2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Different tire brands on Fit?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2021, 07:18 PM
Different tire brands on Fit?

I damaged one tire on a set of Toyos that I got last year. They should have plenty of life in them, but the tire shop wasn't able to order the same Toyos so I have a pair of General tires on order to put on the rear axle. I've read so many different opinions on whether it's okay to mix tire brands as long as the pairs on each axle match so thought I'd ask here.

The tires I have:
Amazon Amazon
The General tires pair which I will put on the back axle:
Amazon Amazon

I've read that you can generally mix brands as long as they are the same on each axle and the tread and size is not too different. The size should be similar to the Toyos, but the tread does look different. Any tire experts here want to weigh in on if it's a big deal to be driving on these on my Fit?

Old 09-08-2021, 07:30 PM
5 Year Member
It’s not ideal but could be a whole lot worse. Putting the generals in the rear is a good idea for wet and snow driving. I would simply drive the car like a normal car and not a formula1 car. If you drive with care (as we all always should), you should be fine.

Old 09-08-2021, 07:44 PM
Originally Posted by mike410b
It’s not ideal but could be a whole lot worse. Putting the generals in the rear is a good idea for wet and snow driving. I would simply drive the car like a normal car and not a formula1 car. If you drive with care (as we all always should), you should be fine.
Thanks. My only concern is that I'm in Colorado and winter is coming. I do drive a lot in the mountains but avoid bad weather when possible. It sounds like I'll be alright, but man I can't believe the variety of and extreme range of opinions on this.

Old 09-08-2021, 08:09 PM
Considering people drive with a donut spare on one and regular wheels/tires on the other three, I don't think having one type of tire on the front and a different one on the back is a huge issue.

Old 09-08-2021, 09:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by szellmaniac
Thanks. My only concern is that I'm in Colorado and winter is coming. I do drive a lot in the mountains but avoid bad weather when possible. It sounds like I'll be alright, but man I can't believe the variety of and extreme range of opinions on this.
Snow tires my friend. They make all the difference. I will never recommend all seasons year round in a snowy climate having had snow tires for the last five years in my own snowbelt state

Old 09-08-2021, 09:45 PM
Originally Posted by mike410b
Snow tires my friend. They make all the difference. I will never recommend all seasons year round in a snowy climate having had snow tires for the last five years in my own snowbelt state
Would be best but I just don't drive if the weather is that bad. I went last winter with all season tires and it was fine. I'm more concerned about handling related issues or whatever else might be caused by using different style treads (though the general and Toyo are all season tires and hopefully have similar treads - doesn't look like it though from the pictures).