2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

What do you DISLIKE about the 2-Gen Fit?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 01:43 PM
My '02 Neon had the same spot, but never rusted there in 7 years. Where the Fit WILL rust is that same places all other cars rust in this climate. The lower door edges, hood and rear hatch, where the boxed in areas gather moisture all winter, and where there is no paint. Combine thin paint (and NO paint on the insides of the fenders), with overuse of road salt, and my poor Fit will no doubt be a rolling pile of rust in five years no matter what I do. This is not a criticism of this car per se, but just the way it is in the "rust belt". It's hard to be a "car person" here.
That shelf on the rear wheels is poor planning on Honda's part. I'm going to coat it in bedliner then oil the whole car. After buying the Fit I've looking at other car's rear wheels. There are a lot that don't have anything like the Fit , including many Hondas.

I have a 1994 Honda Accord, which were probably more prone to rust then a new Fit. The Accord has no rust after 15 Southern Ontario winters, where the roads are white with road salt 5 months of the year. I have used Krown oil spray yearly on it, (and all my equipment and vehicals). It's messy and you do have to do it every year, but it does seem to work. It's rare to mile out a Honda in S.Ontario, before it rusts out.

Last edited by hoss10; 05-10-2009 at 01:45 PM.
Old 05-10-2009, 02:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dela
i thought u drove the 1.3 GE6...? 100 ps/98 hp..
I should also mentioned that I have test driven a i-vtec 1.5 at Rick@Honda shop =)

The 1.3 is good for Japanese roads imo, everyone is going around the same speed anyway =P

Old 05-10-2009, 03:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hoss10
... I have a 1994 Honda Accord, which were probably more prone to rust then a new Fit. The Accord has no rust after 15 Southern Ontario winters, where the roads are white with road salt 5 months of the year. I have used Krown oil spray yearly on it, (and all my equipment and vehicals). It's messy and you do have to do it every year, but it does seem to work. It's rare to mile out a Honda in S.Ontario, before it rusts out.
Yes I have had similar results with the yearly oilspray method. A lot of other things need to be done too but oilspray works wonders to keep the rust at bay.

Old 05-10-2009, 04:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hoss10
That shelf on the rear wheels is poor planning on Honda's part. I'm going to coat it in bedliner then oil the whole car. After buying the Fit I've looking at other car's rear wheels. There are a lot that don't have anything like the Fit , including many Hondas.

I have a 1994 Honda Accord, which were probably more prone to rust then a new Fit. The Accord has no rust after 15 Southern Ontario winters, where the roads are white with road salt 5 months of the year. I have used Krown oil spray yearly on it, (and all my equipment and vehicals). It's messy and you do have to do it every year, but it does seem to work. It's rare to mile out a Honda in S.Ontario, before it rusts out.
I'll probably do something about that spot in the wheel well before winter, although, as I said, I don't think it will prove to be the worst spot for rust.

I've never heard of Krown oil, and from the number of rusty cars around here, I'm not sure anybody else here has, either.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:16 PM
Krown is a Canadian Company and seems to be the oil spray of choice here in the rust belt. It seems to creep into all of the joints and crevices. It will cost about 100 bucks a year for a Krown place to coat a Fit and they will drill some holes, and it will drip for a few days. But where they use road salt, there really is no other choice. I like it so much that I buy it in 20 litre pails and spray my trailers and tractor.

I can't believe you guys in Upper New York don't oil spray. Really any oil will work (hell I've seen people using used engine oil!!!), but Krown does seem to have some science behind it.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:50 PM
5 Year Member
I've never heard of it. The closest thing we have is Ziebart. You take the car to Ziebart and they coat the underside of the car and all interior spaces with a black, tar-like substance to prevent rust. Dealer applied rustproofing (Auto Armor) is very popular here, too, but is (I suspect) more intended to increase dealer profits rather than prevent rust.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:08 PM
5 Year Member
I think those tar like coatings tend to crack and trap moisture in.

Imo, oil spray is better and it seeps deep into crevices but requires yearly reapplication.

I use this place: Welcome Page | Metropolitan Rust Proofing | Rust prevention treatment

Old 05-29-2009, 03:23 AM
The fact that you can't get all the doors/hatch to open when you park and turn it off. I'm constantly walking around to the back and finding the hatch locked because I forgot to hit the unlock button on the driver door as I get out. So I have press the fob twice to get everything unlocked.

Annoying....

Old 05-29-2009, 03:33 AM
Touched by his noodly appendage
Originally Posted by XD45ACP
The fact that you can't get all the doors/hatch to open when you park and turn it off. I'm constantly walking around to the back and finding the hatch locked because I forgot to hit the unlock button on the driver door as I get out. So I have press the fob twice to get everything unlocked.

