2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Got back from the dealership for the 2nd time!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 03:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by troch1
Why is this a big deal? All glove boxes these days are plastic bins that even a 10-year old could break into with a simple screwdriver. In addition, a locked glove box is like a beacon screaming "I'VE GOT VALUABLES INSIDE, PLEASE OPEN ME!"

If the thief has already broken into your car, they certainly have the tools to get into your plastic lock-box.

Just MHO,

Mark
Are you kidding me? I a simple lock is all that's needed to prevent 95% of smash and grab events. I've never owned a car that didn't have a glove box that didn't lock.

Old 08-28-2008, 04:03 PM
Originally Posted by triton.
Are you kidding me? I a simple lock is all that's needed to prevent 95% of smash and grab events. I've never owned a car that didn't have a glove box that didn't lock.
You mean to tell me that a locked glove box in a locked car is going to prevent 95% of break-ins? I'd have to say that locking the car is FAR more important in the fight against crime.

The only way a thief is going to know that your glove box is locked in the first place is if they are already INSIDE your car. And if they got IN your car, there is a 100% possibility that they can open locked plastic glove box.

Mark

Old 08-28-2008, 04:18 PM
5 Year Member
Smash and grab.

Break the window.

Open glove box. Steal digital device (portable nav, iPod, etc).

A locked glove box can help prevent this type of crime.

Old 08-28-2008, 04:33 PM
Originally Posted by corey415
Smash and grab.

Break the window.

Open glove box. Steal digital device (portable nav, iPod, etc).

A locked glove box can help prevent this type of crime.
I understand the concept, but most gloveboxes can be forced by hand, let alone with an implement like a screwdriver. I guess I just can't see how much a plastic box would slow a thief. If they took the effort to break the glass, does the extra 5 seconds to force a lock matter? Perhaps it does, I've never tried it myself to see if that is the difference between getting caught or not...

In any event, putting your device(s) anywhere but the glovebox seems like the better solution, lock or not?

Mark

Old 08-28-2008, 05:12 PM
5 Year Member
The way I see it, if the glove box isn't locked the thief could easily open the glovebox and steal from outside the car through the broken window. Stock alarm doesn't have glass breakage or proxmity sensor so this activity would not make any noise.

With a locked glovebox, I assumed that using a tool might require opening the door to sit inside for better leverage to pry the glovebox open. Opening the door would set off the alarm on Fit's equipped with one and could scare off the criminal.

I guess the thief could jump through the broken window instead of opening the door though?

Old 08-28-2008, 05:49 PM
That little box under the rear seat looks like a great place to keep stuff hidden. When traveling in Europe I had someone recommend leaving the glove box empty and open so any potential thief could see that it was empty before smashing and grabbing. They love to target rental cars around Italy and Paris.

Old 08-28-2008, 05:59 PM
Originally Posted by ProMed
That little box under the rear seat looks like a great place to keep stuff hidden. When traveling in Europe I had someone recommend leaving the glove box empty and open so any potential thief could see that it was empty before smashing and grabbing. They love to target rental cars around Italy and Paris.
Driving a soft-top convertible for the past 9 years, this is exactly what I did when I parked in any major city...I would leave the glove box and center consoles open (not just unlocked, literally open) so potential thieves would have no reason to slash my top to get $0.75 in change that they thought might be there.

Mark

Last edited by troch1; 08-28-2008 at 06:00 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 08-28-2008, 06:04 PM
Dublin honda looks bigger and nicer than before...did they remodel in the last 12 months? I havent dropped by in a long time.

And that shifter looks fugly. Although the current AT one looks like a bit of a cheap toy. haha.

Last edited by nodrogkam; 08-28-2008 at 06:07 PM.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:15 PM
Retired Moderator
Nice pictures!!! do you have any close up on the rear with a straight on shot.??

Old 08-28-2008, 06:52 PM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
The stereo controls seem more intuitive. I am not sure i like that dash look, but it seems as if it would be simpler to operate while driving than the current one.

Listen to me, I've only had my baby one day and already I'm being a critic! Old habits die hard.

I LOVE MY FIT!!!!

Old 08-28-2008, 07:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by troch1
I understand the concept, but most gloveboxes can be forced by hand, let alone with an implement like a screwdriver. I guess I just can't see how much a plastic box would slow a thief. If they took the effort to break the glass, does the extra 5 seconds to force a lock matter? Perhaps it does, I've never tried it myself to see if that is the difference between getting caught or not...

In any event, putting your device(s) anywhere but the glovebox seems like the better solution, lock or not?

Mark
I dont think you understand smash and grab, yes the 5 seconds or any effort extra will help for a theif to just keep on moving.. Being able to lock the spot that 99% of people that are going to keep their ipod stored would have been nice. Surprising Honda missed that. Would have given up a cup holder or two for it.

Old 08-28-2008, 07:28 PM

Wow! I know double negatives are gramatically suspect, but triples are fine I think...but you got it wrong. Due to the context, I think what you meant to say was you've never owned a car that DID have a glove box that didn't lock, right? Oh, but that's a double negative...

