2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Continental Extreme Contact DWS 6 Stability Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2021, 12:44 PM
5 Year Member
Continental Extreme Contact DWS 6 Stability Problem

I replaced the 2 rears with brand new Continental Extreme Contact DWS 6 tires (which is what was on there before), and now the car is unstable as hell.

It feels like I have balloons back there instead of tires.........as if the sidewalls are paper thin.

So I THINK they changed them to save money or something.

Luckily I have the old tires still.........going to the tire shop today to get the old ones put back on (How many people have done that b4 ..LMAO)......will let you know the result.

The only other thing it could be is they messed something up.........sway bar?..don't know.

z

Last edited by Zardiw; 07-19-2021 at 06:08 PM.
Old 07-19-2021, 01:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Zardiw
I replaced the 2 rears with brand new Continental Extreme Contact DWS 6 tires, and now the car is unstable as hell.

It feels like I have balloons back there instead of tires.........as if the sidewalls are paper thin.

So I THINK they changed them to save money or something.

Luckily I have the old tires still.........going to the tire shop today to get the old ones put back on (How many people have done that b4 ..LMAO)......will let you know the result.

The only other thing it could be is they messed something up.........sway bar?..don't know.

z
The tread blocks are not worn, so they’re bigger and wigglier. Also release agent still on tires. Also, check pressures.

Old 07-19-2021, 03:05 PM
5 Year Member
I also think the 06 are "worse" than the previous version. But I also agree with mike410b... check pressures and judge them after few hundred miles, when they no longer have all the manufacturing crap still on them.

I don't replace tires in pairs, always set of four. This is more important when the tires aren't the same (brand, model, or in this case, version). They are different, so they're going to react differently, causing more instability.

I don't know what pressures you run, but I never got decent feel from either version with the factory 33 psi. I had to increase them to about 36-38 to get rid of the wobbly feeling when turning.

According to TireRack, there's a new version, called the 06 plus. But I haven't tried them yet, so I don't know if they're any better. The reviews indicate they are though.

Old 07-19-2021, 04:49 PM
5 Year Member
as mentioned above. Sorry to hear about the accident.

In regards to the tires, i don't have a whole lot of respect for continental.. they don't really stand behind their products in regards to warranty (defects) and irregular wear. though my experience is now outdated, 'm more of a michelin and yokohama person, as was my boss.when i was a tire warranty guy I remember seeing a ton of performance conti tires that were low-profile come in because they all wore out in the middle super prematurely.

If you're within 30 days you may be able to swap them out/return them based on ride quality.
I'm running michelin pilot sport AS 3 plus. They've got great traction and good wear ratings. not as sticky as performance summer tires, these ones lean more towards oversteer than under, but they've never been unstable for me. I'll see if i can pull you some tidbits from the service manual on how to remove that panel later

Old 07-19-2021, 05:55 PM
5 Year Member
Had to go to about 5 different tire shops before one agreed to switch out brand new for almost bald.......will see tomorrow......

z

Old 07-19-2021, 06:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Pyts
as mentioned above. Sorry to hear about the accident.

In regards to the tires, i don't have a whole lot of respect for continental.. they don't really stand behind their products in regards to warranty (defects) and irregular wear. though my experience is now outdated, 'm more of a michelin and yokohama person, as was my boss.when i was a tire warranty guy I remember seeing a ton of performance conti tires that were low-profile come in because they all wore out in the middle super prematurely.

If you're within 30 days you may be able to swap them out/return them based on ride quality.
I'm running michelin pilot sport AS 3 plus. They've got great traction and good wear ratings. not as sticky as performance summer tires, these ones lean more towards oversteer than under, but they've never been unstable for me. I'll see if i can pull you some tidbits from the service manual on how to remove that panel later
Wow......thank you so much!.......Will never buy conti again.......and these are going back.......just want to verify 100% thats the problem........

I drive fast and hard......and need the 'very best tires there is' ......I like stuff made in Japan.......they're about the only ones left in the world that actually give a shit about what they produce.....

Any recomendations?.......I want tires rated to 180mph minimum.........that way when I'm doing 115 I can be reasonably sure I hope that one of em doesn't blow out....that safety recall on Continental tires is totally insane........those tires actually just blow up!!..........At 100, I'd say you'd be toast........

Thank you for any info you can get on that panel......already ordered a new one......I figure by looking at that I can figure out where any hidden fasteners/bolts are....

z

Old 07-19-2021, 06:03 PM
5 Year Member
I run all my tires at the max pressure that's printed on them.....in this case 51PSI..I could give a flying rat's ass about ride quality........I want performance.....Good thought about the taller thread blocks........but that shouldn't make them as freaky as they are now.......even my buddy noticed it in the passenger seat....these things are DANGEROUS!!!

