clutch are about the same size.... overall... i love the 2nd gen

Old 09-09-2008, 01:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by weenee

And the 08 looks more cute and dorkier than the 09...which to me looks like a PRIUS...yes...I've seen the RED, Silver and ORANGE in Person of the 09 because I live in socal....
I think the exact opposite, the 08s looks cuter and I wouldn't say dorkier but corkier than the 09. The 09 is more like the old Civic SI hatch.

Last edited by hanzo; 09-09-2008 at 01:17 PM.

Quick Reply: What do you DISLIKE about the 2-Gen Fit?