2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

I test drove the 2009 Honda Fit Sport today!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 02:39 AM
I test drove the 2009 Honda Fit Sport today!

I have been waiting since July for my 2009 MR Honda Fit Sport to come into my local dealership (I put $500 down on pre-order). So, the Sales Manager calls me this morning and says "Your Fit is in." I rushed over and when I got there, he said, more or less, "Oops, this isn't actually YOUR Fit. It's a promotional one sent to have on the lot to promote Fit sales." Plus it had the Navi package, which I did not order, so he says I could have it for an extra $2,000 (total $19,300, instead of $17,400 w/o Navi). I went ahead and took it for a test drive -- Oh my gosh, pure heaven! But, when I got back to the dealership, I pressed the Sales Manager to come clean on when MY Fit was due to arrive. He said probably middle to end of September, which is what I had been told originally. So, I told him I would wait for mine to come in. He couldn't believe I was walking away from the fully loaded Fit! It wasn't easy, but a couple of weeks here or there won't make much difference in the long run.

Old 08-29-2008, 03:41 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
sounds like they tried to bait you into buying this one. sneaky... (thumbs down)

Old 08-29-2008, 08:34 AM
Smart move in waiting. Mostly since im not a fan of spending that much to get a Navi.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:14 AM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by prelude_guy97
Smart move in waiting. Mostly since im not a fan of spending that much to get a Navi.

Ditto my thought exactly

Old 08-29-2008, 12:04 PM
5 Year Member
i agree with the move on your part... but if i were to get an 09 i would probably get the navi package cuz of the VSA... i dont rly want the navi... way over priced.... but the VSA would be nice to have, but by the time i get a new Fit, mayb i can just get a sport wit VSA lol

Old 08-29-2008, 08:42 PM
Good job resisting the salesman move they pulled. Patience is a virtue.

Old 08-30-2008, 05:46 AM
I live in Bishop, California, which is a very small town (population around 3,500) and, yes, believe it or not, we do have a Honda/Toyota dealership here! Anyway, I really did want to be the first one in town with the MR Fit Sport (AT). Now it looks like someone will get the fully loaded one that showed up before mine did! I'm keeping an eye on the dealership lot and it is still sitting there .... so tempting, but, no, I'm gonna stick to my guns! ;o)

Old 08-30-2008, 05:53 AM
5 Year Member
LOL, I'll prolly fall for the trap IF I never have own a Fit before and its always hard to resist the temptation of being the FIRST to have something new. But then again, 2K for a factory Navi is definately out of the question, regardless of VSA or not.

Old 08-30-2008, 11:10 AM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Good for you! That is the old bait and switch where they were trying to get you to spend more for just a little bling and immediate satisfaction! You did the right thing and remember good things come to those who wait! Several of us on this forum had to wait months for our Fits but believe me it was worth the wait

Cat

Old 08-30-2008, 12:11 PM
You did the right thing, but I do have to say this: I don't think the NAVI is overpriced. It may not be the best looking one on the market, but head over to the ICE section and see how much those guys are dropping on units that don't have the number of POIs, inferior if any voice commands, 7-inch touch screen, steering wheel controls. The only complaint I have with this navi is the lack of BT, which is kind of a standard on aftermarket Double Din head units now.

Old 08-30-2008, 01:49 PM
5 Year Member
I was told that NAVI models won't appear for a while. Guess the salesperson that told me that was misinformed.

While I don't care or need VSA or NAVI, I do miss the steering wheel controls for the radio. Especially since it's not exactly an easy reach to the volume knob or the rest of the radio buttons on the dash.

When I took delivery of mine I instinctively searched for those radio controls on the steering wheel and found an empty trench, lol. NOoooo!!! I didn't know the non-NAVI models didn't come with this!

Old 09-02-2008, 11:55 PM
Originally Posted by waraeor
I was told that NAVI models won't appear for a while. Guess the salesperson that told me that was misinformed.

While I don't care or need VSA or NAVI, I do miss the steering wheel controls for the radio. Especially since it's not exactly an easy reach to the volume knob or the rest of the radio buttons on the dash.

When I took delivery of mine I instinctively searched for those radio controls on the steering wheel and found an empty trench, lol. NOoooo!!! I didn't know the non-NAVI models didn't come with this!
I'm still waiting for my Fit, which is due to arrive by October. I ordered a non-navi unit, as I couldn't bring myself to shell out nearly $2k just to get VSA and steering wheel controls -- not sure why Honda didn't include steering wheel controls on all sport models, as well as make VSA a stand-alone option.

Following is an excerpt fro USA Today regarding factory installed navigation units:

"Those expensive in-car navigation systems actually lower resale value, according to Automotive Lease Guide. American Honda Finance also shows that navigation-equipped used models are worth 1% less than non-navigation-equipped models, even though the option is roughly $2,000 when added to a new-car price.

The reason? Technology. Or, more importantly, how rapidly technology advances. The proof is in the booming portable navigation business: Companies like Garmin are seeing huge profits with their latest miniature units, which come equipped with Bluetooth, MP3 capabilities and more for under $1,000. Some models even cost less than $200, and they can be easily updated. Think of how outdated built-in car phones were not too long ago. That same stigma could be attached to current in-car navigation systems."

