2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Door Locks Randomly turn On and Off

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2022, 09:41 AM
5 Year Member
Door Locks Randomly turn On and Off

This is so weird.
The door switch doesn't work that well........and while driving the car locks and unlocks randomly every 15 - 60 seconds or so.

Any ideas?

It doesn't seem to be affected by bumps in the road, fwiw

Also, lately the battery has been draining while parked.....

Z

Last edited by Zardiw; 07-15-2022 at 09:46 AM.
Old 07-15-2022, 11:29 AM
I think you've already identified your starting point: a bad switch or maybe a short near the switch.

Does the lock/unlock happen when the car is off and the key is removed? If so, that would explain your battery drain.

I don't know much about electricity (except that it's scary) but I think you can test switches with a multi-meter. It might be as simple as the switch mechanism is gunked up and need to be cleaned, or as I said above, maybe there's a short in or near the switch.

It's easy to remove the door cards to access the switch for investigation. I would start by isolating the switch (remove fuse?) to see if that solves your battery drain. I can't remember if you can swap the lock switch from driver to passenger side, but if you can that would be a good test. Remove the bad switch and install the other in it's place.

Old 07-15-2022, 11:33 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Drew21
I think you've already identified your starting point: a bad switch or maybe a short near the switch.

Does the lock/unlock happen when the car is off and the key is removed? If so, that would explain your battery drain.

I don't know much about electricity (except that it's scary) but I think you can test switches with a multi-meter. It might be as simple as the switch mechanism is gunked up and need to be cleaned, or as I said above, maybe there's a short in or near the switch.

It's easy to remove the door cards to access the switch for investigation. I would start by isolating the switch (remove fuse?) to see if that solves your battery drain. I can't remember if you can swap the lock switch from driver to passenger side, but if you can that would be a good test. Remove the bad switch and install the other in it's place.
Thank you!
I don't think it's happening when the car is off.......
Gonna replace the whole switch assembly in the door..........seems pretty simple......there's vids online.

Will see if that fixes it.....

Z

Old 07-15-2022, 12:46 PM
5 Year Member
Had stripped wires in my 99 Civic door (insulation cracked from age). When some of the wires touched the right ones, door would lock/unlock anytime without cause.

Might not be your issue, but it is worth to check the wires under the rubber that connects the body of the car to the door.

Old 07-17-2022, 12:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Frenzal
Had stripped wires in my 99 Civic door (insulation cracked from age). When some of the wires touched the right ones, door would lock/unlock anytime without cause.

Might not be your issue, but it is worth to check the wires under the rubber that connects the body of the car to the door.

Hey...Thanks for that.........will check

Z

Old 07-21-2022, 06:21 AM
5 Year Member
You might have an issue with the lock mechanism itself.

If it doesn't fully latch onto a locked/unlocked position (likely worn gears), it'll trigger the latch to move into whatever it's supposed to be.

And yes, it'll "fight" you when you press the switch while that happens.

This was why I ended replacing two of the four door locks on my Fit.

Old 07-21-2022, 09:45 AM
Having a similar problem. Usually mine happens when I get out after driving, it’ll lock, unlock, lock, and so on for some unknown amount of time. It’ll fight me if I need to get back in too, I’ll just spam the door handle till it finally works. Rarely does it while I’m driving however, and I’ve never had battery drain issues.

Old 07-21-2022, 05:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Goobers
You might have an issue with the lock mechanism itself.

If it doesn't fully latch onto a locked/unlocked position (likely worn gears), it'll trigger the latch to move into whatever it's supposed to be.

And yes, it'll "fight" you when you press the switch while that happens.

This was why I ended replacing two of the four door locks on my Fit.
I don't think that's it........seems to lock and unlock OK

Old 07-21-2022, 05:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Ge888
Having a similar problem. Usually mine happens when I get out after driving, it’ll lock, unlock, lock, and so on for some unknown amount of time. It’ll fight me if I need to get back in too, I’ll just spam the door handle till it finally works. Rarely does it while I’m driving however, and I’ve never had battery drain issues.
It's locked me out of my car .....this while it's still running.....and it NEVER used to do that.

