2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

What do you DISLIKE about the 2-Gen Fit?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 08:04 PM
I've only had the car 2 days, but here's a few things that I thought could have been better:

1. Car doesn't come with floormats.
2. Rear drum brakes
3. No bluetooth option
4. No color options for the interior
5. 2 rather small glove boxes.
6. Push-open gas door (easy access for gas thieves)
7. No steering wheel mounted audio controls in lower end models.
8. System for navigating iPod could be better (It takes forever to scroll)
9. Flimsy trunk cover over the spare.

Last edited by bojackson63044; 06-28-2009 at 08:08 PM.
Old 06-29-2009, 02:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hanzo
I think the exact opposite, the 08s looks cuter and I wouldn't say dorkier but corkier than the 09. The 09 is more like the old Civic SI hatch.
and exactly why i prefer the way it looks.

i guess what i dislike about the 09 is how many folks gripe about it despite its obvious improvements. you cant have your cake and eat it too. if gd3 owners can make do without armrests, dead pedals, passenger visors and the like, surely the 09 fit is easier to swallow.

Old 06-29-2009, 02:25 PM
Touched by his noodly appendage
Originally Posted by eldaino
and exactly why i prefer the way it looks.

i guess what i dislike about the 09 is how many folks gripe about it despite its obvious improvements. you cant have your cake and eat it too. if gd3 owners can make do without armrests, dead pedals, passenger visors and the like, surely the 09 fit is easier to swallow.
Thank you! GE owners are the biggest whiners I've ever seen. Despite the fact that it is an amazing car for its price, people will find ANY reason to complain about it. Then even make a thread so that everybody can also come here and complain.

Old 06-29-2009, 02:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by qbmurderer13
Thank you! GE owners are the biggest whiners I've ever seen. Despite the fact that it is an amazing car for its price, people will find ANY reason to complain about it. Then even make a thread so that everybody can also come here and complain.
i think you are the first person to not jump on ME for saying such things!

i would love a 2nd gen fit as my daily, a/t and all, if i didnt want a gti so bad.

honestly they are a tire change away from being a truly outstanding car.

Old 06-29-2009, 02:59 PM
Ugh I want a gti too

Old 06-29-2009, 03:02 PM
5 Year Member
Ugh I want a gti too

ha! tell me about it. i guess i just want that german high speed solid feeling again.( i owned an 07 rabbit. but i want more hp this time.)

i could do the fits suspension, (probably will) but i dont i will be able to replicate the feeling.

given the 09's more stout architecture i would assume it has a bit of this feeling.

gasp! something less for you ge8 owners to complain about!

Old 06-29-2009, 03:38 PM
I test drove a GTI DSG before I bought my Fit. It is ok fast...not faster than my CL-S I sold to buy the Fit. I even told the VW dealer that. He had me punch it and he said feel that power? I said not really...lol. It was about as powerful as my TSX. For the price IMO the GTI is not all that. Alot of bells and whistles you don't really need. The reason I bought the Fit is because it will last forever, Good mpg, Styling, Space/Storage and of course Price. If you want a fast car with crappy reliability (like VW) skip the GTI and buy a Cobalt SS...now those are fast little pocket rockets.

BTW...For anyone that complains about it needing more hp...if you bought the Fit to be fast...I pitty you.

Back on subject. The only thing I didn't like about the Fit was the stance. Too much wheel gap for me. Of course 90% of the cars stock have too much wheel gap for me (probably why I've lowered all my cars).. Integra, TSX, CL-S, Fit but other than that I think Honda did a great job on the Fit esp. for a ~$17K car.

I too think some GE owners are too picky. Its a econo car not a BMW get over it.

Last edited by Committobefit08; 06-29-2009 at 03:46 PM.
Old 06-29-2009, 03:46 PM
Actually this thread was a huge help when I was evaluating the Fit. 150+ posts of people who are presumably actual Fit drivers and most of the complaints seem to be really nitpicky (usually admittedly so) or ridiculous (make it have Acura features but still cost $17k).

I figured between reviewers' constant gushing over the Fit and actual drivers' inability to come up with any consistent major complaints, maybe there is something to this car beyond hype...so I bought one.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:57 AM
I've seen most of my little annoyances already on the list, but one I don't recall seeing (and it just hit me again tonight) is that there is no audible (or intrusive video) alert that you're low on fuel. I'm sure I had just become accustomed to such a feature from my previous car, but now it's surprising that the Fit doesn't have such a thing. The little amber gas pump seems so 1980s. My previous car not only gave an audible indication of low fuel, but LOW FUEL was displayed instead of the mileage so you'd constantly be reminded it's time to full up. Just too simple to miss on the Fit. There's my nitpik!

