2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Taller/Custom MT 5th Gear for 2009-12 USDM Fit

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2019, 07:34 PM
Taller/Custom MT 5th Gear for 2009-12 USDM Fit

I'm presently interested in acquiring a USDM 2nd generation(09-12) Fit, however, I loathe how poorly geared the very short 5th gear is in these cars? Does anybody make a taller 5th gear, and/or know of companies that make custom 5th gears? Are any of the overseas transmissions running a swappable 5th gear that is taller?

Old 12-02-2019, 08:29 AM
5 Year Member
Not really confident anyone makes aftermarket gear boxes or gears for our Fit. There really isn't a demand for it. I personally like it, it gets into the power band around 75 in 5th so there isn't a need to downshift.

That said, the CRZ has a .689 6th gear compared to the Fit's .73. I really doubt the transmissions are direct swappable but worth looking into

Old 12-02-2019, 11:09 AM
5 Year Member
The main draw back of a taller 5th would be the heightened need to downshift to maintain speed on any sort of grade or in passing situations.

Old 12-02-2019, 03:14 PM
5 Year Member
Because Euro road speeds are so high, Euro Fits must be running taller gears than US or Japanese fits that putter around at 80mph. Also cotinental Europeans are accoustmed to slow acceleration but brutal high speeds and very stiff suspensions.

I think the Euro engine management will be set to the different gears, emissions, etc. so don't think this would be a simple box swap for optimal performance.

Last edited by Fiting; 12-02-2019 at 03:16 PM.
Old 12-02-2019, 03:24 PM
will buying final drive from mfactory achive that?

Old 12-02-2019, 04:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fiting
Because Euro road speeds are so high, Euro Fits must be running taller gears than US or Japanese fits that putter around at 80mph. Also cotinental Europeans are accoustmed to slow acceleration but brutal high speeds and very stiff suspensions.

I think the Euro engine management will be set to the different gears, emissions, etc. so don't think this would be a simple box swap for optimal performance.
I dont buy that Euro roads warrant a different transmission. So much so that I went and looked. The USDM, JDM and Euro Fits with the 1.5L manual all share the same internal ratios:

1st: 3.308.
2nd: 1.870.
3rd: 1.303.
4th: 0.949.
5th: 0.727.
Reverse: 3.308.
Final Drive: 4.620.

The Euro and JDM editions of the 1.3L manual trans both share the same ratios, albeit different from the 1.5L:

I 3.307 (14.2)
II 1.75 (7.51)
III 1.171 (5.03)
IV 0.853 (3.66)
V 0.727 (3.12)
Final Drive: 4.294

India had a 1.2L engine as an option but I can find no information regarding transmissions. In any event that would be extremely expensive for Honda to use more than one version of a transmission dependent on region. I used to build engines and transmissions for the previous generation Mercedes GLE, GLS and GLE coupe and they all shared the same transmissions across regions, with the only variations being between engine types. If Merc can't justify a different set of cogs for an 80K luxury SUV I guarantee Honda wouldnt for an economy car.

Old 12-02-2019, 11:32 PM
Originally Posted by Red 05
Not really confident anyone makes aftermarket gear boxes or gears for our Fit. There really isn't a demand for it. I personally like it, it gets into the power band around 75 in 5th so there isn't a need to downshift.

That said, the CRZ has a .689 6th gear compared to the Fit's .73. I really doubt the transmissions are direct swappable but worth looking into
I come from a racing background, but one of the biggest appeals of a MT on a street car for me is fuel economy. These guys are really lazily geared. If I need to pass, I will be downshifting anyways, as it's just a simple downshift, which is what MT are geared to do. I've looked at the CRZ 6th gear...not sure if it works, but even with the CRZ 6th gear and taller Mfactory final drive together, the automatic Fit is still more fuel efficient at cruising RPM. I really don't want an automatic but if that's the only way to cruise below 3000rpm at 70mph, then that might be the hand I'm forced to be dealt with unless I tap into my race counterparts and have somebody custom machine a 5th gear. I'm looking for something more in the 0.500 range for 5th gear.

Old 12-02-2019, 11:34 PM
Originally Posted by mike410b
The main draw back of a taller 5th would be the heightened need to downshift to maintain speed on any sort of grade or in passing situations.
I'd be downshifting anyways lol. That's the appeal of a MT. I'm not that lazy. Lol. An added 7-8mpg would be a nice trade off, when I could cruise with 1200 less RPM.

Old 12-02-2019, 11:37 PM
Originally Posted by Rap SantOs
will buying final drive from mfactory achive that?
I've looked at that, and it helps, but honestly it's a mild improvement of a couple hundred RPM. All I need 5th gear to be is an overdrive, so I'm looking for about 1200 less RPM, and I'd rather keep the acceleration gears the same, albeit if they made a significantly taller final drive, I'd be interested.

Old 12-02-2019, 11:45 PM
I dont buy that Euro roads warrant a different transmission. So much so that I went and looked. The USDM, JDM and Euro Fits with the 1.5L manual all share the same internal ratios:

1st: 3.308.
2nd: 1.870.
3rd: 1.303.
4th: 0.949.
5th: 0.727.
Reverse: 3.308.
Final Drive: 4.620.

The Euro and JDM editions of the 1.3L manual trans both share the same ratios, albeit different from the 1.5L:

I 3.307 (14.2)
II 1.75 (7.51)
III 1.171 (5.03)
IV 0.853 (3.66)
V 0.727 (3.12)
Final Drive: 4.294

India had a 1.2L engine as an option but I can find no information regarding transmissions. In any event that would be extremely expensive for Honda to use more than one version of a transmission dependent on region. I used to build engines and transmissions for the previous generation Mercedes GLE, GLS and GLE coupe and they all shared the same transmissions across regions, with the only variations being between engine types. If Merc can't justify a different set of cogs for an 80K luxury SUV I guarantee Honda wouldnt for an economy car.
That's interesting. Definitely way better than other markets. The US is way to acceleration happy, rather than being practical by just downshifting. It's ridiculous how drastic the difference in gearing is between the automatic and manual.

