2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Doing a clutch

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2020, 12:46 PM
Doing a clutch

Any recommendations on clutch kits? Just need oem replacement.

Oem throw out bearing or clutch kit one?

Gear oil?

Old 09-07-2020, 02:50 PM
5 Year Member
This is an OEM grade clutch replacement for the Fit. Comes with new throw-out bearing and centering tool. As far as transmission fluid the Honda MTF-1 stuff is literally the best out there, and it runs about $6 a quart where I live.

Old 09-07-2020, 06:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Erocks hondas
Any recommendations on clutch kits? Just need oem replacement.

Oem throw out bearing or clutch kit one?

Gear oil?
I went with Exedy clutch kit and a Luk flywheel (I figured I'd be done quicker that way vs. having mine resurfaced or whatever).
Things to complain about: Couldn't find anyone to balance 'em as a pair, or at all. Nobody near me had an arbor small enough to mount 'em on.
The springs on the Exedy clutch. Nothing wrong with them that I've noticed, but they're not the spring within a spring set-up that comes stock.
Feel like the throw out bearing I got was from SFK. Check rockauto and follow the hearts.

I felt like the OEM clutch was too aggressive. This one goes a little easier in regards to engaging first. The luk flywheel was about 1lb less if memory serves.
The blind hole bearing puller by .. I think ABN (will check when home) via Amazon set me back a little in funds. There was something dumb about it.. like something should be threaded for disassembly but isn't. Worked swell nonetheless.
Be sure to pick up some High Temp Urea grease from honda. Goes on the slave cylinder ball chingaderas. The gear shift mechanism also required a special lube if memory serves.

My stock clutch wasn't worn out by 80k miles, however its springs were smashed from rough clutch engagements/dumps.
I wouldn't go back to OEM personally. Might try the clutch kit from Spec.. But it was too pricey.
As for MTF, I run Redline with a partial drain at every oil change (15%). It takes a little longer to heat up but makes stuff less knotchy. At your own risk though. Blackstone Labs has been saying that newer transmissions dont take kindly to aftermarket fluids.

Last edited by Pyts; 09-07-2020 at 06:12 PM.
Old 09-08-2020, 06:33 AM
Why would you want shifting to be less notchy?

Interesting weight saving on fly wheel. I wonder if it will be noticeable. fitfreak post#985015 states the flywheel maybe somewhere around 17lbs,and rotational/unsprung mass is usually the best place to shave a pound or two. it may rev a little faster.

Old 09-08-2020, 12:32 PM
5 Year Member
What was initially intended to be a write-up turned into a cacophony of banging tools and breaking junk.
The Exedy clutch has a narrower pad but still carries the same weight.
I noted the new flywheel at 0.8lbs less. It's a negligible mod to which I'd prefer a fully balanced assembly. But if a flywheel is due, yeah, i think it made a minor difference that fits (despite lack of refinement) in line but behind my small list of other mods. I've been too lazy to prove it if I even can, but that T-Rev knock-off PCV reed valve had a tremendous effect on shifting, making the flywheel feel unencumbered. It was just annoying to plumb the valve in in a fashion that I found to be acceptable (used small diam. copper tubing and burn-in fittings with silver solder and a butane torch), and I'm still hunting for a better air filter for it.
Despite frustration, I still intend to add the T-Rev chingaderas to our other vehicles. just takes a back seat to maintenance.

As for wanting shifting to be less knotchy you made me realize the room for misunderstanding left by my choice of words. The mentioned MTF smooths engagement, doesn't make it less secure. I've also got a weighted shift knob and buddyclub short shifter. I decidedly didn't like having to move into gears with the same amount of force required for an error (like uh, downshifting into first at 25mph). The stuff moves silky smooth and locks in without the sensation of rubbing hard against the sides of channels or scraping teeth. thicker, more protective feeling film on everything.

EDIT: the blind hole bearing puller is by OTC via amazon

Last edited by Pyts; 09-09-2020 at 11:48 AM.