Luckily I have a spare key and while the unlock button on the fob doesn't work while the other key is in the ignition and the car is running....inserting the key manually in the door is what I have to do........

Z

Old 08-09-2022, 09:25 AM
5 Year Member
Here's an Update:

I replaced the door switch panel. It was easy.

Not sure if that made a huge difference.......because it still did it afterwards.......but not as much.

And now it hasn't done it in awhile.

I figured out that she goes into 'Crazy Mode' on occasion.

In that mode the door lock switch doesn't work at all......and the locks turn on and off randomly.

But lately she's been in 'sane' mode.....where it works..........and doesn't turn on/off like before.

Z

Old 08-09-2022, 10:05 AM
I'm glad that your issue is partially better. It sounds like you might have a wiring issue associated with the door lock mechanism based on the symptoms you describe. Maybe you've got a bit of pinched or exposed wire. When you hit a bump it comes in contact with something, closes the circuit, and causes the lock/unlock/lock/... Hit another bump and the wire moves a bit and it's fine for a while.
Luckily, once you've figured out how to take the door apart it goes more quickly the second time. I would trace all the switch wiring and look for any issues.

Old 09-06-2022, 11:50 PM
Did you ever figure out the cause? This is exactly the problem I’m having. Sometimes it’s nice but sometimes it’ll start randomly locking and unlocking once I park and turn off the car. If I park and get out and need to get back in I have to spam the door handle to get it to open up.

Old 09-17-2022, 05:33 PM
5 Year Member
I also have the same issue (Honda Fit sport 2009, manual shift., 245,000 miles). It does it when I drive at low speed and when I park and lock the doors. It does not do it at high speed (over 50 mph). Any idea? It is getting worse over time as it started about 2 years ago. THANKS!

Old 10-07-2022, 04:52 AM
Banned

Last edited by daniolmu; 10-07-2022 at 10:33 AM.
Old 11-06-2022, 04:21 PM
5 Year Member
Would like to update this.........

For awhile the problem went away.....

But now it's back.

There's the normal mode........and there's the freak out mode where the locks just randomly turn on and off.

During Freak out mode, the door unlock/lock switch has no effect.

And when she's in Freak out mode.......and you turn the key to start........there's a hesitation.....about a second......before the starter engages.......

I was thinking it might be the door lock relay.......but have no idea where that is.....

The left door switch assembly is new now.

Does anyone know where these relays are?

Z

Last edited by Zardiw; 11-06-2022 at 04:26 PM.
Old 11-06-2022, 04:24 PM
5 Year Member
I drive on bumpy roads all the time..........it's not cause of vibration........

Z

Old 11-06-2022, 04:25 PM
5 Year Member
Did you ever figure out the cause? This is exactly the problem I’m having. Sometimes it’s nice but sometimes it’ll start randomly locking and unlocking once I park and turn off the car. If I park and get out and need to get back in I have to spam the door handle to get it to open up.
Luckily I have a spare key.......and if I'm locked out, I can manually unlock the door.........

Z

Old 11-08-2022, 12:32 PM
5 Year Member
Now it's not doing it anymore..........

Went to the Dealer........guy there said he's not seen this before.

Seemed to think it had something to do with one of the door locks.......but that's bullshit.

ALSO, Twice now.......when I turn the key starter won't engage...........and it's a brand new battery....

Z

Old 12-05-2022, 11:53 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by adammerve
How exactly would I do that?

This problem is intermittent..........sometimes everything works.

When it's in freakout mode, the lock button doesn't work at all........

Z

Old 12-05-2022, 01:10 PM
5 Year Member
You remove the grommet from the door, toss it a little and check the wire and their insulation.

I had a similar problem on my 99 Civic where the insulation of a couple of wires was cracked, and the driver door was locking and unlocking by it's own.

It's a simple check just to get rid of this possibility.

Quick Reply: Door Locks Randomly turn On and Off