2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

XM external radio install question

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 12:15 AM
XM external radio install question

All,

First post, enjoying the forum so far...

Just ordered a 2009 Black Sport MT Navi, paid MSRP, happy with the deal, won't see it for a while, so in the mean time a question...

Since they haven't included XM in the 2009, I'm scheming for clean ways to install an external XM radio. I'm trying to avoid plugging in the radio to the input port if possible, and using the power port, ugly.

Any creative ideas would be appreciated.

Roland

Old 01-01-2009, 11:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Roland
All,

Just ordered a 2009 Black Sport MT Navi, paid MSRP, happy with the deal, won't see it for a while, so in the mean time a question...

Since they haven't included XM in the 2009, I'm scheming for clean ways to install an external XM radio. I'm trying to avoid plugging in the radio to the input port if possible, and using the power port, ugly.

Roland
I know this is old but...

I was considering opening the stock radio and hard-wiring my audio cable to aux port using a DPDT relay. It would have been pretty sweet, but I don't think my wife would tolerate me playing in the driveway any longer. So, I just plugged my cable into the regular AUX port. Anyone else do it this way?

Old 01-01-2009, 11:27 PM
All,

Roland

ill be back in the same state as my fit in about a day ill post pictures of my XM in stall power is hardwired to the car so when i start it up the XM turns on i have it go through the AUX channel (sounds way better) but like i said give me a day

Old 01-02-2009, 12:42 AM
5 Year Member
Roland, I'm looking forward to the pics.

Here's mine:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...tml#post533190

Old 01-04-2009, 01:58 AM

i can get better pictures tomorrow if you really want to see more

Old 01-04-2009, 08:48 AM
yeah, would like to see your setup, thanks

Old 01-04-2009, 10:07 AM
yeah, would like to see your setup, thanks

the lowdown is yes there is now holes in the plastic but now i have XM cant see wires going everywhere and the receiver is under the carpet to the back out the rubber wire protector just sticking on the roof i didnt take a picture of that cause we all know they look like hope this helps and thats a custom bracket with an off set (to me)so i can see it better and as u can see i dont use the 12V thingy its wired in to the ignition so it turns on when i start the FIT

Last edited by Blackout; 01-04-2009 at 10:13 AM. Reason: forgot some pictures
Old 01-04-2009, 10:47 AM
5 Year Member
Hey Blackout,

A couple of questions:

1. You mentioned that you hard-wired your radio so that it comes on when you turn on the car. In my 2009 Fit Sport, the circuit for the power outlet is already set so that it is only on when the car is started. Was this not the case in the generation 1 models?

2. I see that many guys mount their radios down by the power outlet like you did. I'm 6'4" and when I look in this area while I'm sitting in the driver's seat, all I see is my own knee. Do you have any issues seeing the display or using it's controls where it's mounted?

Old 01-04-2009, 10:55 AM
Originally Posted by notorious.dds
Hey Blackout,

A couple of questions:

1. You mentioned that you hard-wired your radio so that it comes on when you turn on the car. In my 2009 Fit Sport, the circuit for the power outlet is already set so that it is only on when the car is started. Was this not the case in the generation 1 models?

2. I see that many guys mount their radios down by the power outlet like you did. I'm 6'4" and when I look in this area while I'm sitting in the driver's seat, all I see is my own knee. Do you have any issues seeing the display or using it's controls where it's mounted?

i am also 6'4" and i dont find my self switching the channel that much i also have my seat more foword than what most guys our hight would have it and with the first Q: WHAT!? i also have a 09 its the only fit i have ever had so im unable to say yes or no to that one all it know is my radar also turns on when the Fit turns on on buttons to press

Old 01-04-2009, 11:58 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Blackout
with the first Q: WHAT!? i also have a 09 its the only fit i have ever had so im unable to say yes or no to that one all it know is my radar also turns on when the Fit turns on on buttons to press
No worries. My question was in response to your earlier post:
"... my XM in stall power is hardwired to the car so when i start it up the XM turns on..."
Since, the power outlet goes off with the car, I don't believe you could prevent your radio from turning off with the car unless you hard-wired it to do so.

However, I'M SHOCKED that you move the seat up! At 6'4", I wish I could put it back another 5 inches. Anyway, good for you that you find room to spare. I've never driven a car where I didn't put the seat all the way back, much less in a subcompact like the Fit.