2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Power to clutch but AC does not turn on

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2022, 10:24 AM
5 Year Member
Power to clutch but AC does not turn on

Hi guys,

I have a 2010 Honda Fit Base with 170k miles.

Over the summer my AC died. It was on, I turned it off, and when I went to turn it back on nothing. The green light on the AC button does turn on.

So I finally saved up some money to bring it in and get it looked at. The mechanic has no idea what is going on, says it is electrical and I need to take it to dealer.

They:
- Replaced relays and fuses. They tried directly engaging the compressor using plyers with the relay. It did not engage.
- Noted the low pressure line had high pressure and discharged/replaced refrigerant
- See power is getting to the clutch
- See that the AC compressor does not turn on and no power is getting to it
- See that the AC fan does turn on

They are telling me its a 50/50 chance the compressor is the issue and don't want to replace it on that.

Anyone experience anything similar? I'm starting to think it's the AC button, even though it gets a green light, perhaps it may be shot.

I'd love to get this fixed without going to the stealership because I'm sure I will get absolutely pummeled for more then the car is worth.

Any tips or tricks or suggestions greatly appreciated fellow Fit freaks.

Last edited by seanpatrickk; 12-07-2022 at 10:36 AM.
Old 12-07-2022, 02:11 PM
5 Year Member
You could try jumping the wires behind the button while the car is off and check if the AC comes on when you turn the car on!

Old 12-08-2022, 11:21 AM
I don't see how the process described rules out a faulty AC clutch (just the clutch, not the whole compressor). Any input or influence from sensors relating to system pressures, fuses, safeties etc... would act to stop power from being applied to the clutch.

If the clutch has power applied and does not engage, replace the clutch.

In my short time following Fit GE8 issues, I have already read about AC clutches being a weak point, and they are available separately but lots of people don't know that.

Old 12-22-2022, 10:23 PM
5 Year Member
I had a similar issue with my 07. I made a thread about it. I had a bad wire going to the he clutch at the compressor and I also had a worn clutch. When the clutch wears the gap increases and the clutch won’t pull it and engage. You can make a shim to adjust the gap and fix the issue if that’s the case.

I was able to diagnose it by hitting the clutch with a pry bar to push it in with the engine running and clutch energized. It would engage and then when it cycled and got hot it wouldn’t pull in.