2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

a smooth and fantastic hillbilly

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2020, 10:31 AM
a smooth and fantastic hillbilly

hello all, i have recently purchased a 2009 base after my previous daily was totaled. i like ownership/build threads, they help me keep track of maintenance and such. i am not new to cars, and i am hardly new to the fit after having an enthused friend let me drive his for hundreds of miles. also after spending too much time online about how they like to shoot plugs out of their heads. on that note, as soon as i had the car in my possession, i purchased plugs and coils to replace the unknown condition plugs, in an effort to combat plug ejection.

this is the least rusty car i have ever owned by a mile, and i looooove it. working on everything is 60x easier, hopefully i keep this car in a similar state for years to come.

the car has 155,000 miles on it and came with a fucked up bumper. i ordered a 2009-11 sport front bumper and replaced it promptly. some of the metal is fucked underneath, but it's all nonessential and frankly i do not care.

eventually the car will be lowered/have decent wheels, and i actually like how the car looks with just the sport bumper. i generally like 'heavier' aero in the front, especially on hatchbacks. for now i am saving money to build and repair my miata

hope to learn more about ge8 and find some other cool threads here!

Old 07-15-2020, 11:50 AM
5 Year Member
Streets closed. Find another way home pizza boy.

Old 07-15-2020, 01:10 PM
Welcome aboard!

On a side note, I did not know swear words would pass filter. No judgment here - just thought we had a filter on FF.

Old 07-15-2020, 04:12 PM
5 Year Member
I've seen your Miata somewhere on the interwebz before. Not sure where. Do you slide it? I too have one of those me-otters.

Welcome aboard, by the way!

Old 07-15-2020, 04:31 PM
Originally Posted by mike410b
Streets closed. Find another way home pizza boy.
bosnia

Originally Posted by marmaladedad
Welcome aboard!

On a side note, I did not know swear words would pass filter. No judgment here - just thought we had a filter on FF.
thanks!

Originally Posted by julianachos
I've seen your Miata somewhere on the interwebz before. Not sure where. Do you slide it? I too have one of those me-otters.

Welcome aboard, by the way!
oh word? your 500,000 mile car was enough to sway me to fit ownership haha. eventually one day i would like to drift the car, no time in the near future due to being poor. i was just talking to mike410b about highlighter yellow wheels today too

Old 07-16-2020, 09:45 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Cuckles
oh word? your 500,000 mile car was enough to sway me to fit ownership haha. eventually one day i would like to drift the car, no time in the near future due to being poor. i was just talking to mike410b about highlighter yellow wheels today too
Haha glad my Fit was enough to convince you to get one yourself! I think I was confusing it with another black NA, but I now remember seeing yours on CR. The yellow hardtop stood out. I miss my highlighter wheels some days.

Old 07-19-2020, 11:14 AM
5 Year Member
I appreciate yer background and am stoked to see someone enthusiastic about this little car's performance stock. Though some of the maintenance is a bit time consuming due to cowls under the hood and such, I've really enjoyed working on it (aided by its positively stellar and reasonably priced service manual from Bishko). I'd recommend picking up some extra body panel clips for the cowls, namely the one against the windshield. Oh, and the small trim pieces that covers the hinges of the hood, they're called hood hinge covers.. and cost about 15-17 bucks. I lost three of em so far and felt it worth mentioning
Oh, and
here here
is a link to amazon to purchase the clips mentioned earlier. and here's https://www.frankstools.com/ktctrplap.html to a specialty plier on frankstools for speeding up management of button top clips on the front bumper and under cowl. Not essential, but seriously my favorite tool. Speeds stuff up a lot, and that site has the best pricing by far.
Looking forward to seeing you around!
​​​​

Old 07-20-2020, 10:07 AM
Originally Posted by Pyts
I appreciate yer background and am stoked to see someone enthusiastic about this little car's performance stock. Though some of the maintenance is a bit time consuming due to cowls under the hood and such, I've really enjoyed working on it (aided by its positively stellar and reasonably priced service manual from Bishko). I'd recommend picking up some extra body panel clips for the cowls, namely the one against the windshield. Oh, and the small trim pieces that covers the hinges of the hood, they're called hood hinge covers.. and cost about 15-17 bucks. I lost three of em so far and felt it worth mentioning
Oh, and here is a link to amazon to purchase the clips mentioned earlier. and here's another to a specialty plier on frankstools for speeding up management of button top clips on the front bumper and under cowl. Not essential, but seriously my favorite tool. Speeds stuff up a lot, and that site has the best pricing by far.
Looking forward to seeing you around!
​​​​
Thanks! I definitely broke a handful of clips, I tend to replace them with zipties if I can (cheaper and always on hand). So far I love working on this car, hugely refreshing that is has little to no rust. The cowl doesnt bother me, as it only takes an extra 10 minutes or so.

My steering wheel is pretty trashed in this car, it looks like the 8th gen civic wheels would fit? Base model ge8 wheels are hard to come by I guess.

Old 11-08-2020, 05:45 PM
got some enkei j10 secondhand for a good price, 17x7 +42 with 205/45r17. they look pretty good i think, but the tire is way too big. i'll likely replace with 195/45 in the future, but they work for now. i still plan on lowering it, but i also want to get the car polished and cleaned inside/out before winter and lowered car in winter isn't great.

Old 11-17-2020, 08:12 AM
ended up installing megan ez streets this weekend. so far I am enjoying them, despite being a pita install. this is not a fault of the coilovers but rather me being scatterbrained and frustrated. i also picked up a set of volk gtc and installed them very briefly before i fully adjusted the ride height. they looked really cool in person but one tire is leaking hardcore and a different wheel is a little bent. soooo i switched back to the enkeis. i am hoping the springs settle some and it fixes my current wonky ride height, i am sick of adjusting the coilovers haha. oh and i changed the mtf fluid, shifting feels noticeably better now.

volk gt-c:

enkei j10:

pictures are bad because it was cold and I had to pee

Old 11-17-2020, 01:05 PM
Very nice stance and wheel combo.

Old 11-17-2020, 11:00 PM
5 Year Member
OP can you confirm springs your and ride height is cool?

Old 11-18-2020, 07:41 AM
Originally Posted by fitsmyfit
Very nice stance and wheel combo.
thanks dood

Originally Posted by mike410b
OP can you confirm springs your and ride height is cool?
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Last edited by Cuckles; 11-20-2020 at 02:26 PM.
Old 11-20-2020, 02:26 PM
mmkay also: i found this leak when doing my MTF change. looks like this is called the "32mm sealing screw" which means nothing to me. is this something common? can it be remedied? I tried to search the best I could but could not find much. thanks!

need to polish my headlights and put some touch up paint on a lot of places, other wise it looks cool now that the height has settled: