2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

How to left foot brake in a 2nd gen?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2021, 10:38 PM
How to left foot brake in a 2nd gen?

Hey all, so simple question. How do you left foot brake one of these cars? My 2011 fit sport kills all throttle I apply when hitting the brake with my left foot. Any help to disable this or bypass it would be great. Thanks

Old 11-03-2021, 06:14 AM
5 Year Member
Just don't drive like this. Shouldn't be doing that anyway.

Old 11-03-2021, 09:35 AM
Originally Posted by Frenzal
Just don't drive like this. Shouldn't be doing that anyway.
It's for autocross and ice racing the car, don't tell me what to do lmfao

Old 11-03-2021, 10:14 AM
5 Year Member
Not a great attitude for someone asking for help.

There are no context clues in your post to suggest you’re not a 19 year old convinced you’re immortal looking to pretend you’re Max Verstappen and crash on public roads into innocent folks.

Old 11-03-2021, 10:20 AM
Originally Posted by mike410b
Not a great attitude for someone asking for help.

There are no context clues in your post to suggest you’re not a 19 year old convinced you’re immortal looking to pretend you’re Max Verstappen and crash on public roads into innocent folks.
I'm not asking for moral advice. I'm doing this on a closed track and it's no one's business. I've been searching high and low how to disable this dumb feature and someone telling me I "shouldn't be doing it anyways" is not contributing to the thread what-so-ever. Simply don't comment if you can't help, where and when I do this is not your business so don't bother.

Old 11-03-2021, 11:21 AM
5 Year Member
I can't do the dance, or any dance for that matter, but I haven't noticed any electrical inability to use the brake and throttle simultaneously (based on my driving, not reviewing diagrams.) If you're confident there's some kinda electrical goofbaggery going on, I'll check it out
What I noticed personally is the delay between stepping on the pedal and the opening of the throttle plate. I believe that could be addressed with the right throttle controller or maybe modification of technique.
​​​​​​I've definitely seen some dudes (as well as manufacturers) here with controllers that advocated for the decreased delay between input and response.
Does that sound like a possible solution?

Old 11-03-2021, 02:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ricochang
I'm not asking for moral advice. I'm doing this on a closed track and it's no one's business. I've been searching high and low how to disable this dumb feature and someone telling me I "shouldn't be doing it anyways" is not contributing to the thread what-so-ever. Simply don't comment if you can't help, where and when I do this is not your business so don't bother.
what you do on public roads is in fact other people’s business. you doing dumb things in your decade old economy car that puts other people at risk is literally everyone else’s business because the person behaving recklessly can’t be entrusted to behave in a manner that doesn’t put other lives at risk.

jeez man. you’re pushing things off topic.

Old 11-03-2021, 04:36 PM
Originally Posted by mike410b
what you do on public roads is in fact other people’s business. you doing dumb things in your decade old economy car that puts other people at risk is literally everyone else’s business because the person behaving recklessly can’t be entrusted to behave in a manner that doesn’t put other lives at risk.

jeez man. you’re pushing things off topic.
Can you read? I said I'm doing on a CLOSED TRACK not public roads you goof. I'm not the one pushing things off topic y'all are derailing my thread by spewing stuff like this. Not replying to either of you anymore there's no point if you won't contribute to the thread

Old 11-03-2021, 04:42 PM
Originally Posted by Pyts
I can't do the dance, or any dance for that matter, but I haven't noticed any electrical inability to use the brake and throttle simultaneously (based on my driving, not reviewing diagrams.) If you're confident there's some kinda electrical goofbaggery going on, I'll check it out
What I noticed personally is the delay between stepping on the pedal and the opening of the throttle plate. I believe that could be addressed with the right throttle controller or maybe modification of technique.
​​​​​​I've definitely seen some dudes (as well as manufacturers) here with controllers that advocated for the decreased delay between input and response.
Does that sound like a possible solution?
That would be rev hang/throttle response, which can be tuned out or improved with ktuner or one of the pedal commander things you mentioned. My car is a total cut in throttle once the brake switch is deactivated, I unplugged the brake pedal switch to see if it would no longer do it and it doesn't, but the brake lights won't work anymore and we can't have that even on a private track haha. Seems it may be too complex to simply unhook a pin or something like that

Old 11-03-2021, 08:35 PM
I'm also curious as well - will be watching this thread.

Old 11-05-2021, 05:00 PM
5 Year Member
So I read this earlier today so I did some testing on the way home (safely!! &#128540 my conclusion is no throttle cut, but the brakes can overcome the available torque which slows the engine. If the braking is punchy, this can resemble throttle cut

Old 11-06-2021, 12:19 AM
Originally Posted by punx45
So I read this earlier today so I did some testing on the way home (safely!! &#128540 my conclusion is no throttle cut, but the brakes can overcome the available torque which slows the engine. If the braking is punchy, this can resemble throttle cut
That's what I've noticed, too. The brakes just seem stronger than the torque, but I can always overcome it with more throttle. If there were no brake booster it'd be perfect.

I have an '09, maybe there's a difference in the '11?

Old 11-09-2021, 10:20 AM
5 Year Member
It is the same for any manual trans car. Google it.

Old 11-11-2021, 08:51 AM
5 Year Member
I have a 2010 Fit Sport, never had this problem with left foot braking and never noticed a throttle cutout at all. I'll try it today just to make sure. I've always used left foot braking on all my cars going back to 1970, never saw any problem with it. I also have been riding motorcycles since '70 where you have to coordinate both hands and both feet at the same time, so left foot and right foot on a car seems like a no brainer; on a manual transmission car with the left foot clutch it took a bit more coordination, but nothing major. To each his or her own though; do what you think best.

My uncle (since passed) used crossed feet on the gas pedal and brakes. Right foot braking, left foot gas pedal. Now that one I never figured out.

Old 11-11-2021, 12:14 PM
5 Year Member
Talking

Originally Posted by Bowbridge
My uncle (since passed) used Right foot braking, left foot gas pedal. Now that one I never figured out.

Was he facing rearward when driving? lol

Old 12-30-2021, 04:43 PM
From what ive read this is a safety feature put on all cars with a e-throttle. if something goes wrong with the gas pedal, the brake cuts out throttle regardless of what the gas pedal is doing. Thats why when you unplugged the switch, it doesnt cut throttle, because it doesnt know that youre braking

Old 12-30-2021, 04:50 PM
5 Year Member
If I was driving with my right foot braking and left foot on the gas....I would need a rear view mirror on the seat backs to see the oncoming traffic.