Old 06-30-2009, 04:20 AM
You really don't notice it when you look at your mph gauge? Even if you don't notice it right away you can go about 50 or more miles when that light turns on.

My moms car has that feature and its quite annoying. You can't look at your mileage, trip, or mpg until you fill up. Also it beeps every other minute.

Old 06-30-2009, 05:07 AM
i dont like the front, it kinda looks like the toyota sienna van but it's nice when you mod it

Old 06-30-2009, 09:04 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Committobefit08
I test drove a GTI DSG before I bought my Fit. It is ok fast...not faster than my CL-S I sold to buy the Fit. I even told the VW dealer that. He had me punch it and he said feel that power? I said not really...lol. It was about as powerful as my TSX. For the price IMO the GTI is not all that. Alot of bells and whistles you don't really need. The reason I bought the Fit is because it will last forever, Good mpg, Styling, Space/Storage and of course Price. If you want a fast car with crappy reliability (like VW) skip the GTI and buy a Cobalt SS...now those are fast little pocket rockets.

BTW...For anyone that complains about it needing more hp...if you bought the Fit to be fast...I pitty you.

Back on subject. The only thing I didn't like about the Fit was the stance. Too much wheel gap for me. Of course 90% of the cars stock have too much wheel gap for me (probably why I've lowered all my cars).. Integra, TSX, CL-S, Fit but other than that I think Honda did a great job on the Fit esp. for a ~$17K car.

I too think some GE owners are too picky. Its a econo car not a BMW get over it.

not to thread jack, but my last vw had no issues whatsoever. (an 07 rabbit.)

only about as powerful as your tsx? hmmm...considering the gti weighs about 155 lbs less and has 40lb-ft more of torque i find that a little hard to believe...especially since the last few tests of the tsx, even in the faster manual version, put its 0-60 time at about low to mid 8 seconds (car and driver and they really ring it out.)

the slowest gti i have ever read about was a manual, and it hit the mark in 6.8 seconds. the fastest was 6.2 with dsg (again per car and driver.)

granted i never owned a cl-s, and those had plenty of power, but then again they were v-6's. if i owned one i wouldn't go into a gti test drive expecting to be blown away by power. but not any more powerful than a tsx? i cant swallow that one. i test drove an audi a3 with dsg and it weighs closer to the tsx than the gti does, and it was PLENTY swift. even your cl-s does not have a torque curve like that.

but as far as the ge goes, yes its no bmw, and i agree with you, people need to get over it.

Old 06-30-2009, 10:15 AM
Originally Posted by eldaino
not to thread jack, but my last vw had no issues whatsoever. (an 07 rabbit.)

only about as powerful as your tsx? hmmm...considering the gti weighs about 155 lbs less and has 40lb-ft more of torque i find that a little hard to believe...especially since the last few tests of the tsx, even in the faster manual version, put its 0-60 time at about low to mid 8 seconds (car and driver and they really ring it out.)

the slowest gti i have ever read about was a manual, and it hit the mark in 6.8 seconds. the fastest was 6.2 with dsg (again per car and driver.)

granted i never owned a cl-s, and those had plenty of power, but then again they were v-6's. if i owned one i wouldn't go into a gti test drive expecting to be blown away by power. but not any more powerful than a tsx? i cant swallow that one. i test drove an audi a3 with dsg and it weighs closer to the tsx than the gti does, and it was PLENTY swift. even your cl-s does not have a torque curve like that.

but as far as the ge goes, yes its no bmw, and i agree with you, people need to get over it.

I'm not saying all vw owners have issues but my dad had a 03 Jetti and its was a maint. nightmare. My buddy has a heavily modded 02 GTI and its on its last leg (Could be due to modding it) those experiences plus the fact consumer reports usually rate most vw's low is what I was going by. To clarify I said about as fast as my tsx (not saying my tsx was faster or was exacly as fast). My TSX is an 07 (I hate the new body style but thats my opinion) Motorweek back in 06 got 6.7sec in a 6mt 06 tsx. Most other articles I've read posed 7.2-7.8 so thats what I was comparing. Yes the GTI is probably slightly faster ~.8 sec faster 0-60 (mostly due to having more low end tq) but on the hwy they seem very comparible (maybe the tsx slightly faster who knows). I was just stating they are no race car. GTI is nice if thats what you want but I wasn't impressed is all that I was stating.
I wasn't test driving a GTI to be blown away by the power. It was the fact the dealer/salesman thought I would be is what I thought was funny. I was shopping around for a good all around car for a resonable price. The CL-S had 232tq and I had comptech headers & CAI so add more hp/tq on to the stock 260hp/232tq on it so by no means a stock gti would even come close to feeling "as fast" as a modded CL-S. I once again was just stating the GTI wasn't a race car it just wasn't as powerful as everyone thinks they are (or in this case the salesman thought it was). Yes its a V6 but a subie sti is a turboed 4 cyl (just like the gti) I think a 4cyl turboed should be compared to V6's why not? I think turboed cars actually have the advantage (weight & tq) if speed is what really matters to you.

