2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

What do you DISLIKE about the 2-Gen Fit?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 10:52 PM
Love my new fit but ....

I just sized down from my Odyssey so it's taking a little getting used to -
- no locking gas cap
- no electric driver seat adjustment
- black interior - why was that the only choice for the Sport? It shows ALL dust and dog hair! I won't be able to take my pooch with me as often as it takes 10 mins of de-furring after every ride...
- no lighted vanity mirror
- not being able to turn off interior hatch light when back door needs to be open for long periods
- rearview mirror is too low on windshield - I find myself having to duck down to look under it to see what's ahead sometimes. I'm average height and never had this issue before in any car.
- no center arm rest - but I'm going to order one soon!
- it won't work with my Ipod shuffle! This was a disappointment. I don't need a bigger Ipod but if I want to use it in the car, I'll have to get a nano or better .

I love everything else, though - the ride, the look, the size, the economy, the Honda reliability, etc.... It's a really fun car.

Old 09-29-2008, 10:03 AM
'09 FIT in Canada

up in northern ontario,i was hoping for stability control option for winter driving (we have long,cold& snowy winters up here),but as i understand, it isn't even an option on canadian fits,dah what was honda thinking? i guess honda thinks we're just a bunch of country bumkins. the matrix/vibe is starting to look better to me....good-bye honda....hello TOYOTA.

Old 09-29-2008, 10:19 AM
Originally Posted by Fred Moller
up in northern ontario,i was hoping for stability control option for winter driving (we have long,cold& snowy winters up here),but as i understand, it isn't even an option on canadian fits,dah what was honda thinking? i guess honda thinks we're just a bunch of country bumkins. the matrix/vibe is starting to look better to me....good-bye honda....hello TOYOTA.
Hello fellow Northerner (I'm in Sudbury)! Just get yourself a good set of winter tires and you're set. My last car (Mazda3) didn't have stability control either but I never slid even once over 4 tough winters, using a dedicated set of winter tires. I just bought the Nokian Hakkaleppitta R tires and steel wheels through Kal Tire. I have zero concerns with winter handling.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:21 PM

Wow, I didn't know that the Fit police would catch me. This photo of the Fit with the bike loaded in Tall mode is from the 08 catalogue. Again, it must be a kids' bike. If you go to the 09 Honda Fit website (http://automobiles.honda.com/fit/interior-photos.aspx), it says "Fold up the rear seats. With more than four feet of space from floor to ceiling, bikes are welcome." In any case, an adult size bike doesn't fit in Tall mode, and my road bike (54cm) and mountain bike (15.5") don't fit standing up in Cargo Mode either. Not unless I crank my seatpost all the way to the bottom. I'm 5'7", so my bikes are generally considered small/medium in size.

Old 10-01-2008, 10:58 PM
- head rest makes me slouch
- still getting used to the A-pillar - i'm sitting so high that looking through the small window is pointless
- can't turn off AC when in defrost mode. Sometimes i like air blowing through vents without AC on
- temperature display would be nice

other than that, the car has been pretty good. I love that little rectangular pocket on each side of the parking brake. My phone fits perfectly in there.

Old 10-02-2008, 12:10 AM
Originally Posted by farcinue

Wow, I didn't know that the Fit police would catch me. This photo of the Fit with the bike loaded in Tall mode is from the 08 catalogue. Again, it must be a kids' bike. If you go to the 09 Honda Fit website (http://automobiles.honda.com/fit/interior-photos.aspx), it says "Fold up the rear seats. With more than four feet of space from floor to ceiling, bikes are welcome." In any case, an adult size bike doesn't fit in Tall mode, and my road bike (54cm) and mountain bike (15.5") don't fit standing up in Cargo Mode either. Not unless I crank my seatpost all the way to the bottom. I'm 5'7", so my bikes are generally considered small/medium in size.
My bike fits nicely.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/32140-2009-fit-mountain-bike-fits-tall-mode.html

Last edited by FiveFreshFish; 10-02-2008 at 12:18 AM.
Old 10-02-2008, 12:48 AM
5 Year Member
I've owned mine for 3 weeks now.

The stock armrest is useless. too low to do any good. I'm hoping for an aftermarket rest with storage that wilee resolve this isue.

And those darn headrests! If you bump them getting in the car they creep up and become annoying! This happens often to me! I've GOt to come up with a way to lock them down.

Old 10-07-2008, 06:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Hipshot
I've owned mine for 3 weeks now.

The stock armrest is useless. Too low to do any good. I'm hopeing for an aftermarket rest with storage that will resolve this issue.

And those darn headrests! If you bump them getting in the car they creep up and become annoying! This happens often to me! I've GOT to come up with a way to lock them down.
Update!!! Great news! I came up with an unobtrusive way to lock down that headrest issue!

Remove the headrest, cut a rubberband open, stick the end of the rubber band in the hole and replace the headrest! Then trim to suit.

The rubber will securely hold the headrest in your position without haveing to do anything permanent to your seat!

sometimes it's the simplest things..

