2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Strange high pitched noise - please help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2020, 02:44 PM
Question Strange high pitched noise - please help!

I uploaded this short clip of me driving to YouTube:

In the video you will hear 2 distinct noises. The first noise which you will hear right away is this high pitched squeaking/squealing noise that starts whenever the car is moving. When the car is stationary the noise is not there. The noise happens when I’m pressing the accelerator, but also when I’m not. I noticed that when I hit a bump the noise will stop and then start again a few seconds later. At around the 0:11 second mark in my video, I hit the breaks, and this created the second squeaking noise. My breaks almost never squeal, in fact I haven’t been able to get that second squeal to happen since I took this video.

So the first noise is happening consistently on its own when ever the car is moving, and the second noise happens every now and then (rarely) when I hit the breaks.

Are these noises connected in some way? Is this maybe a belt problem? Any suggestions help! Thank you

Old 08-31-2020, 03:33 PM
Originally Posted by Hondafit11
I uploaded this short clip of me driving to YouTube: https://youtu.be/wTX9CJ-orNc

In the video you will hear 2 distinct noises. The first noise which you will hear right away is this high pitched squeaking/squealing noise that starts whenever the car is moving. When the car is stationary the noise is not there. The noise happens when I’m pressing the accelerator, but also when I’m not. I noticed that when I hit a bump the noise will stop and then start again a few seconds later. At around the 0:11 second mark in my video, I hit the breaks, and this created the second squeaking noise. My breaks almost never squeal, in fact I haven’t been able to get that second squeal to happen since I took this video.

So the first noise is happening consistently on its own when ever the car is moving, and the second noise happens every now and then (rarely) when I hit the breaks.

Are these noises connected in some way? Is this maybe a belt problem? Any suggestions help! Thank you
Hard to say where it’s coming from. First things to check are brakes i.e. pads, rotors, calipers, and e-brake. The fact that it gets louder when you brake makes me thing that’s what it is. Also the bump thing, maybe a pad or seized caliper. Maybe also have your hubs and CV looked at as well.

If its not the brakes and its coming from under the hood, if it’s a slipping belt then turn off the engine, inspect the belt for fraying, heat damage, etc. If its a pulley or idler, you’ll want to check to make sure everything is spinning that’s attached to the accessory belt.

Honestly though the fact that you don’t hear it when you’re stopped, and makes me think its something not related to the engine.

Old 08-31-2020, 07:47 PM
5 Year Member
I would check the front disc brake pads. The pads have a built in thin metal scraper that is installed/adjusted in length so that it starts to scrape on the brake rotor when the pads are worn down excessively.