2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Cheap Duplicate Keys with Glue?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2020, 01:03 PM
Cheap Duplicate Keys with Glue?

Hello!

I just purchased a 2010 Honda Fit, and only got 1 key with it. After searching for a few hours on the internet, I have determined the best way to get more keys is to take the 1 key i have, hot glue it near the ignition (Some suggest removing the metal key itself... this seems too risky to me), and then purchasing cheap replacement keys, programming the lock/unlock functions and having it cut to size.

Dealers seem to charge $100ish for a replacement key, so I can pay $100 for this key, or pay around $30 a key (2x for 2 new keys) that should work because the RFID chip is near the ignition.

Has anyone successfully done this?

Old 02-25-2020, 06:07 PM
5 Year Member
To get a second key I believe you're better off calling a couple Honda dealerships' parts departments and explain your situation. Get a quote from them for them providing the blank key and cutting it for you. You can do the programming of the key by using instructions you can find on the internet- or better yet, have them throw in the programming too. Programming is a simple process if you have a functioning key plus the new key.

As another possibility, call a locksmith or two and get a quote for you bringing in a new key, which you can buy on Ebay for under $15.00, and ask them what they would charge you to cut the key. Again, you can program the key yourself.

You are better off not trying to glue the chip from your sole working key to the ignition switch area, which would circumvent your car's factory security system and allow someone with a heads-up that your ignition is compromised with the glued chip into starting and stealing your car with a shaved key.

Old 02-26-2020, 12:01 AM
5 Year Member
You can't program the immobilizer without HDS or equivalent.

Old 02-26-2020, 02:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by howarejew
You can't program the immobilizer without HDS or equivalent.
My bad- I neglected to mention in my earlier post that the immobilizer chip in the new transmitter/key also needs to be programmed to the car's computer. This is done through the OBD2 port under the dash of the car. Just FYI, I called a Ace Hardware in my area and they can provide the new key, cut it and program the immobilizer chip to the car's computer for $130.00. This gives you a negotiating point if you choose to use a Honda dealer to provide the new key.

The additional step I mentioned earlier is programming the transmitter's keyless entry feature which can be found here: https://www.hondapartsonline.net/blo...r-honda-remote. I hope this helps.

Old 02-27-2020, 09:02 AM
Thanks ChevyDan. I've seen how to program the remote stuff myself, but $130 for a key for a car I paid $5500 for is just crazy. I was hoping this workaround would work.

I asked this same question on another forum,and people said that the distance has to be very close to the ignition to fool it, AND i'm concerned about knocking the old fob that i've glued/taped to the steering column off while driving... would that turn the car off? That is a safety issue, if so and worth the $100 if i'm one knee-brush away from turning my car off at 80mph....

Old 02-27-2020, 09:24 AM
Originally Posted by mgmny
Thanks ChevyDan. I've seen how to program the remote stuff myself, but $130 for a key for a car I paid $5500 for is just crazy. I was hoping this workaround would work.

I asked this same question on another forum,and people said that the distance has to be very close to the ignition to fool it, AND i'm concerned about knocking the old fob that i've glued/taped to the steering column off while driving... would that turn the car off? That is a safety issue, if so and worth the $100 if i'm one knee-brush away from turning my car off at 80mph....
My perspective on this is the convenience of having a second key, without having to hot-glue the RFID key along with the risk of knocking it off, is worth $130. That is roughly what I paid for a mobile locksmith to make a second key for me.

Old 02-27-2020, 12:21 PM
5 Year Member
I've seen how to program the remote stuff myself, but $130 for a key for a car I paid $5500 for is just crazy. I was hoping this workaround would work.
I'll be the asshole to LOL at this and admit it...

This is what you *could* do if you are really cheap:

Remove the chip and tape/glue it on the panel from behind near the ignition cylinder, buy a second key for cheap, get it cut for cheap (my local dealer cut it for $10) and do the keyless activation yourself.

Or if you are genuinely concerned about your car potentially turning off while doing highway speeds because your immobilizer chip fell off, get a new key and suck it up.

Old 02-29-2020, 04:09 PM
5 Year Member
The engine won’t shut off with the chip gone. My first key broke and I kept using it for a while by starting the car with the fob in position and then tossing it in the cup holder. I even left the key part in the ignition and just took the fob with me when getting out. It was like having a fancy keyless car 😂

also I don’t think taking the chip out is a simple job for the 2010. Ours doesn’t look like that pic. I popped mine open and there is no obvious chip compartment. I suspect it is molded in at the base of the key stalk. I found my broken fob but not the key part, so I’m still not sure 🤔

Last edited by punx45; 02-29-2020 at 04:58 PM.
Old 02-29-2020, 10:47 PM
5 Year Member
The black rectangle thing soldered to the board is the immobilizer chip

Old 03-02-2020, 09:24 AM
Hmmm thanks for all the thoughtful replies. I'm a little concerned about ripping my key apart and potentially damaging the immobilizer chip in the process. Then, I'd be out the 1 key I had, PLUS i wouldn't be able to drive to the dealer to purchase the replacement... I think i will need to noodle on this a bit more.

I called the closest Honda dealer, and they wanted $173 all in... The Hardware/locksmiths near me apparently don't have the codes for our car.

Old 03-02-2020, 12:10 PM
5 Year Member
You don’t necessarily need to remove the chip. It will register as long as the fob is in close proximity to the cylinder.

that doesn’t Really help if the key is lost though 🤔

Old 03-03-2020, 10:53 AM
Originally Posted by punx45
You don’t necessarily need to remove the chip. It will register as long as the fob is in close proximity to the cylinder.

that doesn’t Really help if the key is lost though 🤔
Someone else mentioned that it needs to be "really" close to the cylinder, and 6" away under the steering column may not cut it?

Old 03-03-2020, 11:27 AM
5 Year Member
Someone else mentioned that it needs to be "really" close to the cylinder, and 6" away under the steering column may not cut it?
I think like 1/2" max.

Old 03-03-2020, 09:50 PM
5 Year Member
When I was using the key in 2 pieces it was really picky. It basically had to be no further than it would be under normal conditions.