2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Bilstein B14 "coilover"

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2021, 12:57 AM
5 Year Member
Old 06-25-2021, 01:12 AM
5 Year Member
So, this just came in today.

There's some good news and some disappointing news about this kit. I've only examined and weighed the front dampers.

Right away, I can see that the height adjustment range is a little more than 2 inches (52mm).. YET the Bilstein product page indicates that the adjustment range is 0 to 30mm.
How strange. The Tirerack product page indicates that the adjustment range is 30 to 50mm. I used to think this meant the kit would lower the car 30mm to 50mm but now it appears to be saying that the fronts can go as low as 50mm but the rears will only go 30mm. It's all very strange.. to be honest.

Anyways, this is the good news. I wanted a greater adjustment range.

Here's the slightly disappointing news:

I weighed the front dampers and they're 7.1 lbs. This is a nice improvement against the TEIN front dampers of 9.5 lbs. (I still have the TEINS btw) HOWEVER since this is an
INVERTED MONOTUBE design, the weight of the damper body (bottom) vs the weight of the inverted monotube damper (top) matters. The top is considered sprung weight (because it basically mounts to the chassis) and the bottom is unsprung because it moves up and down---so we want most of the weight to be concentrated at the top. The reality is exactly the reverse. Most of the weight is actually at the bottom. I would estimate that about 4 lbs. is the damper body, and about 3 lbs. is the top. This is still a nice improvement against the TEINs which is all unsprung weight at 9.5 lbs. These are only about 4 lbs. unsprung. It's still a welcome improvement but not as much as I fantasized about.

The front coil springs are 4.8 lbs. versus the TEIN front springs at 3.2 lbs. Since coil springs are about half unsprung, half sprung, we can say that entire strut is about 5 to 6 lbs. of unsprung weight. Coil springs are half unsprung, half sprung.

More info later as I examine the kit in more detail and do measurements.

Last edited by hmarkop; 06-25-2021 at 01:25 AM.
Old 06-27-2021, 12:15 PM
5 Year Member
Some interesting tidbit: the spring seats on this kit have an internal diameter (ID) of 62mm which is a pretty standard coilover spring size. For example, BC racing using 62mm ID coilover springs. Swift also makes many springs in this size.

This means some adjustments are possible in case, in case I want Swift springs to adjust the comfort/handling (unlikely.)

-------------------------------------Front damper 7.1 lbs. (weighed about 7 times)

bottom heavy bias about 65% to 35%

(or 60% to 40%, estimate)

front coil spring 4.8 lbs.

Front damper part no. f4-ve3-g587-h2

Rear coil springs 4.0 lbs.

Rear dampers 3.8 lbs. (weighed with the box which contains

the nut, the washer, and the dust cover)
Compare this to TEIN Street Basis rear dampers at 5.8 lbs.

--------------------------------------------

Last edited by hmarkop; 06-27-2021 at 12:25 PM.
Old 06-27-2021, 08:05 PM
From what I have read, if these are set to low(lowest end of range to below) for your specific setup then it will engage the first bumpstop and the ride will be harsh and lacking the good qualities that the shock offers.

I am considering a set of these on a 2010 Sport with 103K miles to improve rigidity on the road. This set from all of the research I have done indicates that the ride quality is not too harsh if set correctly (probably be best to set in 1/4 inch increments) and it is one of the few sets where you can retain stock ride height. This seems perfect to have true maximum adjustability. I want to run this set and lower it about 10-15mm (approx .5 inch) but not have any rubbing on 16" Rotas or go 15" Rotas with the 40mm backspacing in and out of those giant apartment complex speed bumps and large drainage dips in the road (my Fit is a delivery car). These shocks seem like the real deal if you're looking for performance/ride quality. There is youtube video where the guy takes the shock apart and you can get a sense of the mechanics and the inverted design.

Why so much concern with the bottom heavy design?

Last edited by speedracer92lx; 06-27-2021 at 08:09 PM.
Old 06-27-2021, 08:13 PM
5 Year Member
Interesting stuff so far, thanks for sharing! I'd never looked into inverted monotube design until seeing this thread, though I'd heard about Showa's from the dirt bike community.
I still don't fully grasp the significance of operational difference (like why a thicker piston can't be used in the traditional design), though I'm now informed that the weight positioning you mentioned is inherent in the design type. From what I understand, the trade-off of inverted monotubes is longevity v. stability/performance (shorter travel distance?)

Apparently, the longevity issues pertain to internal guides and the way fluid moves in 'em. I'd have to imagine that if one were to make that kinda compromise the performance would need to justify it.
I've looked up the B14s before and never saw any mention of their being inverted.

Old 06-28-2021, 01:33 AM
The Bilstein's and monotubes in general are more reliable under harsh conditions since the gas pressure is more stable and there is more damping force available. WHen reading on Bilstein's website, their explanation is the larger surface area of the piston results in better handling, consistency, and service life.

