2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Oil Change, Tire Rotation, then . . . Malfunction Indicator Lamp?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2021, 06:49 PM
Oil Change, Tire Rotation, then . . . Malfunction Indicator Lamp?

Hi everyone. I have an '11 with 140K. Just did a regular old oil change, rotated the tires, and then I'm driving and the Malfunction Indicator Lamp light comes on. Can anyone see a connection? Manual says it is an indicator something is not right with the emissions control system so I am puzzled. Gas cap is on tight, no oil leaking or engine trouble. I got nothing. Thanks for the help

Old 12-16-2021, 07:22 AM
5 Year Member
Get a code # and i'll look it up. i'll try to double check the one i just got for lean emissions whatever on Nov 27.

I resolved my issue by re-torquing plugs, adjusting valves, and cleaning injectors. I was in a hurry so I did them all, along with check oil, air filter, gas cap, and throttle body. No one thing from my 3 services struck me as bad enough by itself to cause a code. Plug #2 was too easy to break loose, exhaust valves on cyl 1 and 3 had some play, but nothing was way wrong.
the check engine light did turn off after I finished and has been off since.

As it stands your problem could be a needed tune up, actual emissions component issue caused by lack of tune ups, or it may be that your gas cap, although tight, has a worn out valve/spring mechanism.

Let's get'cha fixed up

Old 12-16-2021, 01:53 PM
Pyts,

Much appreciated. I'll use that info when I go to my mechanic tomorrow morning.

And all of a sudden my VAS light came on today. I'm wondering if that is related to the tire rotation. My tires are nearing the end of their run, and while all are inflated, perhaps being in new positions combined with their wear are enough to trip the sensor (?).

Old 12-16-2021, 05:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jcharlesdragon
Pyts,

Much appreciated. I'll use that info when I go to my mechanic tomorrow morning.

And all of a sudden my VAS light came on today. I'm wondering if that is related to the tire rotation. My tires are nearing the end of their run, and while all are inflated, perhaps being in new positions combined with their wear are enough to trip the sensor (?).
I should warn you, while those services dont necessarily require replacement parts, they do take time. That VSA light of yours is strange, too. It's vehicle stability assist. I'm sure your mechanic will know what to do, but if you want an attempt at verification of their diagnosis, be sure to get the engine light code! I can put it into the manual.

Old 12-17-2021, 10:28 AM
Well, I got word from the mechanic it was a busted piston and the spark plug broke up and fell into the cylinder. Given the miles on this engine (140k) a rebuild would be of questionable worth even if it is possible (it would cost $500+ for the labor just to open it up and find out). He found a used engine with 70k from a trusted source (and I trust the mechanic, at least as much as I can) so I'm replacing the engine. $3000 is a lot of money but I am not ready to buy a new/used car and that's that. Guess I just got a rare Honda engine that failed -- these things happen.

Oh, and the VSA light was probably on because the engine was misfiring.

Thanks again for the help.