2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

question about innovative mount install

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2020, 08:07 PM
5 Year Member
question about innovative mount install

Just received my Innovative Mounts engine mount kit for my 2009 GE8. Quick question about the passenger side mount for those who have been through the install.

The stock mount on the passenger side is threaded. My understanding is that I just need to get a nut for the bolt to install the innovative mount. BUT, I'm wondering if there are supposed to be any aluminum top and bottom hats that go on the top and bottom of the poly mount - specifically between the mount and the engine hanger bracket. I've seen a lot of pics online of CR-Z kits and what I'm assuming are GE8 kits with these aluminum spacers on each side of the poly mount. My kit did not come with any hardware, and I want to make sure that I'm not missing anything (aside from the nut) before I start to get into the install. Is it OK to have the engine hanger bracket mounted directly onto the poly Innovative mount with no spacer?

Pls see the attached pics for reference to the spacer I'm talking about. Thanks in advance!

Old 06-27-2020, 12:42 PM
5 Year Member
Duuude, you've gotta tell me how you like these after you're all set.
I like the idea of adding a washer to the mounts (or a flange nut!), whether or not it's recommended, provided it doesn't screw up how the mount/s sit.
I love the stock mounts as they do an incredible job of isolating engine vibration, but they're freaking expensive. I think going with the ones from innovative is actually significantly cheaper, plus they have that sweet lifetime warranty on the mounts AND bushings if you purchase directly from them. I wish I could help you with your question, but I think you should reach out to the manufacturer. I don't think they'll keep you waiting for too long.
These mounts didn't achieve popularity in the community because of some claims about poor fitment (or so I've read) so I'm doubtful that you'll find the insight you want here. Hopefully I'm jinxing it for yuh and someone will chime in

EDIT: On second thought, it looks like innovative just cheaped out on the hardware. Im sure it'll work, but i'd definitely like to see a washer or (preferably) a big ol flange nut up top. Just using that little hex nut is gonna wreck up the pretty machined finish on that mount bracket
As I mentioned in another post recently, i'd recommend hitting up a real hardware store/construction supply store like ababa bolt, or fastenal, and bring the new nut with you, ask to see their options. at least washer it if not.. thats some f*ckery. Reduced surface area!

Last edited by Pyts; 06-27-2020 at 01:03 PM.
Old 06-27-2020, 01:38 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks pyts!

I’m at about 120k miles and was getting a lot of extra noise and vibrations under acceleration. I checked and my driver side mount is completely shot. You’re right about the cost of the other parts. Might as well “upgrade” to something else when it’s time to replace.

I will definitely keep hitting up innovative directly and see what they say (been getting vm). And I’ll let you know how the install goes and how it drives after.

Old 06-30-2020, 03:28 PM
5 Year Member
Just closing the loop here. Just spoke with Joey at Innovative and the kit is supposed to come with additional hardware. They are sending me the missing pieces:

- 14ALUMWASHER-2
- M14 X 100mm-1
- 14MM WASHER-1

​​​​​​​I hope this is helpful for anyone else planning on installing the same mounts. I'll follow up with a ride report in a couple of weeks after I get a chance to get them installed.

-Rob

Old 09-01-2020, 11:10 AM
5 Year Member
Hey hey!! How's it going?
How are those engine mounts treating you?

Old 09-02-2020, 04:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Pyts
Hey hey!! How's it going?
How are those engine mounts treating you?
Also interested! Looks like they only offer the 75A and discontinued the 65A. I read for other cars that there were issues with the 65A sagging over time.

Old 09-04-2020, 07:28 AM
5 Year Member
I just did a 75 Durometer set. The passenger side mount needed clearancing on the base, was missing the washer, and the 14mm bolt was short. It also didn't line up quite right. Still...it works.

There is significant noise and vibration at idle. Noise is increased under load to 4k rpm. At around 3k there's an annoying buzz coming from the passenger side cabin (door, maybe), and it's pretty noisy under 3k. Above 4k cruising it's pretty much as normal. My stock mounts were pretty sloppy as I had a bunch of rear view mirror shake at highway speeds which is largely eliminated and shifting under load was difficult.

The front end feels a lot more solid. The engine isn't jumping about starting from a stop, hill starts and starting from a stop have a lot less monkey motion and drama going on, and you don't feel the engine flop about at startup. Under load it actually feels smoother. The front suspension is less pitchy when accelerating or decelerating...and wheel hop is all but gone. It is noisy below 3k RPM and under load. Exhaust sounds and engine noise is amplified from normal. At interstate speeds it's not much different. If it wasn't for an annoying buzz at around 3k and some fitment issues I'd be perfectly happy with it. That said, it beats the floppy, sloppy mounts.