Old 09-03-2008, 12:46 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Silly Monkey
I'm still waiting for my Fit, which is due to arrive by October. I ordered a non-navi unit, as I couldn't bring myself to shell out nearly $2k just to get VSA and steering wheel controls -- not sure why Honda didn't include steering wheel controls on all sport models, as well as make VSA a stand-alone option.

Following is an excerpt fro USA Today regarding factory installed navigation units:

"Those expensive in-car navigation systems actually lower resale value, according to Automotive Lease Guide. American Honda Finance also shows that navigation-equipped used models are worth 1% less than non-navigation-equipped models, even though the option is roughly $2,000 when added to a new-car price.

The reason? Technology. Or, more importantly, how rapidly technology advances. The proof is in the booming portable navigation business: Companies like Garmin are seeing huge profits with their latest miniature units, which come equipped with Bluetooth, MP3 capabilities and more for under $1,000. Some models even cost less than $200, and they can be easily updated. Think of how outdated built-in car phones were not too long ago. That same stigma could be attached to current in-car navigation systems."

Very,very interesting. I didn't know that. Makes me feel even better that I made the right choice.

Old 09-03-2008, 03:27 AM
navi reducing resale? check the nada of a 2006 accord with navi vs. without

A 2004 honda accord 4door ex with navi blue books $1,150 higher than a 2004 honda accord 4door ex without navi. If you check the 2006's they blue book $1575 higher. NADA is ussually right on. The only thing I can think is that rental companies don't rent hondas. Based on this I went ahead and got the navi figuring if i sell I'll get my money back ,espesially with the vsa and the steering wheel controls. (Plus the radio is butt ugly)

Last edited by jerrrrry; 09-03-2008 at 03:43 AM.
Old 09-03-2008, 03:42 AM
It seems as if more and more, the factory nav systems are behind the times with regard to features and current trends. It looks like a money-grab, and that's kinda sad.. while I can appreciate the desire to earn more profit for higher-end equipment sales, I also think that keeping up with the aftermarket competition is the only way to do that. After all, a $2K upgrade can get you a whole heck of a lot more than VSA and a navi system that is several years old now.

Silly car manufacturers.. they really should just stick to what they do best (making cars) and leaving the cool electronics systems to the experts.

Old 09-03-2008, 04:36 AM
5 Year Member
I had Navi in my 07. Pioneer Avic-D3 which i believe to be superior to the Honda one anyway. And i'm fixing to put another one in probably AVIC-Z3 which has Harddrive voice command and other neat features. So i don't think factory navi is worth it. Not to mention i only paid 13.4 for my 07 base

Old 09-03-2008, 06:38 AM
5 Year Member
I'm getting the navi, but I'm getting it for me, not the next buyer. I plan on keeping this car for at least 10 years, so by then it won't change the resale value much anyway, and I don't care, since I'll probably get my money's worth out of it.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:46 AM
Originally Posted by SheepNutz
I'm getting the navi, but I'm getting it for me, not the next buyer. I plan on keeping this car for at least 10 years, so by then it won't change the resale value much anyway, and I don't care, since I'll probably get my money's worth out of it.
Your thinking and logic are on track. People should get the navi, not for resale or the next owner, but rather if they're going to use and enjoy it; and, secondarily, if they want VSA and steering wheel radio controls (both of which can't be had in the aftermarket). At the end of the day, I wish Honda would include radio controls in all sport models, and make VSA a safety option on all models, including the base.

Old 09-03-2008, 09:10 AM
Originally Posted by jerrrrry
A 2004 honda accord 4door ex with navi blue books $1,150 higher than a 2004 honda accord 4door ex without navi. If you check the 2006's they blue book $1575 higher. NADA is ussually right on. The only thing I can think is that rental companies don't rent hondas. Based on this I went ahead and got the navi figuring if i sell I'll get my money back ,espesially with the vsa and the steering wheel controls. (Plus the radio is butt ugly)
I didn't write the USA Today article, however, Automotive Lease Guide is the industry bible in terms of setting residuals -- I'm guessing the article refers to values at lease end and not at retail.

Out of curiosity, I checked out the value of a 2004 Honda Accord EX-V6 with and without navigation on both NADA and KBB. I utilized the following assumptions: 1) excellent condition; 2) 60k miles on the odometer; and 3) my zip code, which is 48067. The results were wildly different in terms of trade-in and retail, both with and without navi.
  • NADA Trade: $14,700 w/o navi; $$15,300 w/navi
  • NADA Retail: $17,200 w/o navi; $17,850 w/navi
  • KBB Trade: $12,650 w/o navi; $13,025 w/navi
  • KBB Retail: $14,705 w/o navi; $15,140 w/ navi
Ignoring a $2k+ difference between NADA and KBB, which I can't explain, it's clear that the navi unit brings anywhere between $375 and $600 more at disposition, depending on dealer trade or retail (this range is a function of whose values, NADA or KBB you deem to be more accurate). I will say this, I highly doubt, especially given the current economic environment, that a 2004 Accord EX-V6 w/navi would bring $17,850.

In the end, which I've already stated, factory navi should be opted for if you can't live with an aftermarket unit, and you really want VSA and radio controls.

Old 09-03-2008, 09:14 AM
5 Year Member
there are some cars that u just cant' change much on. Older accords for instance. OR say a BMW. On those sure buy the nicest stuff. Cuz u CAN"T CHANGE IT. Within reason anyway. Without spending ungodly amounts of money

Quick Reply: I test drove the 2009 Honda Fit Sport today!