Annoying....
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...rs-please.html

Old 05-29-2009, 10:22 AM
Crochity

Love my 09 FIT.

I actually like the F-windows by the mirrors, they improve visibility and eliminate potential blind spots. My friend drives an '05 Aveo and she has serious blind spot issues in that particular area. MY other friend has an '08 Fit and she wishes her windows were as large as hers, in her opinion, do not rectify the blind spot issue enough. I've driven her car and I feel the same. Her rear blind spots are also, for some reason, larger.

I would like to echo a comment on the USB interface. I have found that, although I love this feature to death and I now forget that my ipod is even in the car with me, I am having to do a lot of dialing to reach the correct artist. And if you want to go back to the artist list, you have to start over at "A." Also, when you want a different album by the same artist, you have to go back to the artist list and begin at "A," once again. This is a small nitpick--I just wish it were a little smoother or they had an A-Z selector. I have a LOT of music on my 30GB ipod.

Still, I love it.

-P

Old 05-29-2009, 11:07 AM
Touched by his noodly appendage
Yeah the iPod thing takes forever to scroll through. I hope the pioneer double din I'm getting makes it easier to sift through the music.

Other than that the only thing I don't like is the huge windshield and dashboard.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:23 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
on my 09, wat i dont like is the AT, cause it takes 99% of the fun out, but then wife drives it most and she can't drive MT so i suppose it's OK.

Old 05-30-2009, 12:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
on my 09, wat i dont like is the AT, cause it takes 99% of the fun out, but then wife drives it most and she can't drive MT so i suppose it's OK.
The things we do for women...

BTDT.

Old 05-30-2009, 04:44 PM
5 Year Member
What do I DISLIKE about the 2-Gen Fit?
It's my wife's!

Old 06-08-2009, 07:55 AM
5 Year Member
There's nothing major I dislike about the car, just some minor gripes, some which have already been discussed here, like the intrusive headrests.

One more I'll add: the map lights on the Sport. If your passenger turns one on at night, the glare from the bulb shines in the driver's eyes and partially blocks your view of the road. My Neon had the map lights built into the rear view mirror base. They illuminated the interior, but the bulb was concealed behind the mirror body=no glare!

Old 06-08-2009, 08:51 AM
I've had mine about a week...very little to dislike so far:

The interface for navigating MP3s on a USB device is really clunky. Also takes a long time to fast-forward long distances...I accidentally restarted an hour-long podcast halfway thru and I think I had to hold the button down for 5+ minutes to get back to that spot!

The armrest is too high (or maybe the shifter is too low or my arm is too short) - in my Civic (2002 coupe), with my arm on the armrest, my hand naturally falls right on the knob...in the Fit, I actually have to reach down a little bit and it's kind of uncomfortable, so I often put the armrest up when not on the highway. Is the OEM armrest lower?

That's about all I can complain about so far.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:05 PM
I only have a few dislikes (in order of importance):

1) Needs rear disk brakes on the sport model. Rear disks can't cost any more than drums, if so it would have been a very minimal increase. This (IMHO) is a glaring omission for a 2009 car... and braking performance is one area where this car really falls short.

2) The sport model should have steering wheel audio controls, standard.

3) VSA should have been standard on all models.

4) Add an extra 30 HP.

5) mirror side winkers

6) 6.5" wide wheels

Those are the only things I can think of, which would be a minimal $$ increase, that would take the car from awesome to perfect (for a mass produced car). VSA would add another $800 or so, but it's going to become standard issue anyway.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:08 PM
Originally Posted by tobey457

4) Add an extra 30 HP.
if you want an extra 30 hp, make a hybrid turbo

Old 06-15-2009, 01:33 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by qbmurderer13
Other than that the only thing I don't like is the huge windshield and dashboard.

Uhm, seriously? coming from a GD3 owner... that's the biggest downfall, not a big enough windshield, or the A pillar is just too large and makes us wish we had a bigger windshield....

I've been in many near hits with pedestrians, due to the fact that I don't see them standing at the corner when I pull up, I look left, then right, by the time I look right, they are standing in my blind spots... Argh!

Old 06-15-2009, 01:38 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
There's nothing major I dislike about the car, just some minor gripes, some which have already been discussed here, like the intrusive headrests.

Intrusive headrests??? only the GD3 has this problem, are you sure you're talking about the GE8?

Quick Reply: What do you DISLIKE about the 2-Gen Fit?