Old 07-19-2021, 06:06 PM
5 Year Member
The very fact they had 97,000 tires recalled is enough to never buy continental again.........and I've got about 50 miles on them now......still wobbly as a 107 year old granny..............lol.....I've NEVER had tires be this screwed up......unbelievable......I think it's in the sidewall.......a condom is probably thicker from the way these ride......lol

z

Old 07-19-2021, 07:47 PM
5 Year Member
Funny stuff, dude
oh, you definitely wanna check the science out behind tire pressure. If a person wants more traction, they actually lower pressure. on trucks out in the sand, they drop into the teens. for people racing cars, porches n all, you'll see numbers floating between 30 and 33 psi. trucks go higher for load capacity, and i imagine drift cars also overinflate

When you overinflate for your vehicle the tire runs on the center of the tread-block. you lose traction. on the other hand, under-inflate and the shoulders of the tire flex too much reducing pressure in the middle of the tread-block. I do believe it yields more traction, but it can destroy tires.
Being in the middle is for performance..
If you want more grip you could get YK580s or other ultra performance summer tires. they turned hard by 20k miles for me, and i felt that the extra grip actually was a little too much for the clutch/engine, but provided temps weren't too low (above freezing) they allowed untrained me to push the car to its limits in cornering.

Old 07-19-2021, 09:55 PM
5 Year Member
My goodness. You’re going to kill someone with your total lack of forethought.

1) Stop going 100+ mph on public roads. You’re not a good driver. Your car is not well equipped to do those speeds either.

2) Running the tires at their max psi rating lessens their grip, it doesn’t raise it.

Of course the person who knows nothing about cars is the one who is behaving in a way that makes anyone who likes cars look bad.

Old 07-19-2021, 10:20 PM
5 Year Member
100+ on Texas Freeways.....not many people on the road......

z

Old 07-19-2021, 10:21 PM
5 Year Member
Maybe I do run the PSI too high........but if I hit something, at least it doesn't bottom to the rim.......and traction is adequate on top of the line tires.......z

Old 07-19-2021, 10:23 PM
5 Year Member
Bottom line, this post is about a dangerous stability problem with Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 tires...........let's keep the focus on that shall we?

I finally found a hole in the wall tire shop that will switch back to my 'baldies'..........we'll all find out tomorrow if my suspicions are correct.

z

Old 07-19-2021, 10:27 PM
5 Year Member
Still looking for the very best tire I can buy, given my driving style.......: Yokohama? Pirelli? Michelin?...etc.

z

Old 07-19-2021, 11:07 PM
5 Year Member
Holy Crap......just did more investigation.......These were made in BRAZIL.......old ones were made in USA...........damn

z

Old 07-19-2021, 11:08 PM
5 Year Member
Currently reviewing ratings at Tire Rack...........

z

Old 07-20-2021, 08:48 AM
5 Year Member
Possibilities:

Michelin Pilot Sport 4S - Size: 215/45ZR17

Bridgestone Potenza RE980AS+ - Size: 215/45R17

Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 - Size: 215/45ZR17

BF Goodrich G-Force COMP-2 A/S PLUS - Size: 215/45ZR17

Old 07-20-2021, 09:56 AM
5 Year Member
No tire is going to save you from yourself.

Old 07-20-2021, 11:12 AM
5 Year Member
I passed through texas on the way to GA. they've got some good drivin' roads, plenty of room for fun. I noticed one stretch of highway that was actually stamped concrete purposed to increase grip for motorcycles, or so the road signs would have me believe!

Anyways, the BFGs have a prettybgood reputation, but they and the Pilot 4s have terrible treadwear ratings (UTQG). Means they're soft (for now) and will burn up in a hurry. If you dont mind changing tires again in two years, ymmv, those are solid performance options. If you get cold weather, don't buy them.

The Pilot all-season variant has a longer treadwear life and is supposed to fair well in poor weather, still perform but you won't feel glued to the road like with the previous tires. Apparently they're prone to oversteer in hard cornering, much like my Pilot AS 3+. they want to turn just a little, but it's controllable.

Pirelli and Continental make some strong competitors, but we're setting conti aside. They're still using the same design that I always saw worn bald in the center.. The Pirellis are well rounded and they recently revised their compound. They used to make pretty hard tires, so that's good news. I like the tread design on their All Season Plus. Large radial grooves can create droning noise, but they're sweet for displacing water.

I'd like to add another option to your list if you're feeling adventurous. The Michelin Crossclimate2.
I wanted to get the regular crossclimate back when they came out, but werent made in my size.
Their traction ratings are underwhelming, but customers freakin love em on tirerack. They've got a long tread life, good warranty (prorated if you wear em out prematurely) and are rated for some serious cold.

it's a toss-up between the Pilot All Season and the Pirellis for the practical enthusiast, crossclimates for the adventurer (they'll likely hurt fuel economy with their weird treadblock catching air) People don't seem to like the yokohamas offered in these sizes.

Pilot 4 if you want a taste of summer performance that'll make you smile in curves, but do be safe. all these tires should run at, or a little below 32psi cold (vehicle has been sitting for an hour or so)

Last edited by Pyts; 07-20-2021 at 11:19 AM.
Old 07-20-2021, 06:10 PM
5 Year Member
Ok....it's confirmed......put the old ones back on and the ride is WAY better.....back to normal........returned the new ones and the guy talked me into Continental Sport ones........they seem OK so far....

Haven't had them on the freeway under speed yet......

z

Quick Reply: Continental Extreme Contact DWS 6 Stability Problem