Old 12-03-2019, 07:45 AM
5 Year Member
Heads up, the auto is less fuel efficient until the 2015+ Fits.

Old 12-03-2019, 09:36 AM
5 Year Member
Would be nice if the GK's 6-speed bolts onto the GE's L15, then get a custom 6th gear made for fuel economy.

Old 12-03-2019, 10:56 AM
5 Year Member
I dont buy that Euro roads warrant a different transmission. So much so that I went and looked. The USDM, JDM and Euro Fits with the 1.5L manual all share the same internal ratios
Good research @Red 05 !

I like the Fit but this would be a terrible car on contintenal European highways. Imagine running at 90mph+; fuel at $6 /gallon and noise make this a non-starter. The noise bothers me at 65 mph when we are on the highway here.

Historically, the Euro manufacturers (including Ford & GM) run more sporty suspensions, gearing and engines/tuning for European market cars.

Old 12-03-2019, 12:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fiting
Good research @Red 05 !

I like the Fit but this would be a terrible car on contintenal European highways. Imagine running at 90mph+; fuel at $6 /gallon and noise make this a non-starter. The noise bothers me at 65 mph when we are on the highway here.

Historically, the Euro manufacturers (including Ford & GM) run more sporty suspensions, gearing and engines/tuning for European market cars.
There are very few highways in the world that are unlimited or require speeds that high. For environmental purposes all limits over 55 are less than good

Old 12-03-2019, 03:06 PM
Heads up, the auto is less fuel efficient until the 2015+ Fits.
According to USDM fuel ratings the AT does better, and it is easy to explain why, however USDM fuel standards are not at a steady state of highway speeds. As a reminder, highway mpg ratings are not done at one constant speed and they are done at varying loads. My Civic VX is rated at 50mpg highway with modern estimates. 55mpg with old estimates, but I have personally hit 71mpg over 110 miles on multiple occasions.

Old 12-03-2019, 04:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 1jeffcat
According to USDM fuel ratings the AT does better, and it is easy to explain why, however USDM fuel standards are not at a steady state of highway speeds. As a reminder, highway mpg ratings are not done at one constant speed and they are done at varying loads. My Civic VX is rated at 50mpg highway with modern estimates. 55mpg with old estimates, but I have personally hit 71mpg over 110 miles on multiple occasions.
I'm talking real world. My GE is rated 33 highway and I've gotten 47 MPG in it, over a full tank of regular commuting. My GD was rated for the same and I had a couple month stretch where every tank was between 44 and 46 MPG.

I drove an auto GD for a few tanks, years back and hit 40 MPG once. The auto just isn't good in the pre-CVT cars.

Old 12-03-2019, 07:01 PM
I'm talking real world. My GE is rated 33 highway and I've gotten 47 MPG in it, over a full tank of regular commuting. My GD was rated for the same and I had a couple month stretch where every tank was between 44 and 46 MPG.

I drove an auto GD for a few tanks, years back and hit 40 MPG once. The auto just isn't good in the pre-CVT cars.
I'd be content with those fuel economy numbers, although I'd still strive for a taller 5th gear. It just makes no sense for 5th gear to be so wasteful at nearly 3500rpm at 70mph. My little VX with 25 less hp cruises at 2100 at 70 in lean burn, which is WAAAY less hp...along the realm of 50hp at the crank when the engine is at 22.5:1 air/fuel. I realize the Fit isn't a fuel economy vehicle, but I'd like to maximize it's potential for daily use.

Old 12-03-2019, 07:40 PM
5 Year Member
I'd be content with those fuel economy numbers, although I'd still strive for a taller 5th gear. It just makes no sense for 5th gear to be so wasteful at nearly 3500rpm at 70mph. My little VX with 25 less hp cruises at 2100 at 70 in lean burn, which is WAAAY less hp...along the realm of 50hp at the crank when the engine is at 22.5:1 air/fuel. I realize the Fit isn't a fuel economy vehicle, but I'd like to maximize it's potential for daily use.
Absolutely. I agree with you.

Those old Civic VX were special things.

Old 12-03-2019, 07:47 PM
Absolutely. I agree with you.

Those old Civic VX were special things.
it still is, although having hit a deer, then rear ending an Expedition, replacing the whole front clip only to hit another deer last week has me reassessing things for the future as I repair the front end...AGAIN. The added functionality, space, and quite frankly modern utility of the Fit is hard to turn down, especially in light of my 90s honda rust. My only real turnoff are the MPGs of the Fit, hence the thread. It doesn't do bad, but coming from a racing background, I'm not one to "settle" if I don't need to. I'll have to look into some companies and machinists to see if a custom gear is plausible/affordable.

Old 12-03-2019, 08:49 PM
5 Year Member
it still is, although having hit a deer, then rear ending an Expedition, replacing the whole front clip only to hit another deer last week has me reassessing things for the future as I repair the front end...AGAIN. The added functionality, space, and quite frankly modern utility of the Fit is hard to turn down, especially in light of my 90s honda rust. My only real turnoff are the MPGs of the Fit, hence the thread. It doesn't do bad, but coming from a racing background, I'm not one to "settle" if I don't need to. I'll have to look into some companies and machinists to see if a custom gear is plausible/affordable.
If you don't already have it I can send you the service manual for the GE8's, it goes into great detail for assembly and specs for everything inside the transmission.

Quick Reply: Taller/Custom MT 5th Gear for 2009-12 USDM Fit