2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Notorious grinding on start 2nd gen Fit

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2020, 10:26 PM
Notorious grinding on start 2nd gen Fit

Sounds a lot like this CRV
Has anyone with a second gen experienced this and had it diagnosed? What can I expect? I talked to the dealership about this and they informed me there isn't a VCT Actuator on my engine (2010 Fit) so that's ruled out.
I'm taking it in Wednesday to have it diagnosed - just looking for stories from anyone who's had experience with this.
Mine only happens if the car has been sitting all night.

Old 11-16-2020, 05:37 AM
5 Year Member
Old 11-16-2020, 09:41 AM
5 Year Member
As Steve37 has suggested, probably a starter getting ready to fail.

Old 11-16-2020, 11:34 AM
5 Year Member
I stopped in at my local Honda dealer and asked the service manager about it. He said "most likely the solenoid"
I asked if they did the fix, would they replace just the solenoid? He answered "No..we only replace it and the starter as one. And the average bill is $650"

Old 11-16-2020, 11:37 AM
Originally Posted by steve37
I stopped in at my local Honda dealer and asked the service manager about it. He said "most likely the solenoid"
I asked if they did the fix, would they replace just the solenoid? He answered "No..we only replace it and the starter as one. And the average bill is $650"
ouch did you get it replaced?

Old 11-16-2020, 12:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by marsrover
ouch did you get it replaced?
No...I will do it myself, if it gets worse.
Since the cold weather, I have been parking it in the garage overnight. It hasn't 'hung-up' since.
As someone else said on here...if you turn the key to start, without allowing the engine to fire up, it doesn't hang-up the next time. Sometimes twice works better than once.
Try that with yours.

Old 11-16-2020, 02:32 PM
My car makes the exact same noise on colder mornings. Sorry to hear Honda’s being a pain about it, my experiences with them have been similar. If you end up fixing it, let us know how it goes! I’d love to find a permanent solution to this issue.

Old 11-16-2020, 03:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BaySFit
My car makes the exact same noise on colder mornings. Sorry to hear Honda’s being a pain about it, my experiences with them have been similar. If you end up fixing it, let us know how it goes! I’d love to find a permanent solution to this issue.
I don't think Honda is being a pain....it is a 10 year old car. I wouldn't expect them to stand behind the repair.
Have you tried the 'almost starting..but not' procedure?

Old 11-16-2020, 03:11 PM
Is this the same as turning the key to start as you were talking about previously? I'm willing to try this today - as I haven't started my car yet I've been working from home all day.

Can you clarify? As I understand it, turn the key to start first and wait a few then try to start it?

Old 11-16-2020, 03:23 PM
5 Year Member
Is this the same as turning the key to start as you were talking about previously? I'm willing to try this today - as I haven't started my car yet I've been working from home all day.

Can you clarify? As I understand it, turn the key to start first and wait a few then try to start it?

No problem! When your Fit has been sitting and is stone cold, turn the key to start. As soon as you hear the engine turn over...turn the key back to off. Do this twice without starting the engine.
On the third time...start it as normal until the engine runs. (no need to wait between key turns)

On mine..the third start is normal with no grinding. (so far!)

Last edited by steve37; 11-16-2020 at 03:32 PM.
Old 11-16-2020, 03:30 PM
I don't think Honda is being a pain....it is a 10 year old car. I wouldn't expect them to stand behind the repair.
I hear you and agree, I’m just not all that happy that Honda always throws big numbers at me when I go in for repairs. Typically, I’ve been able to do most of the repairs myself for less than half of the cost. That said, I appreciate being able to go to them and get second opinions and help when needed. They are experts and I recognize them as such, but I’m constantly reminded that their hourly costs are on the higher side. Like I said, either way, I still appreciate them. I will give your procedure a try and I’ll be back with updates. Thanks for the help Steve

Old 11-16-2020, 03:46 PM
5 Year Member
^^^ Keep us posted.
My local Honda dealer has treated me very fairly....so I didn't question their rate for the starter replacement.
Just last month, I had my 98 Prelude in for the first timing belt replacement. They did the whole thing (including water pump replacement) for less than the initial quote.
The final bill was $880 and that included the free two day use of a 2020 HR-V. I was expecting more....very happy.

Last edited by steve37; 11-16-2020 at 03:48 PM.
Old 11-16-2020, 05:28 PM
^^^ Keep us posted.
My local Honda dealer has treated me very fairly....so I didn't question their rate for the starter replacement.
Just last month, I had my 98 Prelude in for the first timing belt replacement. They did the whole thing (including water pump replacement) for less than the initial quote.
The final bill was $880 and that included the free two day use of a 2020 HR-V. I was expecting more....very happy.
That sounds more than fare! It also sounds like I need to make your local dealer my own haha. I’m glad you’ve had good experiences! I can’t complain too much about my own, since my dealer has been good to me too, just a tad quick to throw big numbers at me. At least they’re upfront and honest, can’t ask for much more than that. At this point, the mechanics there know that I typically come in to get estimates and ask questions before making any big decisions. They’ve been very kind and helpful in my experience as well!

Last edited by BaySFit; 11-16-2020 at 05:54 PM.
Old 11-16-2020, 09:33 PM
5 Year Member
The flat rate labor for this job is about 2 hours. So you might want to check with some independent garages before using the dealership.
Might be able to save some money going that route as a suggestion.

Old 11-18-2020, 02:09 PM
Just a note: in the description of the OP's video, it says, "Issue was with the "cam actuator gear assembly" part #14310R44A01, Act. Assy., 46T VTC." Just wanted to point that out.

Old 11-19-2020, 05:16 PM
Yep, it's the starter guys. $800 bill at the dealership. ouch lol

Old 11-20-2020, 04:31 PM
Yep, it's the starter guys. $800 bill at the dealership. ouch lol
Sounds like you let the dealer take care of the issue, did they mention replacing anything else or just the starter? Just wondering because I’m thinking about replacing my own starter. The task seems a bit invasive, much like the valve adjustments, but I did those myself so I figured this won’t be too difficult. I replaced the starter on my brother’s 2005 Toyota Camry recently, seems like that was a lot more simple than the Fit will be, but still, I’m feeling up for the task.