2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

My Fit needed more transmission fluid than recommended

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2020, 11:52 PM
5 Year Member
My Fit needed more transmission fluid than recommended

I drained my ATF by removing the 3/8 in bolt at the bottom. To my understanding, the spec calls for 2.8 qts but when I refilled it using more than that (3qts), it still wasn't enough to meet the indicated xxx lines on the dipstick. I had to pour about 3.2 qts in total to get it to the xxx lines on the dipstick. I measured it like how I was supposed to (running the car and then waiting 60 secs to measure the ATF level). Why did my Fit need more ATF than what the spec called for? Is this normal?

Old 10-12-2020, 11:00 PM
5 Year Member
Similar for me when I did my first drain and fill. I drained out 80 oz. (2.50 quarts). Then I put in 80 oz. put the level didn't show on the dipstick. Over the next few days, I did the correct temperature and time wait after shutting off engine thing; adding 2 oz. each check (I didn't want to overfill). Wound up doing it for 3 days, and on the last check, the level was right at the top of the hash marks on the dipstick. The final total that I put in was 90 oz. (2.81 quarts). I googled around and found out that several people had to put more in than they drained out; some of them drained out 2.5 or 2.6 quarts, and had to put in 3 quarts. One thing that I noticed is that the level on the dipstick is pretty sensitive to if the car is level or not. The second time I drained and filled, I was in the driveway with the front of the car a bit higher than the rear. After draining with the car in that position, I jacked the rear of the car up until my bubble level showed the car to be level. I got an extra 6 oz. out doing this. This time, I took out 106.5 oz., but only had to add 99 oz. to get to the proper dipstick level.

Additional: When draining when the drain started getting down to the "drip drip" portion after about 30 minutes, I measured the amount that 10 drips would give me; turned out to be just under 1/4 oz. and the drip rate was 1 drip every 3 seconds.

I would say that if the car is higher in the front than in the rear, you get a lower reading on the dipstick. The next time I drain and fill, I'll check the level first with the front higher, the car level, and the front lower.