2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Starter going bad?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2020, 04:47 PM
5 Year Member
Starter going bad?

In the last few weeks, when starting my GE 08 in the morning, the starter will 'hang on' after releasing the key from the start position for about 1 second.
It makes the same sound as when turning the key to start while the engine is already running.

It seems to happen more often when starting in the morning after an overnight rain.
It always starts the engine ok...but I'm worried about damage that might be occuring.

Should I look at replacing the starter? It's the original and it has 225K miles on it.
If so...how hard is a starter replacement?

Old 10-09-2020, 12:44 AM
5 Year Member
You think there might be some corrosion building up there, Steve?
I'm assuming the battery's been checked just for the hell of it. Clean up the electrical grounds and such with a wirebrush/scuffpad/steelwool or whatever you please.

As for the mechanical stuff, the starter is accessible, however I recall the wires being a pain to get at (replacing clutch, not starter). And the manual calls for you to remove the engine oil dipstick tube at its base, but I and some other folks here have struggled to do that. Can't recall it being absolutely necessary, but if you do need to pull that tube, try putting some short pieces of fuel line over the jaws of your chosen pliers for a non-marring grip. I'll post up the removal procedure for you here, as well as the testing procedure for starter pinion operation (the gear that shoots out)
If you've got time before messing with this, you could try using a marking compound (or maybe chalk or something, have to use your imagination) on the teeth of the pinion and see how well it's engaging.

You could also try giving the starter a firm but not damaging wack with the handle of a screwdriver or some such tool as documented in this other forum here
The idea is, if that fixes it, it's a sticking problem follow soon with a starter replacement.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Starter Inspection Removal.pdf (2.36 MB, 166 views)
Old 10-09-2020, 08:35 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks for that good info.
My battery is almost brand new..and the connections are clean. The car has never failed to start, but if it happens more frequently...I'll fix it before it leaves me stranded.
I would guess it has done it about every 10th start. Each time...grinds for about one second while the engine fires up.
My guess is the solenoid. I'll prob get under there and see if that can be replaced without removing the starter. I'll also look closely for bad connections on the starter and solenoid.

Old 10-30-2020, 04:58 AM
5 Year Member
Thought I would bump this back to the top with the others, with the same problem.
With the cooler, more damp weather coming on here in MI.....It seems to be doing it more often lately.
The car sets outside every night and it only does it from a cold start.

Sounds exactly the same as turning the key to start while the engine is already running.

Old 10-30-2020, 08:40 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by steve37
Thought I would bump this back to the top with the others, with the same problem.
With the cooler, more damp weather coming on here in MI.....It seems to be doing it more often lately.
The car sets outside every night and it only does it from a cold start.

Sounds exactly the same as turning the key to start while the engine is already running.
This might be of some help, this guy is in the rust belt somewhere so your conditions might be similar. Removing the dipstick seems to a tricky thing.
He is also working with the car on a lift and assume you will be in your garage or driveway. Let us know how it goes.

Old 10-30-2020, 12:25 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks fit09....the video will really help if I decide to swap it. (I do have a lift in the garage)
I'm going to see if it happens more often first. I tried what was mentioned in the other thread about just turning the key until it almost starts and then back off. The next try, it works perfectly.
In the next few weeks, the Fit will spend nights in the garage. Being heated..I'm hoping it goes away! With almost a quarter million miles on it...if it gives me another year, I'll be happy.

Last edited by steve37; 10-30-2020 at 12:28 PM.
Old 10-30-2020, 01:05 PM
5 Year Member
Given the number of miles on your car you are lucky to still have the original starter. If it were me I would just go ahead and replace it before it will not start and leave you stranded. Just my two cents...

Old 10-30-2020, 01:58 PM
5 Year Member
^^^ It's a m/t...can't get stranded....lol.
If it gets worse quickly..I'll prob do that.

Old 10-30-2020, 03:23 PM
5 Year Member
The grinding noise you're encountering occasionally is the starter motor gear contacting the teeth on your transmission flywheel and apparently not releasing immediately when you release the key to the run position when the car starts. Eventually- probably sooner than later- this contact could damage the teeth on your flywheel. This could lead to having to remove the transmission to replace the flywheel.

