2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

12 Fit Base 5spd... Had Recall Done... Now Alignment Is Off

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2021, 07:44 PM
12 Fit Base 5spd... Had Recall Done... Now Alignment Is Off

Had the recall done on both front axles. Car glides smooth as silk, but my alignment is off. The dealer who did the recall said "We didn't touch your alignment" so I'm skeptical. I work for Acura now and they can't do the recall themselves (am in the U.S.). Is this common? Or did the dealer just F me real hard?

Old 08-19-2021, 08:19 PM
5 Year Member
Your alignment can be affected by the replacement of axles. Since the dealership is basically not going to align your car after replacing the axles, look up North American Honda's phone number on the internet and contact their customer service number. Honda was ordered to do this safety recall by the Federal Government. Honda will advise you if the alignment should have been included. I've heard it's supposed to be done and I've heard some dealers that do the warranty replacement work are resistant to include it- probably because all dealerships don't have front end alignment machines in house.

Old 08-19-2021, 10:55 PM
I just had mine done on a '10 manual so only the passenger side was replaced. The receipt from the dealership included an alignment. No charge for any of it. I'm only assuming they did one and my car still tracks straight.

Old 08-20-2021, 12:24 AM
5 Year Member
I can't entirely agree with others. Cv shaft replacement can be done by removing the bolts that attach the strut to the wheel hub, avoiding separation of tie rod and ball joint. I use that method cuz the other potentially requires an alignment and i always rip tie rod n ball joint bushings when i mess with them.. Since the recall was for shaft failure due to corrosion vs. like.. bearing wear, if they used method 1, there shouldnt have been an impact on alignment. my manual indicates they should've separated the ball joint n tie rod from the hub, but it's dated and dealers have their own system thats continually updated.

But if they removed the lower strut bolts, they shoulda replaced them with 2 new ones according to the manual. they're disposable wear items. if those two bolts (and the nuts on em) arent new, then you should have an argument for getting an alignment..

Regardless, I think you should take the above advice and make a phone call. i'd pay for a 60 buck alignment at an align shop if the call becomes more trouble that it's worth. its just a front wheel alignment. though guys in some way try to tweak the rear, its not really adjustable. so it's a reasonably priced job

Old 08-20-2021, 11:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by IronMermaiden
Had the recall done on both front axles. Car glides smooth as silk, but my alignment is off. The dealer who did the recall said "We didn't touch your alignment" so I'm skeptical. I work for Acura now and they can't do the recall themselves (am in the U.S.). Is this common? Or did the dealer just F me real hard?
Take it back. Techs get warranty pay to do the alignment as part of the recall with axle replacement... period.

Originally Posted by Pyts
I can't entirely agree with others. Cv shaft replacement can be done by removing the bolts that attach the strut to the wheel hub, avoiding separation of tie rod and ball joint. I use that method cuz the other potentially requires an alignment and i always rip tie rod n ball joint bushings when i mess with them.. Since the recall was for shaft failure due to corrosion vs. like.. bearing wear, if they used method 1, there shouldnt have been an impact on alignment. my manual indicates they should've separated the ball joint n tie rod from the hub, but it's dated and dealers have their own system thats continually updated.

But if they removed the lower strut bolts, they shoulda replaced them with 2 new ones according to the manual. they're disposable wear items. if those two bolts (and the nuts on em) arent new, then you should have an argument for getting an alignment.
I agree... Its just another (and much more efficient) way to get the job done to separate the lower control arm vs removing the two strut bolts then removing the axle that way.