2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Continental Extreme Contact DWS 6 Stability Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2021, 06:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Pyts
I passed through texas on the way to GA. they've got some good drivin' roads, plenty of room for fun. I noticed one stretch of highway that was actually stamped concrete purposed to increase grip for motorcycles, or so the road signs would have me believe!

Anyways, the BFGs have a prettybgood reputation, but they and the Pilot 4s have terrible treadwear ratings (UTQG). Means they're soft (for now) and will burn up in a hurry. If you dont mind changing tires again in two years, ymmv, those are solid performance options. If you get cold weather, don't buy them.

The Pilot all-season variant has a longer treadwear life and is supposed to fair well in poor weather, still perform but you won't feel glued to the road like with the previous tires. Apparently they're prone to oversteer in hard cornering, much like my Pilot AS 3+. they want to turn just a little, but it's controllable.

Pirelli and Continental make some strong competitors, but we're setting conti aside. They're still using the same design that I always saw worn bald in the center.. The Pirellis are well rounded and they recently revised their compound. They used to make pretty hard tires, so that's good news. I like the tread design on their All Season Plus. Large radial grooves can create droning noise, but they're sweet for displacing water.

I'd like to add another option to your list if you're feeling adventurous. The Michelin Crossclimate2.
I wanted to get the regular crossclimate back when they came out, but werent made in my size.
Their traction ratings are underwhelming, but customers freakin love em on tirerack. They've got a long tread life, good warranty (prorated if you wear em out prematurely) and are rated for some serious cold.

it's a toss-up between the Pilot All Season and the Pirellis for the practical enthusiast, crossclimates for the adventurer (they'll likely hurt fuel economy with their weird treadblock catching air) People don't seem to like the yokohamas offered in these sizes.

Pilot 4 if you want a taste of summer performance that'll make you smile in curves, but do be safe. all these tires should run at, or a little below 32psi cold (vehicle has been sitting for an hour or so)
Hey Thanks a lot for all that info!!

z

Old 07-21-2021, 09:35 AM
5 Year Member
I'm starting to think the Michelin Pilot Super Sport is the best option.....seem to be the higherst rated...a number of years ago at least: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=148

This article is good also....has the Vredestein Quatrac 5 at the top (Michelin PSS is #2) : https://www.autoguide.com/the-10-bes...-you-need-them

One thing has me puzzled.......there are no lateral channels on the Michelin PSS..so where does the water go in wet driving?.....maybe the grooves are enough.....

z

Last edited by Zardiw; 07-21-2021 at 09:38 AM.
Old 07-21-2021, 12:15 PM
5 Year Member
I dont think either of those come in sizes that fit either of our vehicles.

dumb speculation:
Unfortunately I cant really answer about lateral grooves. tires don't have ratings for acceptable depth of rain on the ground, and no one I worked with knew any better.
​​​​I imagine that the effectiveness of a treadblock design would be subject to the weight of a given vehicle and how that weight is distributed. That said, more and more effective sipes should be better for rain, worse for dry. To compensate for the lack of information, we get generalized traction ratings..

Old 07-26-2021, 03:53 PM
5 Year Member
Ok....Here's the Bottom Line......They convinced me to try Conti SRS's. They were a lot better than the DWS 06's, but still not right.

I did a TON more research and settled on Bridgestone Potenza RE980A/S and had those installed.

Consumer Reports did a review of those and Dry/Wet/Handling were all Top Rated....

Driving these is amazing. I'm back to having a car I can control.

Will be putting those on the front also, once what I have there has worn out a bit more.

z