2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Roof rack for our 2010 Fit

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2020, 09:29 PM
Roof rack for our 2010 Fit

Hi There,
We just purchased a 2010 Honda Fit Sport. Super nice car and low miles and great fuel economy. We are avid kayakers so we have to get a roof rack on top ASAP to haul our kayaks around. Ideally we would like a system that we could put 4 whitewater kayaks up on. Leaning towards the Yakima Baseline model with the fit kit for the Honda 2010 Fit. These are basically clips that attach the rack to the car.
Anyone have any feedback on this system? I looked at some older threads here and saw some had issues with the old style Q tower Yakima with the older clips and some of them sliding around a bit and denting the roof. I am hoping the new Ridgeline version is updated and better.

If you have pics of your Fit with a roof rack on it and can let us know how you like it and if any issues that would be great. Wanting it to be full width bars so that we can hopefully get 4 kayaks stacked in edge on it using the Yakima BigStack uprights.
Thanks so much!

Old 07-23-2020, 10:44 AM
Welcome to FF.

I believe the Baseline is the only type of system from Yakima that will fit your Fit. The Ridgeline system requires roof rails.

I ran the Q-clips system on my Fit for a few months with bicycle carriers on top. I never noticed any denting in the roof. The clips also never slid from their initial mounting points. I imagine that it could be possible if the clips were tightened too much or insufficiently.

The Yakima bars I used were the 48" length. You could use longer bars, but the risk would be hitting your nogging on the bars upon ingress/egress of the car.

Old 07-23-2020, 03:16 PM
thanks so much- nice looking roof rack.

Yakima is experiencing a shortage due to Covid 19 but I was able to find the components today for the baseline system from yakima with the corebar crossbars. My son is putting it together right now so we shall see how it looks real soon!

Old 07-23-2020, 11:31 PM
In the event someone else looks to put a roof rack on their Fit, here are a couple of pictures and a quick update. We went with the Yakima Baseline system with the Corebar crossbars. The bars are 50" long and don't get in the way of ingress/egress of the car. We wanted the longer bars so that we could fit 4 kayaks at once atop the car. If you want to do the same roof rack on your circa 2010 Fit, you would need the following Yakima parts:
4 @ Baseline Towers
2 @ Corebar Cross bars (they have other crossbar options).
2 sets of B-143 Baseclips.

The 2 uprights the kayaks are leaning against are the Yakima Bigstacks. They help a ton with getting more boats on the rack and stabilizing everything.

System fits the Fit very well. We loaded up 2 of our larger kayaks and drove it a bit around town- no issues and seems very stable and no appreciable noise that we noticed but haven't yet taken it on the highway. Will try and report back after a bit fo use to see how things go.

Old 07-27-2020, 03:29 PM
I tried posting an update but seems it did not go through yet.
Yakima rack is great. We put about 400 miles on the Fit with the rack holding 3 whitewater kayaks and had zero issues. If someone else is needing a rack on their Fit, we used the following components:
Yakima Corebar crossbars (2)
Yakima Baseline towers (4)
Yakima Fit kit BC143 (2)

Rack fits perfectly and no issues with it moving around or denting the car roof or anything. I highly recommend this rack for the circa 2010 Fit.

Old 07-27-2020, 03:33 PM
Here are a couple of pictures.

Old 07-27-2020, 03:55 PM
Originally Posted by Kayaker1
I tried posting an update but seems it did not go through yet.
Yakima rack is great. We put about 400 miles on the Fit with the rack holding 3 whitewater kayaks and had zero issues. If someone else is needing a rack on their Fit, we used the following components:
Yakima Corebar crossbars (2)
Yakima Baseline towers (4)
Yakima Fit kit BC143 (2)

Rack fits perfectly and no issues with it moving around or denting the car roof or anything. I highly recommend this rack for the circa 2010 Fit.
Great to hear. And glad it all worked out.

Old 05-31-2021, 07:43 PM
Cool Does the rubber strip on the roof peel back for a rack?

Hello, I am brand new to the Fit Freaks and have already committed a faux pas by asking a question about my Second Generation 2013 Fit in a Third Generation thread! I will try to get the hang of it. So, we are starting to look into the possibility of installing a roof rack for hauling kayaks too, and wondered if this roof is "rack ready". Do the rubber strips peel out so you can install a rack in the channels? I might have broken my rubber seal a little bit by pulling it up to inspect, and the tiny metal clasp that holds the rubber strip in place broke off of the rubber. Any help is appreciated. Thanks! Rachel

Old 06-08-2021, 11:51 AM
5 Year Member
That rubber piece is just to hide the roof welds. Unlike BMW, there are no attachment points under the rubber strip.

Old 06-18-2021, 05:56 PM
Agreed - the roof rack systems will install on top of the rubber strips typically. No need to worry.

Old 06-23-2021, 09:02 AM
5 Year Member
My Thule rack is awesome. Ive had it on both a 2009 and 2013 model. Zero problems. Not cheap, but cheaper than having a kayak fall off the car