Also noted is that shifting is smoother and more direct, especially under load.

Overall I like it, annoying fitment and hardware issues aside.

It used to be possible to physically grab the engine and rock it about. Now it goes no where.

Old 09-04-2020, 07:23 PM
5 Year Member
I'll chime back in as well and second pretty much everything Rick just said. I have about a month (with minimal driving) on the new mounts so far. If there was one way to describe them, it's "connected".

The good: I can't believe how solid the car feels -- particularly when it comes to shifting. The shifting is almost telepathic. Definite 100% performance improvement. But, you have to decide if that's worth the trade offs.

The bad: More vibes. Not terrible, but definitely not 'nothing' -- especially at idle. More noise. Again, not terrible, but you'll definitely start searching around for what is causing random rattles. (I even had to take my passenger mirror apart to fix a 10-year old rattle that became instantly unbearable). Still tracking down a few other noises, but I can deal with it And finally, customer service. It's almost like this company is run by a couple of drunk teens out of their parents' basement. My kit came with no hardware for the passenger side mount. After numerous emails and calls, I finally got through and they sent out the right parts. I had the same interference issue on the passenger mount that a few walks of a hammer to the sheetmetal took care of. The rear mount was too wide and had to be ground down a hair to slip into position. And when installing, I noticed that they put the wrong sized metal insert sleeve in the rear mount so the stock Honda bolt would not fit. After a few more emails I gave up and just drilled it out a bit. Not ideal, but it seems to be fine. I'm currently in the email and phone loop process again trying to get them to send me the right one that is actually designed to fit the stock M14 bolt so I at least have what was supposed to come with the kit.

Summary: If you need new motor mounts because your old ones are worn and sloppy and you do most of your driving solo, go for it. If you're single and don't plan on having your significant other complain from the passenger seat, go for it. If you don't care about some extra noise in the cabin and don't have to take calls on the road, go for it. If you want your 117-horsepower car to feel a hell of a lot more fun than it should, go fo it. I'm not not sure I'd bother with these if I had an automatic considering you'd get all of the bad (extra vibes and noise) and none of the good (super direct manual shift feel), but if you have a manual, go for it.

Last edited by teamkitty; 09-04-2020 at 11:00 PM.
Old 09-05-2020, 11:13 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by teamkitty
The bad: More vibes. Not terrible, but definitely not 'nothing' -- especially at idle. More noise. Again, not terrible, but you'll definitely start searching around for what is causing random rattles. (I even had to take my passenger mirror apart to fix a 10-year old rattle that became instantly unbearable). Still tracking down a few other noises, but I can deal with it And finally, customer service. It's almost like this company is run by a couple of drunk teens out of their parents' basement. My kit came with no hardware for the passenger side mount. After numerous emails and calls, I finally got through and they sent out the right parts. I had the same interference issue on the passenger mount that a few walks of a hammer to the sheetmetal took care of. The rear mount was too wide and had to be ground down a hair to slip into position. And when installing, I noticed that they put the wrong sized metal insert sleeve in the rear mount so the stock Honda bolt would not fit. After a few more emails I gave up and just drilled it out a bit. Not ideal, but it seems to be fine. I'm currently in the email and phone loop process again trying to get them to send me the right one that is actually designed to fit the stock M14 bolt so I at least have what was supposed to come with the kit.
It's my understanding that with some helicopters, specifically those meant to carry loads, virtually every bolt gets a dab of locktite. I know something like that wouldnt solve all dashboard issues though. This sounds like a bit of a pain, but the promise of better shifting is tempting.
An option for the mount may be to have it bored out at a machine shop (someone with a drill press) and mallet a little sleeve in. The thing that concerns me most is the sheet metal mentioned (even if it is small tatoes). I'd prefer to modify the mount v. the car, but can definitely understand. I tried once replacing upper control arms on a second gen tacoma prerunner. it had a 14ish inch thru bolt that interfered with the body when removing/installing. Severely. apparently guys torched the sheet metal there to bend said panel in the wheel well out of the way, then torched it again to bend it back into place. I didn't have a torch.. but did have bad advice from a friend that led to the bolt being bent significantly and later replaced by someone else.
I don't get how a company can make such things.. and.. you know.. sell them. with errors!

If you could take a picture or two of the modified areas maybe during your next oil change, that'd be super appreciated!

Old 09-07-2020, 05:55 AM
5 Year Member