Old 10-07-2008, 06:58 PM
Originally Posted by FaaroutVA
- black interior - why was that the only choice for the Sport? It shows ALL dust and dog hair! I won't be able to take my pooch with me as often as it takes 10 mins of de-furring after every ride...
The dark grey interior isn't much better. It shows orange cat hairs all to easily, and this is just transferred from clothing.

Old 10-10-2008, 06:46 PM
Retired Moderator
BUMP for the new guys....

Old 10-10-2008, 09:18 PM
h2o
Not complaints, just some suggestions for Honda to improve on. (Not expecting much from an econ car anyway. )

1. Spare cover can be a little bit stronger than a piece of cardboard
2. Better offset for aftermarket wheels
3. Carpets

I like this car for what it is, but still not very used to not able to see hood/front of the car when parking.

Old 10-10-2008, 10:02 PM
5 Year Member
It's bouncy on the highway.

Old 10-10-2008, 10:12 PM
Originally Posted by FaaroutVA
- it won't work with my Ipod shuffle! This was a disappointment. I don't need a bigger Ipod but if I want to use it in the car, I'll have to get a nano or better .
I went and bought a $12 4GB mini flash drive thing. I wanted something I could leave in the car 24/7 and not worry about it getting stolen and it works great.

I do agree about the black fabric, though! My '03 Accord had grey fabric and white hair didn't show up nearly as much

Old 03-24-2009, 05:20 AM
5 Year Member
the head unit sucks compared to the 07s usb and ipod.. its okay but the deck itself sucks.. no EQ like the 07 which i loved to set mine on "beats" as o recall

i think the cloth on the ge sport is cheaper than the cloth used in the gd.. + door trim gets wet and i think later will rip from water damage, unlike the gd.. i like those lil holes looks really cool to me rather than some funky purple pattern.

steering wheel doesnt have the same grooves as the gd, i dont know if anyone noticed that.

rear wiper should be the other way around.. i know car is made in japan.. but we drive on the left side the wiper should be redesigned for us.. rather than made for right side.. thats also the case for the rear seats smaller side should be behind the driver so u can have more room for whatever the need on the passenger side.
does anyone think the new locks are retarded? its like opposite from anything evermade from that design.
also its missing the dome light under the climate controls which the GD had.. i like that lil dim light.

all and all those things kinda tick me off.. but i can say the car does drive a lot better then the GD.. and of course theres a lot of good things that are better then the old gen.
one thing i liked the most is that the GE was cheaper by 4000$ than the GD i bought 2 years ago from honda.. probably because of the bad economy.

Last edited by tdubl; 03-24-2009 at 05:26 AM.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:24 AM
5 Year Member
Maybe this was mentioned before, but I didn't feel like scouring the last 6 pages. The GD has more rear leg room than the GE. For the GE being larger, I'd expect it to be the other way around.

Old 03-24-2009, 06:30 AM
stock stereo

Old 03-24-2009, 06:42 AM
Originally Posted by cyergey
Maybe this was mentioned before, but I didn't feel like scouring the last 6 pages. The GD has more rear leg room than the GE. For the GE being larger, I'd expect it to be the other way around.
I beg to differ about the rear leg room. I own both and I have more considerable space in the GE than in GD unless your front passengers are more than 6'4 tall at which there is practically NO ROOM on the GD other than children sized frame rear passengers. I have rear leg room problem in my GD3 with average front passengers sitting in front of me and I'm only 5'8. Go figure.

Aside from that, things I don't like about GE8:
1. Front dash quality. I don't know why Honda was being so cheap with material on a car that they know is going to be a hit everywhere then replaced an already good (not decent) quality dash with some cheap, easily scratched leather wannabe. That, plus a rattle underneath the dash to the left and right of the steering column when cold which tend to go away once the car warms up
2. Car's handling. I know it is not a rocket science that this is a commuter car but my commuter car 2001 Civic LX which comes with Honda 21st century 1st generation Mcpherson struts suspension and taller, lower rated tires have better cornering grip than my 09 TWB GE8 Sport tuned suspension my ***!
3. Give me more torque! (and maybe a bit more power). I definitely feel that the GE8 can use a bit more power+torque up to 10hp/10-20lb-ft torque. I travelled 100 miles to work each way through a mountaineous area where the car kept asking for a higher gear even when the car is filled with...the driver. I definitely felt the engine was overtasking at times. Maybe it was my automatic tranny?
4. Extra gear for fuel efficiency. 5 gears on flat land; no problem. 5 gear elsewhere: problem.
5. Front windsheild material. Somehow my civic's front windsheild was more durable than it younger sibling. Did I mention Honda was being cheap?

Old 03-24-2009, 09:13 AM
Wow the USDM Fit doesn't get rear disc brakes?

Heck even the lowest end 1.3l base model GE has rear disc brakes here in the Philippines and were a 3rd world country, usually they take off these options to make 'em more affordable!

Old 03-25-2009, 10:04 AM
Bluetooth is my only gripe.

Old 03-25-2009, 11:50 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
wife likes the GE8 so not sure if there's anything to complain about.

i suppose i can get her a nice portable nav or something since
mine doesnt have nav.

Quick Reply: What do you DISLIKE about the 2-Gen Fit?