2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

09 Honda Fit Sport - Airbag light after replacing stock seat with another

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2022, 02:58 PM
09 Honda Fit Sport - Airbag light after replacing stock seat with another

As the title says I replaced my stock seat with another Honda Fit stock seat, same year (2009). The only difference is mine is sport package and the one I got the seat from is a base model from the looks of it (No side skirts, no holes for side skirt mounts iirc, but all the same connectors). I undid the negative terminal and waited for about an hour before I even replaced the original seat. I then got to work and installed the new seat. Plugged in all the connectors for the seat and then I bolted it down, put the negative terminal back on. Started the car and now I have an airbag light. I disconnected the battery again, and this time I disconnected both the negative and positive. Let it sit for 30 minutes, and after re-connecting the leads and the connectors to the seat, I'm still getting an airbag light. My friend suggested that I put the old seat back in and see if the airbag light stays or goes away. He also suggested that the seat (or whatever controls the airbags in the seat) might have to get re-programmed. If so, do I have to take it to a dealer (or can I do it at any shop) and will they do it for free or no? Sorry if these questions are kind of stupid this is my first time dealing with anything airbag related. Below is the precise airbag light I'm getting. Only other light on dash is a tire-pressure light.

Old 05-18-2023, 09:50 AM
Responding here to bring the thread up to the top. Did you get this resolved?
I have the exact same issue. 2009 sport (as posted here previously: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...t-replace.html)
My original passenger seat was ripped so I grabbed a used one at a parts yard from a car that had deployed airbags. When I put the used seat in, I got the airbag light (on the dash like you show in your OP). I had my buddy with a fancy OBD tool go in and read the errors, it said to try calibration. So we went through the whole 'put a 40lb weight in the seat and drive around' process. But that didn't work.
Then I went and found a used SRS module (the main one buried behind the cupholder in the center console) from a junk car that didn't have airbags deployed. When I put it in, I got the same airbag light.
My understanding is that there may be some sort of 'memory' in the seat belt buckle that is tripping the main SRS module? Anybody have any guidance at this point? TIA!

Old 05-18-2023, 08:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DeLaMano
I have the exact same issue. 2009 sport (as posted here previously: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...t-replace.html)
My original passenger seat was ripped so I grabbed a used one at a parts yard from a car that had deployed airbags. When I put the used seat in, I got the airbag light (on the dash like you show in your OP). I had my buddy with a fancy OBD tool go in and read the errors, it said to try calibration. So we went through the whole 'put a 40lb weight in the seat and drive around' process. But that didn't work.
Then I went and found a used SRS module (the main one buried behind the cupholder in the center console) from a junk car that didn't have airbags deployed. When I put it in, I got the same airbag light.
My understanding is that there may be some sort of 'memory' in the seat belt buckle that is tripping the main SRS module? Anybody have any guidance at this point? TIA!
I had lunch today with a buddy that owns a body shop. I copied your post and took it with me and asked him what he would do?. His response was he would suggest you taking your car in to a shop that has the specialized equipment to read and analyze the trouble codes present in your car. That shop will make recommendations as to what needs to be replaced and then will finish clearing the codes when repairs are completed. Some shops may be able to do this analysis in house, and other shops farm this work out. My friend's body shop farms this work out to a local analytics shop near him. You should start out contacting a local body shop to you and ask for a referral. Good luck.

Old 09-07-2023, 02:06 AM
This happened to me and as it turns out you need to use your original OPDS module from your original seat AND the original weight sensor on the seat rails from your passenger side seat might as well re-use your orignal seat rails from the passenger. I tried different OPDS module and thought it was that but that didn't work. Also you need to find the correct seats for your year I think the 09 10 are the same uses 4 plugs on the OPDS module, but 11-13 seats the OPDS module only plugs in three plugs where as the 09 uses 4 plugs for the back seat sensor. I had to take the back sensor with the plug ripped it from the actual seat and tucked it in the back of the 11-13 seats and plug it back in to the original OPDS sensor that uses all the plugs and reset the SRS light and that worked. I also tried different seats from other fits to test and it doesn't work, it has to be your original OPDS module and weight sensors and all the 4 plugs need to be used on the OPDS.

Last edited by azynstud; 09-07-2023 at 02:08 AM.
Old 11-17-2023, 12:20 AM
Originally Posted by DeLaMano
Heyo! Sorry if this is a bit late. But I did end up getting it resolved before I had to sell it of course, but that was for other reasons lol. We had to run 3 different calibrations for it to finally work with us. After that, the airbag light went away. I'd say try to calibrate everything a few more times. Instead of a 40lb weight, I just sat in the seat.

Old Today, 07:54 PM
Originally Posted by miatman
Heyo! Sorry if this is a bit late. But I did end up getting it resolved before I had to sell it of course, but that was for other reasons lol. We had to run 3 different calibrations for it to finally work with us. After that, the airbag light went away. I'd say try to calibrate everything a few more times. Instead of a 40lb weight, I just sat in the seat.
Hey there I'm having the same issue, we bought a new 2013 fit that had cigarette holes in the seats and took our old seats out of the 2009 fit we had. Same generation, same plugs, same number of pins, figured it would be fine but of course the light is on now. Can you provide more details on the recalibrations you had to do? Ive also checked the srs code and attenpted the reset by shorting the pins on the obd plug but that hasnt led me to any results. Thanks in advance! Oh and i no longer have access to the old seats either unfortunately. Id deal with cigarette holes over this fight if i could go back lol