2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

place to buy aftermarket headunit

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 06:52 PM
place to buy aftermarket headunit

hi all, anyone know where i can get a good deal for an aftermarket headunit with navi?

Old 09-07-2008, 07:46 PM
Old 09-07-2008, 08:19 PM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cavie187

lol
i was thinking of the same site.

Old 09-07-2008, 08:24 PM
5 Year Member
I can already hear the next two questions. Which one should I buy and how do you install it?

Old 09-07-2008, 08:36 PM
not really, i have an 09' and i haven't found out instructions for installing a new head unit. most of the sites have instructions for an 08' but not the new 09'. i also don't want a double din. any ideas?

Old 09-07-2008, 11:53 PM
obviously you will need a dash kit without a double din. As for the instructions, 99% of all dashes come apart the same basic way. There will be a ton of clips and maybe a few screws. There will be how to's listed on here in the coming weeks i'm sure. OR you could be the one to experiment and document the process with pictures and make the how to yourself.

Not sure if they make a dash kit yet or not, but it is probably will be available soon if not already.

Old 09-08-2008, 01:01 AM
5 Year Member
It'll probably be a few months for a dash kit. Scosche and Metra didn't ship their kit for the previous Gen until April/May 07. Seeing the dash in that thing, I'm wondering if it will be doable or not unless someone orders the car with a Nav and then they probably aren't going to replace the factory Nav.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:19 AM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by radareclipse
It'll probably be a few months for a dash kit. Scosche and Metra didn't ship their kit for the previous Gen until April/May 07. Seeing the dash in that thing, I'm wondering if it will be doable or not unless someone orders the car with a Nav and then they probably aren't going to replace the factory Nav.

you can also go to the dealer and get the factory
double din kit from the navi car.
use that if your going double din.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:30 AM
College Hills Honda sells tons of '09 Fit accessories. One of them is the ambient light kit for the footwells. The pdf file of instructions for this install shows step by step how to take the dash off - or at least where all the clips are.

Old 09-08-2008, 01:53 PM
Originally Posted by wahoojohn
College Hills Honda sells tons of '09 Fit accessories. One of them is the ambient light kit for the footwells. The pdf file of instructions for this install shows step by step how to take the dash off - or at least where all the clips are.
That's helpful. +1

Old 09-08-2008, 02:15 PM
Crutchfield doesn't have the best prices, but their support info is second to none. It may be a few weeks/months, but they'll have kits and step-by-step install instructions with diagrams which come with a head unit or speaker purchase. Their tech folks usually know all the harness color coding stuff, too.

Back when Ford went with its oval theme for the Taurus in the mid-90's, they put the HVAC controls and the radio controls in the same oval-shaped dash panel. I didn't take long before Crutchfield had a solution with the A/C controls on an oval panel but with a single DIN slot for aftermarket audio. The non-nav Fit should be simple in comparison.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:02 PM
5 Year Member
Aren't the h/ac controls vastly different between the Nav and non-Nav dash's?
i don't have pics in front of me of the car. It might make changing one version over to the other near impossible.

Old 09-09-2008, 11:12 PM
Originally Posted by ye fit
hi all, anyone know where i can get a good deal for an aftermarket headunit with navi?
I just ordered an awesome Kenwood excelon unit w/ cd/mp3, 2x aux units & rca outs through crutchfield. Normally I find them too be too expensive, however the unit comes with free ship, free wire harness, and free wire harness for the antenna (why Honda did this I will never know!) I also got the adapter kit which includes the AC bezel. In total less than $200. Compared to some of the other forums I have read about DIY add ons, this seems to be the easiest and cheapest way to get everything you want from your Fit without too much hassle, especially on a base model! Plug and play! Good luck. I will post a forum and put DIY pics and instructions as soon as I get my order in!

Old 09-09-2008, 11:14 PM
5 Year Member
Onlinecarstereo.Com - Wholesale Car Audio/Stereo Deals At Bargain Prices
also.
crutch is always nice being they give you everything/perry close to all you need for the install and directions but most of their products are more $.

Old 09-09-2008, 11:19 PM
Originally Posted by ricerchick
I just ordered an awesome Kenwood excelon unit w/ cd/mp3, 2x aux units & rca outs through crutchfield. Normally I find them too be too expensive, however the unit comes with free ship, free wire harness, and free wire harness for the antenna (why Honda did this I will never know!) I also got the adapter kit which includes the AC bezel. In total less than $200. Compared to some of the other forums I have read about DIY add ons, this seems to be the easiest and cheapest way to get everything you want from your Fit without too much hassle, especially on a base model! Plug and play! Good luck. I will post a forum and put DIY pics and instructions as soon as I get my order in!
Huh?

Is there a dash kit out for the '09 fit besides ordering the factory NAV dash piece?

Old 09-09-2008, 11:26 PM
yes, I will send u the crutchfield link and you can get it from there, although I am sure other companies make it too. I have the stock set up so this kit replaces the whole set up and turns the area into either a single or dual din radio slot depending on what you want. I chose single and the rest of the void is filled with a little compartment for cd's or an mp3 player perhaps.... here is the crutchfeild part # 120997872Honda Fit Kit

Old 09-09-2008, 11:33 PM
5 Year Member
Sorry to bust your load, but that is NOT FOR A 2009.
It's for 2007-2008 that has been available since last April/May.
You'll be waiting for the '09's as I stated before.

Honda Fit In-dash Receiver Kit 2007-up; chassis sizes DD, E at Crutchfield.com

Old 09-09-2008, 11:45 PM
5 Year Member
2009 Honda Fit - Interior Overview - Official Honda Web site
http://automobiles.honda.com/images/...e-brochure.pdf

I can't find a good shot of the dash without Nav to reference. There is a CD slot and a large knob in place below that.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:26 AM
5 Year Member
If Metra or Scosche doesn't make it yet, you can ebay all you want. It will take time for these kit companies to make the kit. They have to acquire the car first and it just started shipping. With the controls in the middle of the dash, it is going to be really challenging.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:41 AM
HVAC controls appear to be exactly the same. Should be easy for a company to make the replacement center panel. The only non-radio/nav item that might have to be accommodated is the hazard light switch which is also in that panel at the top left. The new panel would either need to allow for swapping out the original switch or include another switch.

Quick Reply: place to buy aftermarket headunit