It sounds to me like the sleeve on the front part of the armature in your starter could be binding in the housing when the starter is engaged, possibly from corrosion, and the cold weather starts you're now making are just enough to hang the starter up and not let it release. You, obviously, are the final judge of what repair needs to happen. I agree with fit09 that you need to replace the starter before even more damage happens i.e. to the flywheel.

Last edited by 56chevydan; 10-30-2020 at 03:34 PM.
Old 10-30-2020, 03:47 PM
5 Year Member
^^^ If it increases in frequency....I'll def do that or swap it for something else.
As of now...I'm not in danger of getting stranded....just wondering what is causing the noise.
I only paid $4K for the car four years ago. It's been great, but I can't expect it to go forever.

Old 10-30-2020, 05:16 PM
5 Year Member
I remember watching a video of someone who took the starter out of the Honda Fit because it's famous for making that grinding noise. Turns out that it just happens in cold weather and it isn't actually something with the starter. He demonstrated the noise happening on a brand new OEM one. Since then I don't worry about it too much. Yes it sounds horrible, but that just appears to be how it functions in colder weather. Mine just crossed 150k miles and I'm sure it's just a matter of time now before the starter goes and I'm stranded lol

Old 10-30-2020, 07:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by seanpatrickk
I remember watching a video of someone who took the starter out of the Honda Fit because it's famous for making that grinding noise. Turns out that it just happens in cold weather and it isn't actually something with the starter. He demonstrated the noise happening on a brand new OEM one. Since then I don't worry about it too much. Yes it sounds horrible, but that just appears to be how it functions in colder weather. Mine just crossed 150k miles and I'm sure it's just a matter of time now before the starter goes and I'm stranded lol

Thanks Sean...that makes my decision easier as to my reason to just keep an eye on it....instead of throwing $650 at a 230K mile car.

Old 11-09-2021, 01:52 PM
5 Year Member
Question Disassemble Starter To Clean & Lubricate?

I'm getting the typical starter grinding when the engine is cold on my 2012 Fit.

Has anyone had success by disassembling the starter solenoid and cleaning and lubricating it?

Old 11-09-2021, 03:42 PM
5 Year Member
Going on the third winter of mine making the same sound. When the overnight temp is close to freezing, it starts the grinding.

I bump the starter..without the car starting. Turn the key again and it starts without grinding...most of the time. The trick is to get the key back fast before starting. (Mine likes to start quickly since I put a full size battery in)

Old 01-26-2023, 12:07 AM
5 Year Member
^^^ It's a m/t...can't get stranded....lol.
If it gets worse quickly..I'll prob do that.
Did you end up replacing the starter ?

My 2010 with 98k miles is having the same problem. Cold mornings i turn the key, car starts, i let go of the key, it grinds for half a second and then no more grinding.

Old 01-26-2023, 05:19 AM
5 Year Member
[QUOTE=rbalach;1474263]Did you end up replacing the starter ?

I sold the Fit last Feb with 265K miles on it and with the original starter. It was still doing the grinding in cold weather, but not any more frequently than earlier.
I replaced the Fit with a 2022 Civic SI.....it's a great car, but I miss the utility of the Fit.

Old 01-31-2023, 10:46 PM
My mechanic said it will cost around $850 to replace the starter. Is that crazy?

Old 02-01-2023, 04:20 PM
5 Year Member
Considering that mine never failed after making the grinding sound for about 100K miles......I would say..Just drive it and if it gets worse, consider replacing it.
$850 is believable....rates are high in today's world.

Old 02-01-2023, 04:36 PM
Considering that mine never failed after making the grinding sound for about 100K miles......I would say..Just drive it and if it gets worse, consider replacing it.
$850 is believable....rates are high in today's world.
it’s quiet when it’s warm outside, so I’m limiting cold starts. Driving it is my plan, too, because I can spend that money right now. I drive a 2011 Fit for a reason. Seems like it could be cheaper, but I can’t do it myself, and you’re right….today’s world…..

Old 02-01-2023, 04:47 PM
5 Year Member
^^^ Try as in post #14

Just be fast on the key to switch it off before it starts.....Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Starter going bad?