2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Honda CR-Z Suspension on Fit, a New Discovery!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2021, 09:19 AM
5 Year Member
Honda CR-Z Suspension on Fit, a New Discovery!!

Hello Guys, You may know me,i own both k-swapped Cr-Z and a Fit. Both are turbo. Point of this post is.
My Fit was an hybrid,when i did K-Swap the rear was lifted way higher because 170 LB batteries were no more in rear. I installed Tein coilovers but they were too low for my taste, even on highest settings. Because roads are rough here and speed bump/breakers are huge. Car hit every one on them.
On CR-Z i am using Tanabe's coilovers. One day i was in my garage storage room and both stock shock & springs were there,I put them side by side and viola, the crz were 1.5 inch shorter and springs were stiffer. They were boltons. Now i have no more worries about dampers under stress because those CR-Z springs and shocks/dampers are meant for each other.Not like people use lowering springs which put much stress on OEM shocks.
From net search i know the Honda Fit GE body is stiffer, thats why Honda used softer suspension to make ride quality comfortable. CR-Z body is not so rigid so Honda made its suspension stiffer. So now we have a better & cheap alternative than those lowering springs which put stress on OEM shocks. And more handling too. You can find stock CR-Z ones cheap online becasue most of CR-Z guys are on coilovers.( Don't share this post to CR-Z guys or else the rates will go higher :P )
Here are the springs rates.
CR-Z 2011.(Dont know about upper models)
Front : 2.2kg/mm
Rear 3.4kg/mm
Honda Fit/Jazz Ge(2008-12)
F1.7k
R 2.0k
For those who are thinking
Fit GD has spring rates of F 3.1 / R4.9.

CR-Z vs Fit Shocks/spring comparison

Left Fit ,right CR-Z

Fit left , CR-Z right

It gives it that stance look and dont hits the bumps so often and has OEM Honda reliablity and more handling. Best of both worlds

Last edited by Fit Hybrid RS 2012; 02-04-2021 at 12:57 PM.
Old 01-31-2021, 10:53 AM
5 Year Member
This is a absolutely GREAT find----but there is one question: is your GE exactly the same as our GE in North America? I think the answer is LIKELY but some confirmation would be nice!

DId you happen to take any pictures of the front struts comparisonS?

Correction: KYB makes aftermarket dampers for the CR-Z (but no "Strut Plus")

Last edited by hmarkop; 01-31-2021 at 11:15 AM.
Old 01-31-2021, 11:03 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hmarkop
This is a absolutely GREAT find----but there is one question: is your GE exactly the same as our GE in North America? I think the answer is LIKELY but some confirmation would be nice!

DId you happen to take any pictures of the front struts comparisonS?
The USA Fit has longer nose(hood/engine bay) to meat USA safety rules. Other than that same.
I have kept both front springs/shocks same as they were because for traction in FWD car rear needs to be stiffer than front so that when car accelerates the front is not lifted and tyres loose traction. Thats why in both my rides fronts are OEM ones. You know K24 Turbo @ 511hp and 400 WTQ is a lot for a FWD. Thats why...

Old 01-31-2021, 03:58 PM
5 Year Member
I think I would want to swap the FRONT too, I think the loosy-goosy sway and movement of my fit has more to do with the front than the rear.

What do you know about the CrZ and GE8 FRONT strut compatibility, is it also just bolt-on ? ?
--------------

WHAT I WANT TO DO IS TO UTILIZE THE SHOCKS AND DAMPERS FROM THE CRZ WHICH ****PRESUMABLY****** ARE VALVED STIFFER TO HANDLE THE STIFFER SPRINGS

AND TO USE THESE SHOCKS AND DAMPERS FOR A LOWERING SPRING!!!!!!!!

MAKES SENSE RIGHT??????

Last edited by hmarkop; 01-31-2021 at 04:01 PM.
Old 01-31-2021, 09:25 PM
5 Year Member
--------------

WHAT I WANT TO DO IS TO UTILIZE THE SHOCKS AND DAMPERS FROM THE CRZ WHICH ****PRESUMABLY****** ARE VALVED STIFFER TO HANDLE THE STIFFER SPRINGS

AND TO USE THESE SHOCKS AND DAMPERS FOR A LOWERING SPRING!!!!!!!!

MAKES SENSE RIGHT??????
Exactly thats my point. We have a OEM Honda Option for better handling and lowering car height. I am sure fronts would be boltons too.i have both cars standing side by side all the time. I have't seen a single differnece so far in dampers and shocks so far. But i have't fitted the front ones,so cant be sure.
Here are some posts i found.
https://www.crzforum.com/threads/wil...fit-crz.56634/

https://www.crzforum.com/threads/wil...fit-crz.56634/

Some one is saying the tie rod mounting point is slighly different?(LOL)

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...-question.html

I have tried rear ones,why not you try front ones and report us?