I chose the Fit not because it was the fastest car but how it excelled in almost everything else for the price.

Last edited by Committobefit08; 06-30-2009 at 10:25 AM.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:33 AM
5 Year Member
I'm not saying all vw owners have issues but my dad had a 03 Jetti and its was a maint. nightmare. My buddy has a heavily modded 02 GTI and its on its last leg (Could be due to modding it) those experiences plus the fact consumer reports usually rate most vw's low is what I was going by. To clarify I said about as fast as my tsx (not saying my tsx was faster or was exacly as fast). My TSX is an 07 (I hate the new body style but thats my opinion) Motorweek back in 06 got 6.7sec in a 6mt 06 tsx. Most other articles I've read posed 7.2-7.8 so thats what I was comparing. Yes the GTI is probably slightly faster ~.8 sec faster 0-60 (mostly due to having more low end tq) but on the hwy they seem very comparible (maybe the tsx slightly faster who knows). I was just stating they are no race car. GTI is nice if thats what you want but I wasn't impressed is all that I was stating.
I wasn't test driving a GTI to be blown away by the power. It was the fact the dealer/salesman thought I would be is what I thought was funny. I was shopping around for a good all around car for a resonable price. The CL-S had 232tq and I had comptech headers & CAI so add more hp/tq on to the stock 260hp/232tq on it so by no means a stock gti would even come close to feeling "as fast" as a modded CL-S. I once again was just stating the GTI wasn't a race car it just wasn't as powerful as everyone thinks they are (or in this case the salesman thought it was). Yes its a V6 but a subie sti is a turboed 4 cyl (just like the gti) I think a 4cyl turboed should be compared to V6's why not? I think turboed cars actually have the advantage (weight & tq) if speed is what really matters to you.

I chose the Fit not because it was the fastest car but how it excelled in almost everything else for the price.
ah ok. i didn't realize your cl-s was modded, that makes a difference.

i dont think the salesman was wrong in his approach...i mean how was he supposed to know how modded your cl-s was? for most guys testing the gti....it would be impressive. no other 4 cylinder in that price range makes torque in THAT same way (equal amounts from 1800-5000 rpms, pretty much the opposite of honda's.)

i dont think people think the gti is some huge power monger....even the cl-s is in a different class. and the sti is a TOTALLY different car with a different purpose.
but you are right, you can get a lot out of four cylinder turbos. try driving a gti with a dsg-reflash and a gaic or apr ecu upgrade. (bumps the power up to 250 hp and nearly 300lb-ft of torque. anyone can be impressed with that.) for, that the gti is exactly what you wanted, a balanced car.

sorry about your dads woes...his and your buddies gti are fromt the generation of VW's that are what made them famous for unreliability. its not the case with the newer mkV's, but still probably not as carefree as a honda.

the ge is more of a compromise than the gti, but granted you are saving money off msrp and gas mileage. you still made a good choice. i have never had a car like a gti or a cl-s, so i totally get why you went with the fit. most of the cars i have had have been no more higher than c class cars, so a car like a tsx, gti, or sti would be on my short list (lol they actually are!) as my next car.

Old 06-30-2009, 10:42 AM
Yea I was tired of paying high maint. cost (which you tend to do with more powerful cars) and I was tired of paying for premium gas all the time. I was ok with being 2 seconds slower 0-60 if that meant I would get 10 more mpg at least and am now able to haul bigger objects with no problems. My decision is not for everyone but for me it was the right choice. Plus my wallet is a lot more full now because of it

Old 06-30-2009, 01:16 PM
5 Year Member
Yea I was tired of paying high maint. cost (which you tend to do with more powerful cars) and I was tired of paying for premium gas all the time. I was ok with being 2 seconds slower 0-60 if that meant I would get 10 more mpg at least and am now able to haul bigger objects with no problems. My decision is not for everyone but for me it was the right choice. Plus my wallet is a lot more full now because of it

yep, one of the reasons we got rid of the rabbit. ran like a charm, but basic maintenance was NOT what it is for the fit.

full wallets ftw.