2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Issues with the NAV

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 06:07 PM
5 Year Member
is VSA really that necessary?

I have been looking into getting the fit and have decided on getting the sport manual model, but i dont exactly want the OEM navi unit. I have a pioneer avic z1 in my scion tc and it is WAY better than the oem navi in my dad's 2004 acura tl. So if i had it my way, id get the aftermarket navi and lose the VSA. unless the VSA is really that important for Socal peeps

Old 08-28-2008, 06:42 PM
5 Year Member
Stability control is important enough that it will be mandatory equipment for all cars in the states by Sep 2011 (model year 2012).

Drivers of all skill levels can benefit from stability control. Regardless of road conditions, stability control can save your butt. It is obviously going to prevent more crashes for SUVS during inclement weather, but it is still effective for all vehicles.

I have a feeling there a quite a few people out there who want VSA but don't want NAV. Hopefully Honda will correct this for model year 2010.

Last edited by corey415; 08-28-2008 at 08:55 PM.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Surviver of the Fittest
I read from somewhere that Honda Navi do not have text-to-speech (pronouncing street names). Anyone used it can confirm that?
06 Civic Navi does not have text-to-speech. Maybe they've improved it?

Old 08-28-2008, 07:13 PM
I think Honda will likely put VSA in sports Fit next year. By government mandate manufacturers must put VSA on 75% of their cars next year (2010 model year), and 95% in all 2011 model year cars. For 2009 model year cars the requirement is only 50%. Right now all Hondas Accords and up, plus Civic hybrids, EX-L and Si, and Fit navi have it. Next year perhaps all EX Civic, and Fit Sport will likely get the VSA, or perhaps all Civic LX and above will get it and none of the regular Fit just like 09's. Who knows. If I can somehow wait til next fall to buy a Fit then I will. Meanwhile I am living on borrowed car and it's really not a good feeling. i can't wait to buy a Fit.

Old 08-28-2008, 09:27 PM
5 Year Member
I have a feeling there a quite a few people out there who want VSA but don't want NAV.

I'm one of those. I don't need or want navi but would love to have the VSA.

Last edited by payfitter; 08-28-2008 at 09:29 PM.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:56 PM
5 Year Member
Question

Originally Posted by corey415
Stability control is important enough that it will be mandatory equipment for all cars in the states by Sep 2011 (model year 2012).

Drivers of all skill levels can benefit from stability control. Regardless of road conditions, stability control can save your butt. It is obviously going to prevent more crashes for SUVS during inclement weather, but it is still effective for all vehicles.

I have a feeling there a quite a few people out there who want VSA but don't want NAV. Hopefully Honda will correct this for model year 2010.
Do you or anyone else know if the VSA or something like it can be added later??

Old 08-28-2008, 10:17 PM
I think it would most likely be an $$$$ retro-Fit at best, if at all. I certainly won't be an after sales accessory.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:40 PM
5 Year Member
I had thought about getting the nav, but decided I will be better off putting in a car pc with Streets & Trips. Not only will that give me nav, but also movies, internet, and gigs upon gigs of music... not to mention It will all be cheaper than the nav.

Old 08-29-2008, 12:36 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by payfitter
Haven't heard of anyone doing this. It would be much cheaper to just pay for the navi.

Old 08-29-2008, 01:44 AM
Originally Posted by payfitter
From Wikipedia:

"ESC [VSA] is not generally available for aftermarket installation. The only way consumers can get ESC is to buy a vehicle equipped by the manufacturer with standard or optional ESC."

I chose to go with the Nav/VSA option because of the potential savings on insurance and also because I'll be attending a school up north and don't have much experience in icy or snowy driving conditions. I would've bought it as a stand alone option if they had offered though, as I would rather have a 3rd party GPS.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Surviver of the Fittest

Question 1: assuming money is not an issue, is it possible to get a Fit w/ Nav but later replace it w/ either an aftermarket Kenwood or another stock Honda unit that includes bluetooth (say the one that's used in 09 Civic)?

Question 2: Garmin's new Nuvi 880 has a great speech recognition capabilities. Will this function be used in any future Kenwood units?

Question 3: are built-in GPS system like the Fit w/ Nav easy to steal?
Thanks in advance!

Answer 1: Then why would you go for a stock and then change to an aftermarket to begin with? Thats also like trying to have the deck on a civic o7 to a fit 07... its NOT gonna work. Also, I would think that to change to an AFTERMARKET later on, you need to get a harness or some sort because the original console will NOT hold the aftermarket

Answer 2: From my understanding, different brand have different speech recognition system - because its developed by different company. I have an accent when I speak English (LA) and my pioneer works OK (worr)

Answer 3: The stock Navi should be pretty secure. Heck, try to take out the stock GD3 deck without breaking it (Thats if you know how to open it). Chances are, car thief may jsut steal whatever in ur glovebox than actually taking out ur navi.

I've just spoken with Rick at Richmond Honda, and I picked up a list of features offered on the 09 Fit.... apparently, I DO NOT SEE NAVI as an Option on ANY MODEL, regardless of DX, LX, or SPORT . Is this the difference between US Model and CAN Model?!

