2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

No more broken fog lights; A permanent fix

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2020, 03:57 PM
No more broken fog lights; A permanent fix

Hey there, I'm pretty new to the Fit community, but have learned a lot from you all so far so shoutout to you guys! I got my Fit (09 Sport AT) just about 6 months ago with 47k miles on it, but much to my dismay, I have replaced 3 fog lights in that same time frame. I love the car for many reasons: it's fun to drive, it has plenty of cargo space to hold basically whatever I need, and it's fairly easy to work on! What's not to love? Unfortunately, the fog light design is what. I love the way they look, but basically every GE Fit Sport that I see (I see about 5-10 a day here in the Bay Area) has one or both of their fog lights broken. When I bought my car, it came with both OEM fog lights broken, so I replaced them with these https://www.carparts.com/fog-light/r...set-reph107519 which, as many of you may know, are not an exact fit in the fog light housing. With minimal modification to the housing I was able to fit these fog lights in, albeit they did not sit flush to the front of the housing. I also used Headlight armor to change the tint of my fog lights to yellow as well as protect them from further damage. About 3 months go by, when I realize that the headlight armor had failed and I had yet another broken fog light. This is when I got desperate. I reached out to Headlight armor and informed them of what happened, they told me all that they could do was sell me a discounted replacement tint and cover shipping (wasn't ecstatic about this, but I liked the way the yellow tint looked and still had one headlight with the tint on so I purchased the replacement. I purchased a new foglight and attached the replacement tint, but I knew this wasn't a good solution, so I decided to take the protection a step further: using the same mesh that I used for my lower grille modification (similar to one shown here https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...le-insert.html) I was able to fashion a guard inside the foglight housing that takes advantage of the extra space that's given when replacing the OEM fog lights with the ones I mentioned above. It was a very easy mod that required about 10 minutes of work at most, and the mesh is very secure because it is held down by the screws that hold the housing together. I have attached picture for convenience, please tell me what you think. I'm really digging the look myself haha.

Old 06-13-2020, 09:31 PM
5 Year Member
This is super nifty! I might have to try this out myself.

Old 06-13-2020, 11:20 PM
5 Year Member
Looks great!!!

Old 03-27-2021, 07:05 PM
5 Year Member
Well sadly, I glanced at my 2012 white Fit today and noticed the passenger fog light was cracked! Waaaaa

This must have happened recently, since there was a 5mm hole right in the center of the glass; there was a little pile of road grit piled up in the enclosure; but the light still worked.

Not to thread jack, but I have to reply to SOME fog light thread or else make yet another

I figured, it's dry today - if I can get this sealed up before it collects moisture in it, I might be OK. So I used clear silicone to seal up the hole and provide a little rigidity to the glass. That won't make it 100% moisture proof, though, so I ordered some cheap clear vinyl that should arrive tomorrow. I will cover it over with that.

I wouldn't rely on my normal headlights if cracked ... but this is a non critical part. And if it lights up and doesn't start pooling water, I'm good with that.

Old 03-28-2021, 10:59 AM
5 Year Member
You can also clear bra them. That helps a ton with rock dings and cracked glass.