Just joshin with you. I think glove boxes should lock. That would keep children out. Professional thieves will open a locked glove box in about a second.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:10 PM
5 Year Member
that was a good review of the new models. Overall it seems like an improvement for the bare essential interior of the car, but i want to hear about the difference in drivability, i hear that its quieter and that it has a stiffer ride, but someone needs to clear that up, i dont trust edmunds review.

Old 08-28-2008, 09:00 PM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
I dont think you understand smash and grab, yes the 5 seconds or any effort extra will help for a theif to just keep on moving.. Being able to lock the spot that 99% of people that are going to keep their ipod stored would have been nice. Surprising Honda missed that. Would have given up a cup holder or two for it.
Usually the smash and grabbers go for cars that women have just exited NOT carrying their handbag...like at schools, gyms, etc. where you are just leaving for a second. I cannot believe that anyone would leave anything of value in their car, but people do, and the grabbers are watching the parking lots, waiting for the opportunity. They pull up beside the vehicle if possible, use a bath towel over the window to smash it without making a ton of noise, get the purse and are gone before anyone even registers what happened. Then the ID gets sent to another ring, the credit cards are either used or someone pays the thief for them.

We had this happen in schools even if we warned the moms over and over again.

The smash and grabs would *never* take the time to pry open a glovebox unless they saw the woman put her purse in there and lock it. Other targets would be faster and easier.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:40 PM
5 Year Member
anyone check if the rear headrests fit gd3s?

Old 08-28-2008, 10:48 PM
Ohh man Tyler you TRAITOR!!!!!!!!!!

Jk.......... I plan on going to test drive one just to check them out and my parents need to a new car with good gas mileage and I know they have really liked the fit ever since I got mine and If I go to test drive one I can give my parents some feed back on it.

Old 08-29-2008, 06:42 AM
thanks for the great review!

Old 09-05-2008, 01:53 AM
Oh man, that radio looks hideous, and definitely looks like a pain in the ass to replace if you go aftermarket.

Old 09-06-2008, 02:05 PM
Fit Test Drive - 2 weeks ago

So i drove this a week and a half ago but couldn't post then because I got locked out of FitFreak then got busy. Anyway, I've got a TW Manual without Nav/VSA reserved. Dealer said it was built Aug 22nd and should be here mid Sept at the latest. Excited! So here's my old "review" ...really just a few thoughts. I took a bunch of pics but nothing that hasn't been seen so i won't post them.

Aug 26th - Well, I drove Black ’09 Fit Sport AT without Nav/VSA today! Here’s some thoughts -
First let me go over the negatives… and some of these are pretty dumb, I’m just trying to be thorough.
-While the front of the dash is very nice, the top is a cheaper plastic
-There were only 8 cup holders not 10, but there was something better in its place I’ll go over later
-The visor clips were pretty cheap, they will break eventually. Happened on my ’02 Accord, too.
-Vanity mirrors have no lights
-Visors don’t have extensions and are useless when turned to the sides
-The automatic was a bit sluggish
-The plastic casing in the back behind the back seats on the side walls was flimsy and cheap.
-The rubber cargo tray in the back is pretty thin and seems like it will tear easily.
-Ride is a little firm…but not bad.

Now for some positives:
-Handled better than I thought…sticks to the road. Drove it through the canyon up to Sundance at 70-80 mph, took the curves fast. Felt great!
-I drove it for about an hour straight. On the freeway, in the city, and in the canyon. The engine noise gets pretty bad above 4000 rpm. But -
-Seats are very comfortable. There is a perfect natural lumbar support even though it’s not adjustable. i used the telescoping wheel to its full extent, otherwise it would have been a very akward driving position...with the wheel too far away and the pedals too close. After adjusting i was very comfortable.
-ARMREST!!! (this has been talked about already but at the time i didn't know the AT came with the JDM armrest. I'll be installing it in my MT.) Very nice faux leather. Takes the place of the two rear center cup holders I thought would be there.
-Very comfortable in the back when drivers seat is in normal driving position…for me anyway, I’m 5’10”
-“OS” handles
-NICE stereo. I personally love the new dash and stereo. Very easy to use.
-The sport mode and paddle shifters are way more fun than regular auto
-Got 33 average mpg even though I drove it like a maniac on the highway, canyon, and city. I normally drive like a granny so I’m looking forward to getting even better mpg.
-Map Lights

That's all i can think of right now...but i did spend alot of time with it. The dealer had to call me to bring it in because there were two more people waiting to drive it!

Old 09-11-2008, 06:08 PM
I was so underwhelmed by this car.

The hype around it has been outrageous. As a small car, it's pretty much OK.

I found its interior to be terribly choppy....disorganized, odd shapes, etc...not easy on the eyes.

The outside...it looks OK in some angles, pretty lousy in others. The rear wheels stuck inside the wheel well give it such a toyish look I can't quite get over it.

Needless to say, I was looking forward to possibly purchasing this car but it's totally out of the question now. Pretty disappointed.

But with all the suckers waiting in line to buy it full price and more, I'm glad I'm not in the rat race at least.

Quick Reply: Got back from the dealership for the 2nd time!