Last edited by Guinness; 08-30-2008 at 05:10 AM.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:06 PM
Originally Posted by Guinness
I've just spoken with Rick at Richmond Honda, and I picked up a list of features offered on the 09 Fit.... apparently, I DO NOT SEE NAVI as an Option on ANY MODEL, regardless of DX, LX, or SPORT . Is this the difference between US Model and CAN Model?!
Correct, no Nav for Canada.

Old 08-30-2008, 05:19 AM
5 Year Member
Been reading a lot about this ESC/VSA thing. Yes, I think its good to have but for some reason, I just see it as another "marketing feature" like power windows, power steering, backup sensor / camera etc. Look, just because a car have no VSA means its gonna blow, and having VSA doesnt mean we can drive recklessly.

If VSA lowers insurance the way like car alarms do - GREAT. If not, then I will see it just as another "option".

A lot of my friends was saying a the fit car is not good for driving in rain or snow condition compare to AWD with ESC - Heck, I'll say if you learn to drive according to different driving conditons and SLOW DOWN then you dun need anything at all~

Old 08-30-2008, 05:33 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ProMed
LOL, Aftermarket Navi FTW

Old 08-30-2008, 06:11 AM
Originally Posted by Guinness
Been reading a lot about this ESC/VSA thing. Yes, I think its good to have but for some reason, I just see it as another "marketing feature" like power windows, power steering, backup sensor / camera etc. Look, just because a car have no VSA means its gonna blow, and having VSA doesnt mean we can drive recklessly.

If VSA lowers insurance the way like car alarms do - GREAT. If not, then I will see it just as another "option".

A lot of my friends was saying a the fit car is not good for driving in rain or snow condition compare to AWD with ESC - Heck, I'll say if you learn to drive according to different driving conditons and SLOW DOWN then you dun need anything at all~
From Wikipedia:

Numerous studies around the world confirm that ESC is highly effective in helping the driver maintain control of the car and saving lives and reducing the severity of crashes.[8] In the fall of 2004 in the U.S., the National Highway and Traffic Safety Administration confirmed the international studies, releasing results of a field study in the U.S. of ESC effectiveness. NHTSA concluded that ESC reduces crashes by 35%. Additionally, Sport utility vehicles (SUV's) with stability control are involved in 67% fewer accidents than SUVs without the system. The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) issued its own study in June 2006 showing that up to 10,000 fatal US crashes could be avoided annually if all vehicles were equipped with ESC[9] The IIHS study concluded that ESC reduces the likelihood of all fatal crashes by 43%, fatal single-vehicle crashes by 56%, and fatal single-vehicle rollovers by 77-80%.
ESC is described as the most important advance in auto safety since the seat belt by many experts.[10] including Nicole Nason,[11] Administrator of the NHTSA,[12] Jim Guest and David Champion[13] of Consumers Union[14] Max Mosley of the Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile (FIA), E-Safety Aware[15], Csaba Csere, editor of Car and Driver[16], and Bill Kozyra, CEO of Continental Automotive Systems[12] The European New Car Assessment Program (EuroNCAP) "strongly recommends" that people buy cars fitted with stability control.[17]
The IIHS and Consumer Reports are so impressed with ESC that vehicles cannot earn their Top Safety Pick ratings without ESC.
Some studies suggest ESC/VSA can pay for itself. However with this Navi included for such an expensive price it will probably take a while on the Fit.

Old 08-30-2008, 06:35 AM
5 Year Member
From the look of those figs, ESC/VSA will eventually become standard feature like airbag. Don't get me wrong, ESC/VSA is developed for obvious reasons, but shelling 2K for a safety feature is dumb. Honda should make the VSA standard on the Fit just like the side airbags like it did 2 years ago.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:51 PM
I am dying to have steering wheel mounted audio controls, but since I'm in Canada and we don't even have a Navi option on our Sports trim, there is no such option available. Are there any aftermarket solutions to add steering wheel mounted audio buttons? Maybe if I bought a US steering wheel from a Sport Navi and had it installed?

Old 09-04-2008, 11:16 PM
Originally Posted by ProMed
ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I cant beleive we get ripped again!

Old 09-04-2008, 11:46 PM
I personally think VSA is a great safety feature that can help avert disaster. That said, I am annoyed that such an important safety feature is bundled with an expensive option such as nav (a superior aftermarket unit can be had for much less, though obviously it wouldn't be built in). Honda has always promoted safety first, so I'm a bit surprised that they're offering VSA in a car (sport w/nav) that is estimated to represent only 10% of U.S. sales. Adding to my frustration is the fact that the only way to get steering wheel mounted radio controls is with nav. I would gladly pay an upcharge for VSA and steering wheel controls. The nav will be dated in a couple years, whereas VSA stays relevant for the life of the car. My guess is steering wheel controls with be standard on Fit sports for '10, and VSA will be a stand-alone option -- I can't see Honda offering VSA next year without raising the price, especially since other small car manufacturers are charging up to $600 for their version of stability control.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:07 PM
Does Honda navi show map in 3-D perspective view?

Does the Honda navi map show in 3-D perspective view?

Does the DVD update disc update map only or features too?

Quick Reply: Issues with the NAV