2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Help on installing this usb socket in 2010

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2021, 01:01 AM
Help on installing this usb socket in 2010

Hi, I’m a new user but have read this site for a long time.

I have a 2010 fit and want to install this usb socket in one of the spots on the switch panel.

MOTONG 2.1A Dual USB Socket for Honda - Honda 2.1A Dual USB Power Socket Port for Mobile Phone 12/11/8/7/6/5, iPad, Samsung,LG,Huawei and More(44 26mm) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EL5FK22/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_69JQYX7SSZEYH1W3WC4C?_ encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I know it will fit properly but there are no clear instructions for installation.
Could someone here help explain how to install this and what else i would need to order to properly install?
thanks

Old 06-15-2021, 06:34 PM
5 Year Member
My 2013 Fit has a power port on the dash just above the console. I'm guessing your GE8 is the same. This port has keyed power- meaning it's only powered up when the ignition key is in the on position. When you turn the ignition key to off, the power to this port also goes off. If you want to only charge your phone when your ignition switch is on, the easiest plan is to buy an adaptor that plugs into your power port, and charge your phone with that existing power port.

I like to charge my phone when I'm parked sometimes, so I pulled the power port plastic panel off the dash and removed the oem charging wire to the port. I then ran a new wire that's hot all the time from the fuse box, which is behind the big plastic panel under the steering wheel. I used a "add a circuit" adaptor with a built in fuse that piggy backs an existing fuse in the fuse box and adds a new dedicated fused power source to the power port. That allows me to charge my phone when I'm driving the car and also when I'm parked and the ignition switch is off..

Old 06-15-2021, 06:47 PM
Originally Posted by 56chevydan
My 2013 Fit has a power port on the dash just above the console. I'm guessing your GE8 is the same. This port has keyed power- meaning it's only powered up when the ignition key is in the on position. When you turn the ignition key to off, the power to this port also goes off. If you want to only charge your phone when your ignition switch is on, the easiest plan is to buy an adaptor that plugs into your power port, and charge your phone with that existing power port.

I like to charge my phone when I'm parked sometimes, so I pulled the power port plastic panel off the dash and removed the oem charging wire to the port. I then ran a new wire that's hot all the time from the fuse box, which is behind the big plastic panel under the steering wheel. I used a "add a circuit" adaptor with a built in fuse that piggy backs an existing fuse in the fuse box and adds a new dedicated fused power source to the power port. That allows me to charge my phone when I'm driving the car and also when I'm parked and the ignition switch is off..

Thanks for the reply.
Im currently using the power port with an adapter to charge my phone, but I’d rather have the usb outlets on the switch panel to the left of the steering wheel because that’s where I have my phone mount and currently have to run my iPhone cable around the steering wheel.

I’m hoping someone on here has installed this outlet and can help point out which adapter to connect it to the fuse panel and which fuse id need to piggy back off of to get power only when the ignition is on

Old 06-22-2021, 06:12 PM
I used a littelfuse adapter from O'Reilly. Part number fhlm0200zpa. Plugged it into the 13 spot in the fuse box. I ran the ground wire to the bolt at the top of the fuse box. This was done on a 09.

Old 06-26-2021, 09:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by patricks
Thanks for the reply.
Im currently using the power port with an adapter to charge my phone, but I’d rather have the usb outlets on the switch panel to the left of the steering wheel because that’s where I have my phone mount and currently have to run my iPhone cable around the steering wheel.

I’m hoping someone on here has installed this outlet and can help point out which adapter to connect it to the fuse panel and which fuse id need to piggy back off of to get power only when the ignition is on
Check out the attached Youtube video and it will explain how to add a fuse from your fuse box to power your phone charger. The Fit fuse box is located under the steering column and near where you want to install your phone charging adaptor. It looks like the adaptor you want to use has two black wires and two red wires coming from it. The black wires should be twisted together and grounded to a metal ground source near the fuse box. The red wires should also be twisted together and connected to your new power lead from the fuse box.

Old 06-27-2021, 09:34 PM
Originally Posted by 56chevydan
Check out the attached Youtube video and it will explain how to add a fuse from your fuse box to power your phone charger. The Fit fuse box is located under the steering column and near where you want to install your phone charging adaptor. It looks like the adaptor you want to use has two black wires and two red wires coming from it. The black wires should be twisted together and grounded to a metal ground source near the fuse box. The red wires should also be twisted together and connected to your new power lead from the fuse box. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8b9CvUMcNQo

thanks for the info!
the part came today and it has two of each color wires but also an adapter that connects them and makes it into one of each red and black wires that are stripped on each end.
the red wire also has a fuse in between the adapter and the single red wire.

so I have the addafuse connected to the red wire into fuse 13, then get a ground ring to the black wire and screw that under the screw above the fuse box. Will I need to add another fuse in the addafuse adaptor? Or will the fuse that’s included in the socket work alone?

I’ll try to upload pictures if my description isn’t good enough.

Old 06-27-2021, 10:20 PM
On the fuse adapter I used the fuse I pulled out of 13 went into the bottom slot and new charger ports went into the top slot of the adapter.

Old 06-28-2021, 01:39 AM
5 Year Member
You never want to run two fuses in a circuit. Cut the fuse out of the new charging adaptor red wire and use/rely only on the fuse in the add a fuse.

Remember to install the fuse you pulled from the #13 position in your car's fuse box into the lower position in the add a fuse, and then place the fuse that came attached to your charging adaptor into the upper position in the add a fuse. The lower fuse in the add a fuse will protect your original #13 circuit independantly and the upper fuse will independantly protect your new phone charger circuit.