Old 07-02-2021, 11:52 AM
5 Year Member
There seems to be a few B14 kits for the Honda Fit (Jazz). For example, this is specced for a UK 2013 Jazz 1.5L:

47-165854
Fitting Position Front Axle Lowering ca. [mm] 0-30 mm
Fitting Position Rear Axle Lowering ca. [mm] 0-30 mm

47-172401
Fitting Position Front Axle Lowering ca. [mm] 20-45 mm
Fitting Position Rear Axle Lowering ca. [mm] 15-45 mm

This is a good catalogue to get started. I don't know the difference between the parts on the kit but maybe this helps.
Passenger car

Old 08-14-2021, 11:00 AM
5 Year Member
So, the car has been on jack stands in the garage for over a month but last week, I finally got around to installing the Bilsteins (I've been using my other daily driver: a 2007 Corolla with Bilstein B12 on it.) Here's my review:

If you'll recall, these replace the TEIN Street Basis I have had on for a few months. The TEINs were a no-compromise improvement upon the stock suspension which I absolutely despise. I found the stock suspension to be extremely vague and loosy-goosy. The weight transfer were just all over the place, at highway speeds, it sometimes felt like there was no contact with the road. I absolutely hated it. Were there no options to improve upon this, I would have to sell the car.

So, the TEINs are better than stock in every way, there isn't a single aspect that I would say the stocks were better. However, I still found the TEINs too soft for my liking, so I decided to try these Bilsteins: The Bilsteins ARE BETTER than the TEINs in MOST ways with the exception of ride smoothness. The side to side, front and back movements are better controlled. The car feels more planted at highway speeds too. Body roll is further reduced in comparison to the TEINs.

These are still quite comfortable, there's no harshness at all.
HOWEVER, the TEIN ride smoothness is unmatched... I will miss this aspect of the ride. One might wonder: if the TEINs are so smooth, does this mean the stock suspension is even more smooth? NO. The stock suspension may be 'soft' but it comes at the cost of this feeling of instability. That's not the kind of smoothness I want.

So, anyways, we have to conclude with the question of, "are the Bilsteins worth it?"
Absolutely. Bilsteins are known for being super-reliable, so you'll get an improved suspension for the life of your car.

Personally, I probably would have been happy enough with TEINs in spite of the imperfections because the Bilsteins cost 2X as much. This is a Honda Fit after all.
Oh well, what's spent is spent.

If the perfect coilover for the Fit suspension is a 100 on some imaginary scale.
The Bilsteins feel like a 75 or 80.
I would rate the TEINs as a 65.
The stocks suspension would be 40.

--------------------------addendum-----------------------------------
My other daily driver the 2007 Corolla has Bilstein B12 (Bilstein B8 short dampers + Eibach Pro-Kit) on it, and in comparison these feel more compliant and smoother. ​​

Last edited by hmarkop; 08-14-2021 at 11:06 AM.
Old 08-30-2021, 02:48 PM
5 Year Member
I'm going to change my personal score for the Bilsteins: once I raised the front height (thus giving the dampers more stroke length) they perform...... BETTER

Even less body roll, better control, everything was better. I had them set at -1.75 inches (which is out of spec)

Once I got them in spec at -1.0 inch (they perform better)

Now to experiment by raising the rear and the front another half inch or so..

Old 09-13-2021, 11:02 PM
I'm gonna follow this thread. While I will probably never buy this kit, I do like the Bilstein brand as they make superior products. I wanna lower my car now that I've been bitten by the "new wheels bug" and our cars really need to be lowered when a more aggressive wheel is installed, but I don't want to face all the compromises inherent with lowering my car, which apparently, coilovers fix. What attracts me to the Teins is obviously, the price and the smooth ride. I'm 43-years old and while I still love a nice understated tuner car, my little Fit has to remain comfortable, and if it can look better and ride better than stock, I'm all for that. But better control is a plus, and might just be worth the extra $450-500 for this Bilstein kit. Keep us posted!

Old 09-14-2021, 07:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jose_rodz348
I'm gonna follow this thread. While I will probably never buy this kit, I do like the Bilstein brand as they make superior products. I wanna lower my car now that I've been bitten by the "new wheels bug" and our cars really need to be lowered when a more aggressive wheel is installed, but I don't want to face all the compromises inherent with lowering my car, which apparently, coilovers fix. What attracts me to the Teins is obviously, the price and the smooth ride. I'm 43-years old and while I still love a nice understated tuner car, my little Fit has to remain comfortable, and if it can look better and ride better than stock, I'm all for that. But better control is a plus, and might just be worth the extra $450-500 for this Bilstein kit. Keep us posted!
I think for you, the TEIN Street Basis might be perfect... do consider the "Street Advance" though as it allows some adjustability. I haven't tested that kit myself but it seems you can adjust it to perform exactly like the Street Basis, or go a little firmer.

Old 09-15-2021, 01:03 AM
Originally Posted by hmarkop
I think for you, the TEIN Street Basis might be perfect... do consider the "Street Advance" though as it allows some adjustability. I haven't tested that kit myself but it seems you can adjust it to perform exactly like the Street Basis, or go a little firmer.
I just ordered the Swift Mach Sport springs instead. From what I've read on here, they're a great addition to stock dampers and the drop isn't that extreme, which is what I'm honestly looking for. Coilovers would have been nice, but I think for now, I'll be happy with only having spent $308 for a part that's proven itself reliable and will work with my intended plans of making my car perform slightly better while looking better in the process. Now I just have to decide on the wheels:

Or:

I'm leaning towards the Drag's because of the color, although the Enkeis can be painted to match, hehe.

Old 09-15-2021, 07:11 AM
5 Year Member
I heard great things about Swift springs, apparently it's often paired with Koni orange shocks and many ppl are happy. I still recommend the TEINs though, based on reputation they are quite reliable and won't blow shortly. They're also perfectly matched to each other, the springs and dampers that is.

As for the wheels, I would be leery of the "Drags," pay attention to the weight of the wheel. If they're heavy, they are taxing against the suspension system. My vote is for the RPF1.