Last edited by Fit Hybrid RS 2012; 01-31-2021 at 09:42 PM.
Old 01-31-2021, 09:39 PM
5 Year Member
Tie-rods?? Is there a misunderstanding here?

The tie-rods connect to the steering knuckle (I think) and not to the strut in any way.. I think

BTW, KYB makes front and rear dampers for the CRZ (presumably they match the OEM specs and are thus perfect OEM replacements at 1/4 the price.)

I haven't seen any other aftermarket companies make dampers for the CRZ.

Old 01-31-2021, 09:41 PM
5 Year Member
Tie-rods?? Is there a misunderstanding here?

The tie-rods connect to the steering knuckle (I think) and not to the strut in any way.. I think

BTW, KYB makes front and rear dampers for the CRZ (presumably they match the OEM specs and are thus perfect OEM replacements at 1/4 the price.)

I haven't seen any other aftermarket companies make dampers for the CRZ.
Yes i was too suprised to read that. Just shared what i found in that post. i think fronts will work fine for us too.

Old 01-31-2021, 11:51 PM
Do you have any idea how much this lowers the car? This would actually be a good alternative to coils/lowering springs for me depending on how much it lowers the car.

Old 02-01-2021, 01:48 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by oldyeller
Do you have any idea how much this lowers the car? This would actually be a good alternative to coils/lowering springs for me depending on how much it lowers the car.
I think it will be around 1 inch lower.
and i have not measured front ones,but both are stading alongside each other. I can jack them up(to take out any bias due to engine/car weight) and measure the strut / spring or some other heights,that will give some idea but will not be accurate as taking them out of car and measuring them

Old 02-01-2021, 10:49 AM
5 Year Member
I want to hug you. ive found rear springs on ebay, but no fronts yet. 😂 This has potential to be done within budget! Rear springs used going for 40 bucks.
Say, are the seats in the CRZ mounted the same/any more comfortable?

Last edited by Pyts; 02-01-2021 at 11:06 AM.
Old 02-03-2021, 03:46 PM
5 Year Member
I found a lot of the suspension bits to be interchangeable when I did the refresh of my car...was pretty cool!

Old 02-04-2021, 12:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Pyts
I want to hug you. ive found rear springs on ebay, but no fronts yet. 😂 This has potential to be done within budget! Rear springs used going for 40 bucks.
Say, are the seats in the CRZ mounted the same/any more comfortable?
Glad i could help.i have uploaded new pictures in my 1st post.check them out

Old 02-06-2021, 11:24 AM
Originally Posted by Fit Hybrid RS 2012
Hello Guys, You may know me,i own both k-swapped Cr-Z and a Fit. Both are turbo. Point of this post is.
My Fit was an hybrid,when i did K-Swap the rear was lifted way higher because 170 LB batteries were no more in rear. I installed Tein coilovers but they were too low for my taste, even on highest settings. Because roads are rough here and speed bump/breakers are huge. Car hit every one on them.
On CR-Z i am using Tanabe's coilovers. One day i was in my garage storage room and both stock shock & springs were there,I put them side by side and viola, the crz were 1.5 inch shorter and springs were stiffer. They were boltons. Now i have no more worries about dampers under stress because those CR-Z springs and shocks/dampers are meant for each other.Not like people use lowering springs which put much stress on OEM shocks.
From net search i know the Honda Fit GE body is stiffer, thats why Honda used softer suspension to make ride quality comfortable. CR-Z body is not so rigid so Honda made its suspension stiffer. So now we have a better & cheap alternative than those lowering springs which put stress on OEM shocks. And more handling too. You can find stock CR-Z ones cheap online becasue most of CR-Z guys are on coilovers.( Don't share this post to CR-Z guys or else the rates will go higher :P )
Here are the springs rates.
CR-Z 2011.(Dont know about upper models)
Front : 2.2kg/mm
Rear 3.4kg/mm
Honda Fit/Jazz Ge(2008-12)
F1.7k
R 2.0k
For those who are thinking
Fit GD has spring rates of F 3.1 / R4.9.

CR-Z vs Fit Shocks/spring comparison

Left Fit ,right CR-Z

Fit left , CR-Z right

It gives it that stance look and dont hits the bumps so often and has OEM Honda reliablity and more handling. Best of both worlds
Intresting find for sure.

Old 03-15-2021, 01:18 AM
How does the ride feel over stock?

Old 03-15-2021, 01:26 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Can_It_Fit
How does the ride feel over stock?
Actually i forgot how stock one rided because i was on coilovers for last 4 years.but its definetely batter than coilovers(comfort wise) and its slightly stiffer than stock( if my memory serves me right)