2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2011 Honda Fit - HVAC Fan Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2022, 11:52 PM
2011 Honda Fit - HVAC Fan Question

Hello everyone,
I have a couple of issues I need to resolve asap.
I am assuming the HVAC Fan is what I am having issues with. So the knob in the car that controls the fan speed numbered 1-4 for fan speed only works on the #4 setting.
That is my first issue.
My second issue is that driving home from work yesterday I heard what sounded like my fan dropping from where ever it is located to somewhere inside of the car.
Now when I turn on the fan I can hear the blades just hitting things as they spin. I am assuming that this fan is no longer attached and hanging in the spot it should be.

With the cold coming in I really need to do my best to get this fixed soon.
Does anyone have a manual or a document of sorts that would tell me how to get to this fan?
It sounds like it should be located right under the passenger side kickboard area under the glove box.
Will this be easy enough to fix, you think?
Also the fan controller only working on #4
I can tell when I turn it to 1 I can hear something click on telling the HVAC system to turn on, but the fan never turned on.

Thank you for any help you might be able to provide.

Kind regards,
Chuck

Old 11-22-2022, 12:26 AM
Nevermind,
I did a bunch of searching on the forum here and I found out what I needed to know.
This seems to be a common issue - I will order a Blower motor resistor module and a new blower motor.
Thanks!

Old 11-22-2022, 08:24 AM
5 Year Member
There is also a link to download the manual shop for the car if you need instructions on how to do it.

Old 11-22-2022, 11:24 AM
Originally Posted by Frenzal
There is also a link to download the manual shop for the car if you need instructions on how to do it.
Thank you for the reply!
I was not aware of this. I will see if I can find the manual.
Thanks again!

Old 11-22-2022, 12:36 PM
5 Year Member
Old 11-22-2022, 03:49 PM
Hi.
You definitely need to replace the resistor. You may or may not need to replace the blower motor. There's a good chance that the noise you're hearing is debris in the blower. When did you last change your cabin air filter? It's a nice cosy spot for rodents to hang out and deposit droppings, acorns, etc. Eventually some of that will get through the cabin air filter and into the blower which can lead to some truly disturbing noises. On a side note, if your cabin air filter was mostly plugged that would also stress your HVAC system and could lead to premature death of components.

If you've already got the blower motor on the way there's no harm in replacing it. This is an easy job (I think it's two screws for the resistor and three for the blower motor) assuming you can contort your body into the passenger footwell. You can find other posts here with instructions and guidance.

Good luck.

Old 11-22-2022, 11:29 PM
Originally Posted by Frenzal
Thank you very much!

Originally Posted by Drew21
Hi.
You definitely need to replace the resistor. You may or may not need to replace the blower motor. There's a good chance that the noise you're hearing is debris in the blower. When did you last change your cabin air filter? It's a nice cosy spot for rodents to hang out and deposit droppings, acorns, etc. Eventually some of that will get through the cabin air filter and into the blower which can lead to some truly disturbing noises. On a side note, if your cabin air filter was mostly plugged that would also stress your HVAC system and could lead to premature death of components.

If you've already got the blower motor on the way there's no harm in replacing it. This is an easy job (I think it's two screws for the resistor and three for the blower motor) assuming you can contort your body into the passenger footwell. You can find other posts here with instructions and guidance.

Good luck.
Thank you for the reply.
I did end up ordering a new blower motor along with the resistor.
I got my items from Rockauto - I was amazed how much cheaper it was. I payed $60 shipped for 3 parts. I also got a rear wiper blade.
I went to Autozone and O-Riley's and they wanted $90 just for the blower motor.

You could be correct and maybe some debris just fell into the blower motor area. I don't think the cabin filter has ever been replaced and the car before I received it was kind of a farm car that just sat out on a farm and hauled around animals.
I think either way replacing the blower will end up being a good idea, but I didn't consider the cabin filter so I will also just go ahead and replace that as well when everything comes in.
Thank you again for the reply / advice!

Old 11-23-2022, 06:23 AM
5 Year Member
Next time you order from Rock Auto, you can also easily find a 5 % discount code by searching a bit on Google.

They will also send you a discount code with your purchase that you can share with other people.

Rock Auto is really great and cheap!

Old 11-27-2022, 12:01 AM
I got the blower motor and air filter today in the mail. Still waiting on the blower motor resistor.
I figured I would start by pulling out the air filter and when I opened the glove box I saw torn-up sheets of paper and little poo's in the glove box.
Something must have been living above the air filter area. I pulled out a nest from the engine bay area behind that cover.

After I got all that cleaned up I pulled the blower motor there seemed to be a few leaves n junk inside of it, but not much. The wheel had a bit of play in it and would rock a bit side to side so I think replacing the blower motor was a good call.
Put it all back together and it sounds good.

The blower motor resistor should arrive Tuesday and I will get that installed and hopefully have full-range use of my HVAC system lol.